• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ILS Critical Area Hold Line

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow 3 pages. All these so-called professional pilots not knowing that the critical area goes into effect at <800 and/or 2 miles. Funny. The OP could have easily looked up the reg. Sheeesh. If you're not told to do so, it's prudent to hold short of the critical area under these conditions. Have some common sense.

OK, here is the reference source from the JO7110.65S (Air Traffic Control):

3-7-5. PRECISION APPROACH CRITICAL AREA
a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in FAAO 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the ILS/MLS critical area must be controlled to ensure the integrity of ILS/MLS course signals whenever conditions are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to operate in or over the critical area, except as specified in subpara a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on another runway.

This is a controller's responsibility and not the pilot's.

Lighten up Francis
OK...so if ATC tells you to taxi somplace on the airport and you take it upon yourself to stop somewhere because you think that they might want you to...maybe you gum something else up. Do you make it a habit of routinely violating clearances??? Perhaps the next time a controller tells me to descend to 10,000 feet I'll just stop at 11,000.....well because I think he might want that.

Do what you're told....this job is not that hard!

OK...so if ATC tells you to taxi somplace on the airport and you take it upon yourself to stop somewhere because you think that they might want you to...maybe you gum something else up. Do you make it a habit of routinely violating clearances??? Perhaps the next time a controller tells me to descend to 10,000 feet I'll just stop at 11,000.....well because I think he might want that.

Do what you're told....this job is not that hard!

Are you drunk?

Actually had this question in my Net Jets interview last year. The guy asking the question seemed surprised that I knew the answer. I missed everything else!:smash:

You land on 8L like we were today doing CAT 2 approaches. you are told to join Bravo westbound to Victor. Along the way there is an ILS Hold Short sign. Do you keep going???? There's one at B1 and one at B2.

According to Veneratio's article, it looks like as a landing aircraft, you are not required to hold???

Why hold short of the critical area for the departure runway?

You know what annoys me about ILS critical areas? When they are not on the 10-9 chart. Lazy people at Jepp need to get with the program.

At some airports the ILS Critical area is quite a ways from the end of the runway. Why would you stop half way to the runway when you don't need to. ATC is trying to get aircraft out quickly and some so called professional pilot who doesn't know private pilot information, stops well short of the hold line causing an unusually long taxi before takeoff when they are cleared for take off. This could really mess up the spacing the controller is trying to maintain. That is why you don't stop at the critical line when you are not told to.

If it makes you uneasy, press the button and ask ATC. The worst aviation accident in history was because the pilots were afraid to ask ATC. When in doubt, ASK!

Here's another misunderstood one. When should you hold short of the runway "Approach" sign such as 9R at KORD?

Have fun!

Latest resources

Back