Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Booker

The Ladies Man
I have some questions for airline pilots whose permanent address is in Illinois. First off, do you actually go through the silly IDOT-IDA pilot registration process? If so, do you even carry that POS card with you? I only fly to MDW and ORD these days, so what are the chances that an FAA or IDA guy would get on and actually ask to see it? Could they even take action about it, referencing the doom-and-gloom prophecy about not having it with you?

Thanks for the input!

http://www.dot.state.il.us/aero/pilotreg.html#Pilot%20Registration

Look under "who is exempt":

"A pilot operating only aircraft engaged in interstate or foreign commerce."

Keep in mind that as an airline pilot, you are engaged in interstate commerce when flying for your airline.

"Only" means just that, if you jump in your buddy's Illinois piper and fly it one time and get caught...you can get arrested, tried and convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor. In addition, if you are riding up front in right seat, say you're just giving a BFR or just enjoying the day with your pilot friend and some dough nut eating Illinois cop happens to be at the airport and sees that you have your pilot's license with you, how hard is that Logging v. Acting explanation going to pan out, when the cop sees two steering wheels up front?

So, if you "only" fly for the airlines, then you don't need to register.

1. Complete this application by providing pertinent information from your Federal Airman Certificate.

Print or type all information. Illegible or incomplete applications will be returned.

2. Make remittance payable to

State Treasurer of Illinois. The fee is $10.00 when paid within the first half of the current biennial registration cycle. Applicants who register within the second half of the current biennial cycle must pay $5.00. You may contact this office if you are unsure of the current cycle.

3. Submit check, post office draft, express telegraph or currency exchange money order with application to the following address:​

Illinois Department of Transportation Division of Aeronautics​

1 Langhorne Bond Drive / Capital Airport​

Springfield, Illinois 62707-8415

(800)-554-0247​

The Division of Aeronautics will not accept stamps and assumes no responsibility for the loss of currency sent through the mail.

http://www.dot.state.il.us/forms/aer1967.pdf

Operation of an aircraft without proper registration of a Federal Airman Certificate is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or up to one year in jail.

See 620ILCS 5/42 (1992) IL Compiled Statutes.

Last edited:
Booker said:
I have some questions for airline pilots whose permanent address is in Illinois.
And no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Dam, I should have found that myself. Sorry for making you do the legwork, but I certinaly do appreciate the info!

Anyone have a scan of what the card looks like, you can blot out your name and address.
Maybe for ten smackers, I will get me one....

Booker said:
Dam, I should have found that myself. Sorry for making you do the legwork, but I certinaly do appreciate the info!

Sometimes I like doing that kind of thing. You raised a valid question and the answer intrigued me as well.

They tax everything. Pilots, aircraft owners (we have to put that silly sticker on the plane), gun owners, drivers, cars, well like I said....EVERYTHING.

Latest resources

Back