Illegal charter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

FAA HQ is VERY serious about the issue. As I have learned, FAA HQ often has nothing to do with local FSDOs or FAA regional offices.

Often, a FSDO or regional office is shocked to learn that FAA HQ is going after an entity that has done things wrong for years in their backyard. Sometimes even the FSDO/Regional office people get taken down by FAA HQ.

cliff
YIP

As a former and now retired FAA inspector, I resemble some of those remarks. I used to get the Yellow Pages when they came out and call the numbers offering charters (that I knew had no certificate) and book a trip. Then I would show up with another devious, like me, inspector and we would actually get in the aircraft before we would identify ourselves and ask to see the charter certificate, OpsSpecs, insurance, pilot certificates, etc. Caught them redhanded all the time. They all got fines but sometimes, depending upon the NTSB Judge, the pilots would get off because we didn't fly. We won most cases as we "boarded the aircraft with the intention to fly". Finally we were told to stop doing what we were doing as it was considered by some to be entrapment. I never saw it that way because we were getting them for holding out which was clear by the Yellow Pages anyway. Oh for the good old days.

As a former and now retired FAA inspector, I resemble some of those remarks. I used to get the Yellow Pages when they came out and call the numbers offering charters (that I knew had no certificate) and book a trip. Then I would show up with another devious, like me, inspector and we would actually get in the aircraft before we would identify ourselves and ask to see the charter certificate, OpsSpecs, insurance, pilot certificates, etc. Caught them redhanded all the time. They all got fines but sometimes, depending upon the NTSB Judge, the pilots would get off because we didn't fly. We won most cases as we "boarded the aircraft with the intention to fly". Finally we were told to stop doing what we were doing as it was considered by some to be entrapment. I never saw it that way because we were getting them for holding out which was clear by the Yellow Pages anyway. Oh for the good old days.
You are so right. Those were the days, when the FAA sought to stop illegal operations and facilitate good ones. I am finding that, in some regions, these practices are no longer the norm.

After doing a questionable flight as a contract copilot in Challenger I suspected and asked the captain if this was a charter and he said that the aircraft/crew was leased to the entity that we were flying for.

Needless to say the hair on the back of my neck raised up and I decided that the money wasn't worth the possibility of a FAA action and didn't continue flying with them.

I later heard rumors that they were possibility being investigated but there were only rumors.

After going through what it took to start, run and own a legal Charter Company many years ago I applaud the FAA to do what it takes to stop 134 1/2 operators.

Sorry i dont spend tons of time making sure my sentence structure correct on a forum! Like it matters. I asked a question about whether we could report an operator not adhering to its Ops Specs on the number given. No answer was given.

I hope you spend more time paying attention to detail while you're flying then you do while you're writing.

EITHER WAY, IT MATTERS!!!!

BTW, report anything you feel that needs to be addressed but if it dosn't pertaining to an illegal charter, report it to your FSDO.

Last edited:
This is a joke. It does not work.

Flying 12.5 hours in Cessna 310 in an unavoidable 16 hour duty day is an ILLEGAL CHARTER.

Flying someone's aircraft for another party whose
trip was publicly solicited and arranged for an agreed Price, Time and Destination(s) is an ILLEGAL CHARTER.

Flying your/company's aircraft to transport my customer for less money, without an air carrier certificate and ops specs is an ILLEGAL CHARTER.

All have been detailed extensively to my FSDO, the FSDO where these aircraft are based and the appropriate FAA Regional Offices.

Months later, these operations continue.

Don't waste your time. Status Quo prevails every time!

100-1/2

i can easily see how a pilot wouldn't even know if it was an illegal charter. never knew a pilot to ask for proof of who was funding a specific flight before departure.

ya think the pilot wouldn't notice that he didn't take a 135 check with the feds?

Latest resources

Back