IL-76 Crews ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IL 76 in Iraq

I saw these planes a lot in Iraq. They were coming into Mosul airfield everyday. Also An 12's and An 24's. I believe they have a contract with DHL, some used the call sign DHX.

crash-proof said:
I've never seen any 76s though, but it would be interesting to know we have a small soviet airforce in our backyard!

Well especially out there at a certain test range in Nevada, also Ft Bliss and Ft Polk too, plenty of ex warsaw pact planes, and some from afterwards.

I took a few illicit photos of aircraft in India last year. Got some of Il-76, Il-78 tanker version, also SU-30 MKI, MiG-21

What kind of routes do these guys fly? There website shows destinations but not solid routes.... I get the feeling they do alot of domestic flying here in the US, I'm surprised the FAA allows them to operate here. If I see any of them I hope I got my camera handy :)

tex,

What is their website ? Googled around but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

texarkana said:
Hey I think the link is www.avialeasing.com

tex,

Thanks...interesting website but that's not for North American. They're going to be strictly a US-based operation with the IL-76/78 from the guy I talked with.

Wow, really? Thats interesting... Im guessing thats going to be a destination for eastern european pilots who want to get out of the cold and move over here!

bafanguy said:
It was for IL-76 crews. It's the second time this ad has been posted in the last 6 months.

I wonder how the certification works for a foreign airplane model to be flown by a US operator with US crews. Does the IL-76 have US certification ?

Ask any operator who flies an Embraer, Canadair, Airbus, or Dassault product, and they should be able to tell you about the certification process for a foreign airplane model.

bafanguy said:
It was for IL-76 crews. It's the second time this ad has been posted in the last 6 months.

I wonder how the certification works for a foreign airplane model to be flown by a US operator with US crews. Does the IL-76 have US certification ?

smell,

I didn't state my question very clearly. I guess what I was wondering is if the IL-76 is currently certified by the FAA as the other airplane types you mentioned. Obviously, many foreign-made airplanes are flown in the US.

I don't know how many Russian-made airplanes are currently certified under FAA authority. Since, to my knowledge, the IL-76 has not been operated in the US before I just wondered if it has FAA approval.

I recently talked to a guy forming a cargo operator and planning to use surplus C-17s. He told me the airplane is NOT certified for use under Part 121 and getting this approval is key to the plan working.

The operator using the IL-76 here will not be a 121 operation so maybe the certification issue isn't too big a deal. The whole thing is pretty interesting nonetheless.

I recently talked to a guy forming a cargo operator and planning to use surplus C-17s

I dont think there is such a thing as a surplus C-17.

Latest resources

Back