• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ifs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From all my experience as an IP in AETC, I've come to this conclusion. All this stuff doesn't matter. I've seen studs with plenty of previous time and I've seen the ones that show up having never been in a airplane. It's all about being motivated to learn, retain and execute under lot's o' pressure...on a daily basis.

Here's a quote from an IP to studs on their first day in the flight room..."If you give us 100%, we'll give you 110%. If you give us 85%, you're f*cked."

Last edited:
Still, it's gotta be better than going into UPT cold, no?

Strongly Agree!

The product that comes out of the current version of IFS is very well prepared for UPT. There are no surprises when the stud shows up at UPT. Wings have been very happy with how prepared the graduates of IFS are.

Here's a quote from an IP to studs on their first day in the flight room..."If you give us 100%, we'll give you 110%. If you give us 85%, you're f*cked."

Good point, though one thing that you can't discount is timing. Back in the early 90's, when UPT production was cut back to 25%, you can give a 100% or even 120% and they were still looking to washout us out. I don't know how UPT is like thesedays but about 7-8 years ago, during yet another pilot shortage, you couldn't get rid of Stan even if they were dumb and dangerous. I remember flying with a stud on his last ride (third ride after 2 tacos in a row) before washingout, this kid could not fly to save his life and didn't even know his stuff. Long story short, I gave him the 3rd taco but the "upper leadership" reinstated Stan. Believe me, if there was ever a Santa, I was him.

The part that bothers me is sending a highly qualified Pilot through this program. You all have made some good points about a newbie learning the basics of weather, aimpoint/airspeed, navigation etc... But again, what the hell does a 1000 hour Pilot get out of it? Teaching them to chair fly and brief? Give me a break guys.

And a 10-15% wash out rate? You've got to be kidding me. What could you possibly be washing them out for? Acro, airsickness, G's...uh probably not. Academics...doubt it. Anyone who has graduated college could learn general aviation. Failure to adapt to what? The only thing I can imagine is your 1 in 100 who is just a plain a$$hole, and should have never been given the opportunity. You'll find that guy in every organization including active flying squadrons.

One other question...do you guys where nomex and fly around with gloves on?

I'm about 50/50 on the merits of the program for UPT candidates with no flying time. But sending anyone through this with any significant amount of flight time (PPL license) is a waste of tax dollars.

I think you can get a waiver for IFS. Personally, I don't think I could have kept my sanity in a bug smasher at that point in my career. As far as it preparing you for UPT, if you don't have any experience that's a valid point. If you already know how to fly then you just live in your own world for the haze phase at UPT..... It's unfortunate that the air force doesn't send more experienced pilots to instruct at UPT, that'd make the program a lot better in some regards. It's not a knock on first assignment instructors personally, but there is only so much that you're going to know at that point. Then again, I'm just a traditional guard guy...what do I know?

Latest resources

Back