Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZaviator

El Capitan
Am I the only one who is getting tired of IFR holding when going into PHX during the day or evening while the weather is clear and no clouds? I understand they have to do this due to volume but it just seems ridiculous given the weather conditions and for an airport that has 3 runways.

My question is; do other large high volume airports (ORD, LAX, JFK, MIA, DFW, etc) hold aircraft in VFR conditions due to volume, or is this just a Phoenix thing?

Try calling PHX TRACON for a void time clearance out of a non-towered field in IMC.:rolleyes:

I once got a 2 minute void time from my cell phone after doing the runup at the approach end...others who tried were flat-out turned down.

I've normally got no beefs with PHX TRACON and quite frankly, I've had many positive experiences with them, however, I've heard your complaint a lot.

Once I was slowed to .70 over Texas for spacing into PHX. I was stunned. I have never been slowed that far out from any major airport in my life. (It was VFR). They wanted me to go slower but at the altitude I was at it would have been unsafe.Oh yea, when I got there I didn't see much traffic at all. I think since everyone was 30 miles in trail might have had something to do with it.

User997 said:
What kind of aircraft are you flying when they make you hold?

I fly a turboprop, but ABQ Center is having just about everyone holding including all the airlines and larger jets.

Do other large airports have this same problem when the airport and surrounding area is reporting VFR??

AZaviator said:
My question is; do other large high volume airports (ORD, LAX, JFK, MIA, DFW, etc) hold aircraft in VFR conditions due to volume, or is this just a Phoenix thing?
I've fown into Phoenix a lot and I've never had a problem there. Where I've run into holding is at Charlotte, NC. It seems like if there's ever a cloud within a 1,000 mile radias of CLT you can expect to hold.
Other than Charolette, you'll frequently get holds going into SFO, but at least there, they'll often give you a ground hold.

'Sled

AZaviator said:
I fly a turboprop, but ABQ Center is having just about everyone holding including all the airlines and larger jets.
Do you fly the white ones with the blue stripe? If so, can't you cancel and go in VFR, or is that only allowed in the lances?

Latest resources

Back