• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IFR holding in VFR Phoenix

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I remember correctly, the old IFR 1,2,3 rule has a different definition in PHX.

1 cloud + 2 airplanes = 3 hour delay

NewBlue said:
If I remember correctly, the old IFR 1,2,3 rule has a different definition in PHX.

1 cloud + 2 airplanes = 3 hour delay

Actually, that was the old IFR rule for PHX. Now its the 0,2,3 rule.

0 clouds + 2 airplanes = 3 hour delay :D

Going into PHX 2-3 times a week for the last couple of years. I really think PHX approach does a fine job. With the mountains and military/restriced areas around it's a very small space for them to work with. The holding is not actually due to Approach, that's from the TMU in Washington that issues those holds, based on what it thinks is PHX's capacity. If you ever notice when you leave the hold and start talking to approach, they're usually not that busy. The system is doing it's job (kind of like metered on-ramps on the highway).

Usually there's not many delays going in or out, unless you hit one of the two big push times. If you're arriving between 7:30AM and 8:30AM or departing between 9AM and 10AM, you will be in line with a bunch of other people. Same thing with the afternoon push (arrivals, between 5-6PM departing 6-7PM). If you're working for a 121 carrier, you're out of luck because this is most likely when you will be coming through PHX, since this is when the West Coast passengers go through PHX to get on their connecting flights to the East Coast, and vice versa. If you're corporate, you simply tell the Pax, "we need to arrive before 7:30AM or after 9AM, and depart before 5PM or expect a 20 minute delay."

I actually prefer flying into PHX instead of SDL or DVT, less delays. Remember that for IFR purposes SDL and DVT are non-radar (just like other mountainous airports such as EGE and JAC). So you can't go IFR until the guy in front of you cancels, has landing assured, or gets in radar contact, in addition to being sequenced in with all the other traffic. Radar coverage starts about 2000 AGL. Also, you have all those little guys flying around beneath the Class B, you can't land at SDL or DVT without going beneath the Class B. Coincidentally that little strip between the Class B and Class D is when the TCAS usually goes apesh!t.

Finally, you do of course realize that PHX handles more traffic than all of the following EWR, JFK, MSP, IAH, DTW, SFO, MCO, PHL, MIA? Also, if you notice of all the airports that handle more traffic than PHX, they all have more than three runways (domestically at least).

http://www.lostluggagetales.com/resources/airlines/busiest-airport.asp

pilatus96 said:
WELL I'M GLAD I LIVE IN PHOENIX.:D Actually <10 min from SDL. I don't love the heat but I'll take it anyday over the cold. And yeah, the photo radar sucks.:rolleyes:
I second that! Phoenix was the best place I've ever lived! I use to live in NW Phoenix, about 10 minutes west of SDL. Would move back in a second if I had the oppurtunity!

How can you hate a place where you can pass a cop car going 95 mph, and they don't even bother pulling you over?? But make sure you stay out of the HOV lanes, I got a $350 ticket last time I got caught alone there!!!

User997 said:
How can you hate a place where you can pass a cop car going 95 mph, and they don't even bother pulling you over??
Yeah, the officers around Phoenix do a lot of "combat policing." He/she was probably on his/her way to the third murder/suicide or drive-by of the shift...especially on the west side.

Wiggums said:
Take your photo radar tickets and throw them away. Under Arizona law they cannot serve you via first class mail.
That's right. Unless it's certified mail or personally served to you, just toss it.;)

pwendell said:
But not as much as Phoenix drivers.:D
Yeah, my brother recently had to take the defensive driving class, and they said 7 out of the top 10 most dangerous roads in the US are in AZ!

Latest resources

Back