• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you flunked your medical...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always heard it was loose the medical and ur behind the desk doing dispatch!

smellthejeta said:
I have been told that I need a second class medical to actually get my commercial rating.

Not true. Not anymore. Used to be a long time ago, but now you only need a third class to take any certification test, including the ATP. FAR 61.39(a)(4)

smellthejeta said:
Hey, if my second class gets denied, does that mean a previously issued third class becomes invalid automatically?
Yep. A denied medical will stop all airman priveleges until a "review", then your third may be reinstated.

nosehair said:

Yep. A denied medical will stop all airman priveleges until a "review", then your third may be reinstated.

f... At least I'm not currently flying. If my paperwork as is is sufficient for a third class medical, how will the "review" work? Will they say "sorry, we denied your arse a medical" and then I appeal, or will they actually offer up the third class as a peace offering? FWIW, when is a medical actually denied? Is it denied when they won't let you walk out of the AME's door with it, or is it denied when the regional office or OKC sends you a letter saying that they reviewed the paperwork sent to them from the AME?

smellthejeta said:
f... At least I'm not currently flying. If my paperwork as is is sufficient for a third class medical, how will the "review" work? Will they say "sorry, we denied your arse a medical" and then I appeal, or will they actually offer up the third class as a peace offering? FWIW, when is a medical actually denied? Is it denied when they won't let you walk out of the AME's door with it, or is it denied when the regional office or OKC sends you a letter saying that they reviewed the paperwork sent to them from the AME?

...oh,...well, actually, you're losing me in generalities, such as, "If my paperwork as is is sufficient for a third class.." What paperwork? ...and each case is different. I don't really know the details or mechanics of the "approval/denial" process, but when you apply for the medical, ie., you make an examination with an AME, and he finds a problem, such as bad eyes, well, he doesn'r give you the paper. Your medical is effectively denied at that point, however, he sends the paperwork to OKC for official denial. The nature of the medical deficiency would determine whether or not a lower class could be held, and there are probably standard conditions under which a denial for second class makes you automatically elegible for third, but I don't know that.

These people helped me through my medical situation. www.leftseat.com. I really thought I was done. I don't want to go into details about my case. Prepare to spend about 2 grand. They can help with almost any situation for pilots or controllers. No BS. And, no i don't work for them.

john cocktosen said:
These people helped me through my medical situation. www.leftseat.com. I really thought I was done. I don't want to go into details about my case. Prepare to spend about 2 grand. They can help with almost any situation for pilots or controllers. No BS. And, no i don't work for them.

I got a link to some similar people I think. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to spend two grand just to be told no dice. If I have a waiverable condition, it's worth it, but I can't justify the outlay unless I know ifor certain it's worth my while.

smellthejeta said:
I got a link to some similar people I think. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to spend two grand just to be told no dice. If I have a waiverable condition, it's worth it, but I can't justify the outlay unless I know ifor certain it's worth my while.

It's free to call or email your situation to them. My case was kind of odd. They were very honest about my chances for recerification before I ever spent a dime. I also really learned a ton about the medical certification process. I was really nervous about using them at first. I called them three or four times before I finally agreed to use their service. I chose to call, at first, so that they could not identify me until i was ready.

On the other side of the coin was a real excuse to get out of aviation. After many hours of thinking, 10 months to be exact, I realized that I'm not smart enough to stay away from flying. Good luck. You will need it. I just depends on how much you want to keep you career.

John

john cocktosen said:
It's free to call or email your situation to them. My case was kind of odd. They were very honest about my chances for recerification before I ever spent a dime. I also really learned a ton about the medical certification process. I was really nervous about using them at first. I called them three or four times before I finally agreed to use their service. I chose to call, at first, so that they could not identify me until i was ready.

On the other side of the coin was a real excuse to get out of aviation. After many hours of thinking, 10 months to be exact, I realized that I'm not smart enough to stay away from flying. Good luck. You will need it. I just depends on how much you want to keep you career.

John

My career is worth $100,000 a year pretty much right off the bat, and I want to keep it :) I'm all but certain my current issues lie with my doctors, not with the FAA. I'm pretty certain that the FAA medical standards are clear and unwaiverable for my position.

Latest resources

Back