Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

smellthejeta

The plane I solo'd in
What would you do for an alternate career?

1. Get your DX certificate (out of pocket)
2. Get your A&P (company will pay)
3. Go get a Masters online from Riddle (company will pay)
4. Get a Masters somewhere else (company will pay depending on major)

The trick with getting into a non-Riddle Masters program is that my GPA isn't high enough to satisfy their entry requirements. My BS is in Comp Sci but I've been out of it long enough where I figure getting ANY masters degree will help.

What is a DX certificate?

Why would you want to spend two years obtaining a mechanic certificate in order to be able to be paid far less than you have been to work on something you can no longer fly? Not to mention that when you go on the floor and other mechanics find out you're also a pilot, you're reduced to less than you are, in their eyes. (most mechanics correctly figure out that most pilots are idiots, just as most pilots view mechanics with some level of distain...it's a class thing).

While you're getting that masters online, what are you going to be doing to put bread on the table?

Seems to me that if you're waiting until you lose your means to work to begin thinking about an alternate soloution, it's a little late. That's a lot like being in freefall before starting to consider the benifits of wearing a parachute. Just a wee bit tardy, if you ask me.

Me question

I don't know the reason you "Flunk" your medical, but have you applied for a waiver or SODA (Statement of Demonstraighted Ability)? If AOPA, ALPA member, they have people who can help you with that. Good Luck and don't give up the "Dream".

Smelly,

1. Find something you love to do, and try to get someone to pay you to do it. (That's how you got into flying professionally in the first place!)
2. Dispatcher is cool...and you have the aptitude. I don't know how much work there is out there, but it would never hurt to get the certificate.
3. Only pursue the Mx option if it's what you really want to do. Aviation Mx in the US is suffering the same assault that flying is.
4. What you intend to use your Masters degeree for is the key to deciding where you should try to go. If you just want to teach somewhere, get into the quickest program you can (Riddle sounds like an easy option for you), and get the ticket.

The key will be your timeline. If you have a disability program that will cover you for your loss of medical for 18-months...you have some options.

Another tangent: The railroads. My airline has a lot of pilots on furlough - with more being furloughed. Union Pacific is looking for displaced airline pilots because we have what they're looking for: procedures-oriented people who understand safety, and are comfortable with handling transportation's rolling deadlines.

Good luck to you!

avbug said:
What is a DX certificate?
dispatch

Why would you want to spend two years obtaining a mechanic certificate in order to be able to be paid far less than you have been to work on something you can no longer fly? Not to mention that when you go on the floor and other mechanics find out you're also a pilot, you're reduced to less than you are, in their eyes. (most mechanics correctly figure out that most pilots are idiots, just as most pilots view mechanics with some level of distain...it's a class thing).
Unless you're trying to come off as a dick on purpose, a more polite way of saying what you just said is that pursuing the mx thing is a waste of time because there's no market and the "transition" would be hard. Also, how much do you think I make? I don't recall ever saying that in this forum.

While you're getting that masters online, what are you going to be doing to put bread on the table?
Same thing I'm doing now.

Seems to me that if you're waiting until you lose your means to work to begin thinking about an alternate soloution, it's a little late. That's a lot like being in freefall before starting to consider the benifits of wearing a parachute. Just a wee bit tardy, if you ask me.
I never asked about the timing, I asked about the options. Avbug, you usually are very knowledgeable about most things in aviation, too bad I got such a waste of an answer from you. Is your answer that I should just file for unemployment, presuming I'm currently a pilot? Are you pissed that you have to work on a national holiday?

You mean the fall back value of your college degree is not going to get you a good paying job. My gosh what is the world coming to. You did not mention this, but have you looked at the sim training centers, FSI, CAE, etc. as a ground and sim IP?

atlcrashpad said:
I don't know the reason you "Flunk" your medical, but have you applied for a waiver or SODA (Statement of Demonstraighted Ability)? If AOPA, ALPA member, they have people who can help you with that. Good Luck and don't give up the "Dream".

If my vision only corrects to 20/25 in each eye, is that waiverable?

Occam's Razor said:
Smelly,

1. Find something you love to do, and try to get someone to pay you to do it. (That's how you got into flying professionally in the first place!)
2. Dispatcher is cool...and you have the aptitude. I don't know how much work there is out there, but it would never hurt to get the certificate.
3. Only pursue the Mx option if it's what you really want to do. Aviation Mx in the US is suffering the same assault that flying is.
4. What you intend to use your Masters degeree for is the key to deciding where you should try to go. If you just want to teach somewhere, get into the quickest program you can (Riddle sounds like an easy option for you), and get the ticket.

The key will be your timeline. If you have a disability program that will cover you for your loss of medical for 18-months...you have some options.

Another tangent: The railroads. My airline has a lot of pilots on furlough - with more being furloughed. Union Pacific is looking for displaced airline pilots because we have what they're looking for: procedures-oriented people who understand safety, and are comfortable with handling transportation's rolling deadlines.

Good luck to you!

I'm not worried about cash, that base is covered. Yeah, I've heard about the railroads -- I know more than a few guys who are pursuing that option. I forogot about it at the moment :)

I guess what I was asking was if things like DX and MX are a waste of time or if the Masters (even if online through Riddle) would be more benefical.

Unless you're trying to come off as a dick on purpose, a more polite way of saying what you just said is that pursuing the mx thing is a waste of time because there's no market and the "transition" would be hard. Also, how much do you think I make? I don't recall ever saying that in this forum.

No, I'm speaking as a certificated mechanic with enough years on the job to know what I'm talking about, on the floor and in management, on the line and as an inspector. I don't care how much you make now, but I know how much you'd be making as a mechanic and you'll make more at most entry level jobs in other fields, without having the 13 monts to two years of schooling, and the liability that comes with turning a wrench, not to mention the significant investment in tools you'll require.

But then you don't really care to hear an answer, you're a little to thin skinned for that. I get it.

Same thing I'm doing now.

Sitting idle without a medical certificate, contemplating your options? Seems my comments were more relevant than you let on, doesn't it? Or are you just trying to be a "dick?"

I never asked about the timing, I asked about the options. Avbug, you usually are very knowledgeable about most things in aviation, too bad I got such a waste of an answer from you. Is your answer that I should just file for unemployment, presuming I'm currently a pilot? Are you pissed that you have to work on a national holiday?

No, you didn't ask about timing, did you? You posted what you liked, and I answered what I liked, and there you have it. If you find the answer is so wasteful, why did you bother replying? Or asking?

Is my answer that you should file for unemployment? Did I say any such thing? I did not. Am I assuming you are currently a pilot? I am not. Did I say any such thing? I did not.

Am I working on a national holiday? No, I'm not. Not even "pissed."

By all means, come back and play again, any time.

pilotyip said:
You mean the fall back value of your college degree is not going to get you a good paying job. My gosh what is the world coming to. You did not mention this, but have you looked at the sim training centers, FSI, CAE, etc. as a ground and sim IP?

That's exactly what I mean! I started flying while I was in college (non aviation university), ran the numbers, and figured out that despite the price tag, finishing that degree was better than 1) transferring, 2) switching majors, or 3) dropping out. I had sunk enough money into it that finishing the dang thing was the best option.

What are the quals for being a sim instructor?

Latest resources

Back