If you flunked your medical...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hummm..

I would love to have my own FBO...figured I have seen enough good/bad FBOs to know how to make a good one run.

Or I would get some sort of computer cert.

Or I would open a rotary shop.

Wankel

smellthejeta said:
You answered 2 out of 4. I guess that's as good as I'll get out of you.

I never said I had a flying job, but in any case, my employer does have a clearly defined reimbursement plan. Not sure if the benefit extends to our charter pilots (different division of the company) but I'm not too concerned about them at this point. I also didn't ask you if you knew of any companies that would pay for higher education, either. The implied question was, if your employer paid, would it be worth doing.

Never the original question, seeing as I can't or don't fly them in the first place.
To get a job, silly. I don't know many people that start their 4 year degree knowing for sure who they are going to work for when they graduate. The same applies to my situation -- there's nothing outside of my current career endeavor that I'm actually just dying to do. Had that been the case, I would not have bothered to ask the populace for their collective opinion.
Company pays, it's convenient, and I can get into the program. Three reasons. If you looked at question 4 before you went off on your tirade, you'll notice that question was a bit more open ended.

Donno, don't care either. The question I posed was specific to my situation (even though it was worded in the "you" form). Again, I never said I was employed as a pilot. You might have inferred it, but I never implied it. If you were to ask that question outside the context of this discussion, I would have either remained silent, or offered that my employer may offer it, I would have to look. Again, this point is moot in reference to my personal situation.

I'm glad we can agree on something. At least when I fly the little airplane in the bathtub, I don't have to worry about the cost of fuel or the financial health of the company operating the airplane and potentially paying my wages.

Actually, no, that's not what the question asked. The question made no presumption of current employment on behalf of the audience upon which it was posed. One may have the intention of flying for a career, discover that he/she cannot qualify for a second class medical, in which case, he/she would then seek an alternate career. Apparently, I'm not the only one who lacks reading comprehension skills.

If you say so. I asked four questions, got half-arse responses to two, yet you still left the general question unanswered.

If that's what you want to call it, fine, but you can't really formulate a strong argument if your only defense is that your comprehension of the English language is not as strong as the person with whom you are conversing.

dude you asked some questions and people answered them, and now your tampons are all wadded up because you don't like the answers

I suggest you log-out of this board, it is for grown ups, and go buy some beer for your frat party on Saturday

when you become an adult, let us know
Moderator reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
smellthejeta said:
but still be able to fly under the auspices of a third class medical. The question was germane to commercial flying, not private flying. I'm still quite capable of the later.

Instruct.

To the guy who said instruct... I'm aware that I can instruct with a third class (or nothing?) as long as I am not acting as PIC. However, I have been told that I need a second class medical to actually get my commercial rating.

Last edited:
FlyingFisherman said:
That's a submarine, bud.

Good luck! If you've got a third class medcal still that's good for those privileges...if you think there is ANY chance of denial just don't renew it. Find yourself a nice sport pilot airplane and fly that off into the sunset for as long as you can drive.

Nah, the third class is in the bag, so it's no biggie. Hey, if my second class gets denied, does that mean a previously issued third class becomes invalid automatically?

Last edited:
Wankel7 said:
Hummm..

I would love to have my own FBO...figured I have seen enough good/bad FBOs to know how to make a good one run.

Wankel

Like hire enough line guys and pay them enough so they stick around for awhile and actually give two turds about helping the customer instead of sitting on their arse. It's quite a shame that FBO's treat their front line people like airlines treat their pilots. Work them into the ground, don't pay them squat, and then they wonder why nobody gives a darn about there job.

Last edited:
satpak77 said:
dude you asked some questions and people answered them, and now your tampons are all wadded up because you don't like the answers

I suggest you log-out of this board, it is for grown ups, and go buy some beer for your frat party on Saturday

when you become an adult, let us know

I'll let you know as soon as you start acting like an adult. My kid brother can come up with better drivel than this.

I would start the SODA process pronto.

I would plan on it being accepted (the FAA has gotten softer in the past decade after they realized that astronaut standards don't serve a purpose in the civilian world.) I can't guarantee that you'll get a SODA but my gut instinct is that you will. It may require a medical flight test which is no biggie usually. There are people with all kinds of ill's flying around with 1st class medicals.

If the FAA gets tough about it I would get my master's degree and get a good job in management A MBA is a sure fire job getter in my opinion.

Go get 'em!!!!

splitS said:
I will be glad to answer all your questions, please call me at 708-261-6992

Isnt that tdturbos number?

sydeseet said:
I would start the SODA process pronto.

I would plan on it being accepted (the FAA has gotten softer in the past decade after they realized that astronaut standards don't serve a purpose in the civilian world.) I can't guarantee that you'll get a SODA but my gut instinct is that you will. It may require a medical flight test which is no biggie usually. There are people with all kinds of ill's flying around with 1st class medicals.

If the FAA gets tough about it I would get my master's degree and get a good job in management A MBA is a sure fire job getter in my opinion.

Go get 'em!!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately, this medical isn't for flying purposes, and the FAA *says* they don't do waivers or SODAs for my situation. I want to double check that. Apparently, actually being able to read a radar scope isn't good enough for the FAA. I may actually pursue the MBA thing. The Riddle thing was as I presented -- within my employer's reimbursement guidelines, convenient, and "nice to have." However, if I'm actually going to pursue a career with my graduate work, I'm going to put more time and effort into selecting a program. I haven't yet decided that if I can actually get a SODA/Waiver for a 1st class medical, if I'm actually going to pursue a flying career. I'm leaning towards no, but it's a thought.

Latest resources

Back