• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If/When Spirit Strikes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I told you why. You told me why you don't think it is. Do you think the MEC at Air Wisconsin is wrong or misguided, or do you think a coalition will work at AW and not at Spirit?
Where is the leverage. The coercion?

Let me ask you something else. Do you think wages can be driven up by enough people leaving that a company can get anyone to fly for them so they have to pay more to attract and keep people.
no

That is how the military has worked, and corporations too.
That is how certain markets work

Do you think that can be effective as a strike? Like what if United did its $31 an hour recall in 2006 and not just 20 or 30% didn't take the recall, but no one did.
Regional Capts would be the new hires just like they were in 2007-08

Now if my ALPA brothers at (name of airline here) Express weren't willing to swoop in and take all those jobs form guys that turned down recall, do you think United would have been forced to offer more money to get people to come back and stay?
(not sure you have an "brothers" at ALPA) Would never work this way..... Once the furloughed pilots refused the work and the "free market" had a freak anomaly as you described, UAL would simply tweak the terms for the new hires. The furloughees would never get a second chance after they declined recall IAW the CBA. Recall management loves first year pay.

Look, you are an adorer of the free market. Don't get pissed or disappointed because UAL is nothing for you to come back to.... the "free market" is all about cheaper cost. There is always someone willing to do your job cheaper".

The question becomes... are you to be a subservient sycophant who takes what master gives... or are you willing to stand up for yourself and make your place of income not only better for yourself, but for the guy coming in after you in new hire class.

You prove the point.....

So the MIL guys, when times are good at the airlines don't pull guard duty.... supply/demand? Simply put their needs are met, however, when the times are tough, then the guard unit is well staffed. So what motivates a MIL pilot?

The point is... when you are in new hire class, living off of credit cards and hanging with the FAs because they know how to make Top Ramen 30 different ways.... with the wife wondering WTF are you doing and the discussion of low wages and no healthcare till you pass your checkride or 6 months into employment..... and a MIL guy with retirement, health, etc... says... ______________.

either you like Tap Ramen or you don't......

It is all about whether your needs are met....

What point is it that I proved? Certainly not your point that MIL guys in general would throw everyone else under the bus because they have health care. I have shown you that not all mil guys have health care; many mil guys use the company plan; mil guys are more prone to stick up for the group because we have an instilled sense of loyalty; many non-mil guys have wives who have insurance; and no one sect of the pilot group holds a monopoly on being a$$holes. It sounds like you just want to pigeon-hole an entire group of people.

As far as your first statement, maybe I was not clear for you....when times are good, a lot of mil guys quit the reserves for good. Its not that they are not drilling, its that they quit. They got tired of the hassle of holding two jobs and maintaining proficiency in two or more aircraft. Thus, no military health care. When times are bad, they stick around and with that comes drilling and active orders. Wars change things too.

What motivates the mil guy? It is different with everyone. Right now many want to serve because there are two wars going on. Many mil guys are patriotic; many like the work....doing the job as compared to always training for it; the pay is good. They also want the retirement because many are not getting one from the company anymore. Some mil guys also will take a LOA if it will keep another pilot employed. Money is another motivator. A major on active orders probably makes more than an FO at many airlines today. It is different for everyone.

As far as you eating Top Ramen, that has no bearing. That was the choice you made. You could have made the choice to go into the military, go to law school or become an architect but you chose a job that paid next to nothing in the hopes of landing a good job flying big iron. You knew the pay was piss poor going in. Then to make matters worse, you chose to get married knowing it would be even tougher and fail to educate your wife on how much it really sucks. Now she is confused and wondering why you have such a crappy job. She thought she was marrying a big shot airline pilot! Several years later, you have paid your dues and are sitting in that big shiny jet airliner but the environment has changed for the worse. Your wife is still b1tching that your pay sucks and health care is expensive. The easy thing for you to do is blame the mil guy....the root of all that is evil. We have ours so we could give a crap what happens to you and the rest of the pilot group. You are wrong on so many levels but no matter what I say, I doubt I will change your mind.

Worth hanging around

As far as your first statement, maybe I was not clear for you....when times are good, a lot of mil guys quit the reserves for good. Its not that they are not drilling, its that they quit. They got tired of the hassle of holding two jobs and maintaining proficiency in two or more aircraft. Thus, no military health care. When times are bad, they stick around and with that comes drilling and active orders. Wars change things too.
I might have been jumpseating on DAL with one of those guys back in the late 90's. 14 yrs service, dropped out of the reserves, said too many hassles and besides his DAL retirement made the military retirement not really worth it. I wonder if he was young enough to get back in 2002?

I told you why. You told me why you don't think it is. Do you think the MEC at Air Wisconsin is wrong or misguided, or do you think a coalition will work at AW and not at Spirit?

Let me ask you something else. Do you think wages can be driven up by enough people leaving that a company can get anyone to fly for them so they have to pay more to attract and keep people. That is how the military has worked, and corporations too. Do you think that can be effective as a strike? Like what if United did its $31 an hour recall in 2006 and not just 20 or 30% didn't take the recall, but no one did. Now if my ALPA brothers at (name of airline here) Express weren't willing to swoop in and take all those jobs form guys that turned down recall, do you think United would have been forced to offer more money to get people to come back and stay?

You bring back memories of another ex-military, airline newbie, Andy Panzy, who used to frequent these boards with an arrogant, all-
knowing attitude.

Why don't you study your manuals, gain a little airline experience,and read
"Flying the Line" , which is about the history of airline pilot labor
relations.

You sound very naive.

What point is it that I proved?
That economics is #1
What motivates the mil guy?
Economics.

As far as you eating Top Ramen, that has no bearing. That was the choice you made. You could have made the choice to go into the military, go to law school or become an architect but you chose a job that paid next to nothing in the hopes of landing a good job flying big iron.
You knew the pay was piss poor going in. Then to make matters worse, you chose to get married knowing it would be even tougher and fail to educate your wife on how much it really sucks. Now she is confused and wondering why you have such a crappy job. She thought she was marrying a big shot airline pilot! Several years later, you have paid your dues and are sitting in that big shiny jet airliner but the environment has changed for the worse. Your wife is still b1tching that your pay sucks and health care is expensive. The easy thing for you to do is blame the mil guy....the root of all that is evil. We have ours so we could give a crap what happens to you and the rest of the pilot group. You are wrong on so many levels but no matter what I say, I doubt I will change your mind.
Major logical fail!
The point isn't choices made or coulda/shoulda/woulda... any career path can turn sour including the MIL. I know guys who were about to get winged and the DoD said sorry... don't need you... and dropped them like a bad case of VD.

The point of this whole thread is pilots who don't have much but are willing to bust ass and put it on the line to make it better for themselves and their families....

The point of this whole thread is pilots who don't have much but are willing to bust ass and put it on the line to make it better for themselves and their families....

Rez, I doubt I am alone on this, but the major logical failure is with you. The point of this thread is exactly what you said above. Your failure lies in your disdain of the military and blatantly stereotyping us as selfish bastards just out for ourselves. Nobody else has faults...just the Mil guys. Thanks. We all appreciate that. I see you made a bunch of friends over on the mil board tonight by labeling them blood thirsty child killers. We appreciate that too. I tried to reason with you knowing I would fail to get through but I tried. Have a nice evening.

You bring back memories of another ex-military, airline newbie, Andy Panzy, who used to frequent these boards with an arrogant, all-
knowing attitude.

Why don't you study your manuals, gain a little airline experience,and read
"Flying the Line" , which is about the history of airline pilot labor
relations.

You sound very naive.

I just asked a question. How is asking a question displaying a "know it all attitude" The numbers for those refusing recall in 2006 for United were somewhere around 20-30%, and at American I understand it was no different. The sticking point at United was that guys that got furloughed in 2001 were going to get the equivalent of new hire pay when they returned, even though technically they had been with the company for five years. Sure its naive to think that if a United pilot refused recall, because they were five year employees and not willing to get paid as a new hire, some regional guy wouldn't be waiting to take the job for the $31 an hour that United offered. I understand that is reality of pilot unity in our profession.

Just pointing out the irony of those so willing to undercut other pilots when it is to their advantageyet complain about a lack of pilot unity or lecturing old timers on how to make ALPA strong.

Since we are doing Book of the Month Club I suggest you read Hard Landing, especially the part about Eastern Airlines, pre-Lorenzo.

Last edited:
Look, you are an adorer of the free market. Don't get pissed or disappointed because UAL is nothing for you to come back to.... the "free market" is all about cheaper cost. There is always someone willing to do your job cheaper".

The question becomes... are you to be a subservient sycophant who takes what master gives... or are you willing to stand up for yourself and make your place of income not only better for yourself, but for the guy coming in after you in new hire class.

Rez are you two different people writing the same post? You realize your first paragraph negates your second. If there is always going to be someone willing to do my job cheaper, then what point is there to standing up for yourself when someone will always come along and undercut me?

We already went through this a few months ago, I get "Rez's Rules". When you undercut me I deserved it, that is how free markets work. Now when someone undercuts you its an outrage and its my fault for not standing behind you.

I don't know what the point of talking to you is anyway. How can anyone who contends retired military pilots are responsible for driving down pilot wages while they themselves are flying mainline routes in an RJ for half the money can be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back