Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If Tower told you this, what would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After he told me that I needed to hold stop after clearing, even after I told him what tower said, I just said sorry and went on. I did want to cause a scene, and if anyone wanted to look further into it, I knew we were doing exactly what we were told to do by Tower. (check the tapes)
I should have flipped him the Bird since we parked right under the Tower. GOSH!

Coulda asked for the number or asked to have a chat with them face to face at some point. Always good to clear things like this up for the future.

pilotviolin said:
Actually CRQ. Which is surprising, because they normal have a great staff.
I agree FAT is retarded!

Aha. It's been a while since I've flown out of CRQ, but don't you basically have to taxi onto taxiway A in order to clear runway 24 past the line? If that's indeed correct, then I might take it as an instruction to simply taxi onto A, then contact ground for a taxi clearance.

pilotviolin said:
After landing the tower told us to "exit A4 and continue on Alpha (the parallel taxiway), contact ground 122.8."
Had the tower guy/gal said, "Continue on to parking" or given you some other clearance limit, I would say that you would have been able to go to parking or the stated clearance limit.

The question is, what was the exact phraseology? "...exit A4 and continue on to Alpha"?

Maybe the tower guy had another aircraft coming up behind you and needed room to get the second plane clear of the runway for a third one landing.

Here's a good one. At an airport where I was once based, they closed the AFSS and opened a private tower. Not long afterward, I called for clearance to taxi from the hangar to the active. My route took me across the active then parallel to it. I was cleared to taxi to the runway. That means stop the first time you get to it, so I held short and waited. Ground proceded to chew me out for not taxiing to the end. It was a woman, so I knew better than to argue. A week later, same runway, same clearance. As I came to the hold lines, the guy in the tower asked if I was going to stop. After I sat there and waited for a while (no other airplane was in the area) he cleared me to taxi to the end, then chewed me out all the way to the end of the runway for not stopping.

FN FAL said:
Had the tower guy/gal said, "Continue on to parking" or given you some other clearance limit, I would say that you would have been able to go to parking or the stated clearance limit.

The question is, what was the exact phraseology? "...exit A4 and continue on to Alpha"?

Maybe the tower guy had another aircraft coming up behind you and needed room to get the second plane clear of the runway for a third one landing.

Don't look to hard into this. I already stated what the exact conversation was. At I stated before no one was landing right behind us. Someone was cleared onto hold. (which is probably started this whole thing.) If you have been to CRQ, and want to look deeper into this, we freakin cleared at ALPHA 4. 95% of all jets coming in roll to the end. We cleared the runway about as fast as one can.

At CRQ, the hold short bars are next to Alpha, and there is no way you can clear and not be on Alpha. Maybe a BD5 could, but still I doubt it. To clear the runway you end up on Alpha. Like I said, we were told exactly "clear on A4, continue on ALPHA, contact ground 122.8."
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
I would've done the same thing, because that is what you were instructed to do. Like you said, it was on the tapes and if you wanted to you could've just responded to ground, after they chewed you out, that you were doing what tower instructed AND that he/she could listen to the tape.

I use to fly into Redmond, OR (RDM) quite a bit and it was usually (always?) just one guy in the tower performing tower/ground/clearence duties. Generally, after I landed he would just say, "taxi to parking, moniter ground." For some reason (maybe he was training someone) one morning, as I rolled out from landing he told me to exit the runway and contact ground. I thought, "that's weird, I'm pretty sure he's the only one up there." So I did what he said and sure enough, it's him on ground, acted like he didn't know who I was. I was thinking, "remember me, I just talked to you a few times in the last couple of minutes." I proceeded to tell him my full callsign and where I was parking. Maybe he had a split personality that day. This was the same guy I had talked to for the last 2 or 3 years with the same freight company that flew in every day. I just thought that was a little weird.

pilotviolin said:
After landing the tower told us to "exit A4 and continue on Alpha (the parallel taxiway), contact ground 122.8."
pilotviolin said:
Now what would you do? I want to see some replies before I tell you the rest.

'Continue on Alpha' or 'continue onto Alpha' -- neither is really a clnc to go wherever you want on Alpha from tower if gnd is controlling ground movement.

If he'd have added 'stay with tower until parked' perhaps you could've assumed then you had clnc to proceed on Alpha, but he didn't.

Sounds like he did have an attitude. You are on his turf, and he'll win the pissing contest.

Safest bet is to never assume. Just stop, or slow to a crawl, call ground,and get clnc to continue. You'll not be violated that way, and it'll only add a minute to your taxi.

Fugawe
-don't tug on Superman's cape
-don't spit into the wind
-don't argue with a controller with a 'tude

My $0.02
The tower gave him an instrction, aka A CLEARANCE!

If you change freq's with center do you stop in midair because they wren't the one that cleared you direct XYZ?

Latest resources

Back