• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If NWA buys DAL...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just being sarcastic. But the truth is that a Delta/NWA merger will actually be one in which NWA has that upper hand and will probably buy Delta.

If Northwest does buy Delta, Northwest would probably drop its more regional-sounding name for Delta's and move its headquarters to Atlanta from Minneapolis. Also an eventual closure of the Memphis base is highly likely. Good news for the General as he will not be uprooted and will maintain his primary residence in ATL. The senority issue will probably hurt the most though.

Why do you think NWA is the stronger of the two? Seriously, did you read this somewhere or hear it on an inside scoop or something?

All the chatter is the opposite.

It's OK, everyone! SEVEN flies the Saab for XJ which puts him in upper management with the ultimate insight into the situation. :)

Why would you possibly say that? Is that your educated "hunch?" Upper hand based on what?
So, go ahead - give me your educated rationale for why NWA would have the "upper hand." We are all waiting. And don't use the Asian routes treaties as an example - we all know you can get around the legalities the same way UAL, Fedex and Air Canada have done in the past.

Have you ever heard of a poison pill? Do you know who has one as part of their restructuring and who doesn't? If you can answer these questions intelligibly, let me know.

Schwanker

If Northwest does buy Delta, Northwest would probably drop its more regional-sounding name for Delta's and move its headquarters to Atlanta from Minneapolis. Also an eventual closure of the Memphis base is highly likely. Good news for the General as he will not be uprooted and will maintain his primary residence in ATL. The senority issue will probably hurt the most though.

It's normally good form to give credit to the writer you're quoting, rather than pretending that those are your own thoughts.............

Delta and Northwest. Two Great Airlines, One Great Future.

(Of course, if the originator of that slogan is any indication, there will only be a future for ONE of those companies... y'all pick which one.)

Have you ever heard of a poison pill? Do you know who has one as part of their restructuring and who doesn't? If you can answer these questions intelligibly, let me know.

Schwanker

I can absolutely answer that question. Why would NWA managment invoke a poison pill if this propsed merger is NOT HOSTILE? Poison pills are used in hostile situations to dissuade unwanted investors. If Steeland and his board are receptive to a merger with Delta they will not need to invoke a poison pill. Delta would not try a hostile takeover given that it just rebuffed a hostile attempt from USAirways (they don't work well in service industries in which employee morale can impact revenue generation). Any merger would be based on mutual interest.

How's that? Now, can you tell me, in an intelligible fashion, how NWA would have the upper hand in this situation?

I can absolutely answer that question. Why would NWA managment invoke a poison pill if this propsed merger is NOT HOSTILE? Poison pills are used in hostile situations to dissuade unwanted investors. If Steeland and his board are receptive to a merger with Delta they will not need to invoke a poison pill. Delta would not try a hostile takeover given that it just rebuffed a hostile attempt from USAirways (they don't work well in service industries in which employee morale can impact revenue generation). Any merger would be based on mutual interest.

How's that? Now, can you tell me, in an intelligible fashion, how NWA would have the upper hand in this situation?

Schwanker gots nothin to say bout that!!

How's that? Now, can you tell me, in an intelligible fashion, how NWA would have the upper hand in this situation?[/quote]

You shut Schwanker's a$$ alright! In yo face... I want to hear that too. Please enlighten us.

If Steeland and his board are receptive to a merger with Delta they will not need to invoke a poison pill. ...Any merger would be based on mutual interest.

You changed your language a bit. Your previous post indicated DAL would be the buyer or acquirer. That is different than a merger. Your words:

"Did you not see the article today stating that Delta is looking to be the buyer in that situation? "

Schwanker

As they say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Being in the bottom 400 does not bode well for anyone that is a newbie at DAL.
If you noticed NWA is parking more 9's. If they do more of that pre or post merger, then we will have an over staffing of pilot. Simply put, synergies is a cute term for layoffs. They may not, but I for one am not going to hold my breath once this little thing is announced.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back