• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If I hear one more "brief"...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I end all my briefs by singing the ending to the Wonder Pets theme song.

"What's gonna work?...Teamwork!"
"What's gonna work?...Teamwork!"

Sorry, my kids were watching the show before bed tonight.

We need less briefing...not more....

Do you drive 55 MPH on 85 or 75 thru ATL?...or is that "different"?

Personally, I think these briefing increase the odds of an altitude bust on arrival into ATL and more distracting than anything else....We have gone WAY overboard on the briefings.....

We're agreeing far too much lately, Joe. ;)

Pilots should spend more time piloting and less time talking about piloting. And it's not just the briefs, either. The crazy fixation on FMA calls has gone overboard, as well.

Like I said, we all have our things that drive us batty in the flightdeck.

Mine is a "robotic brief" followed by "Any questions?" after every single brief. I'm all for a brief on info that should be noted, and I will ask questions on anything I'm not clear about.

"Thats all I have"
"Anything to add?"
"Feel free to add anything I missed"
"Did I miss anything you want to note?"
"Parking at gate #, set the parking brake, change clothes, and find the nearest bar stool"

Just my opinion...

Apples and oranges. I own my car and do not get paid to operate it. I also do not operate a taxi service out of it.

....ahhh...the excuses always come....Either you believe in rules or you accept the fact that many are silly...

sweptback said:
And you are right that briefing increases the odds of busting an altitude. Which is why our manuals state that 1. you should brief at cruise, and 2. there should always be one person whose job it is to fly the airplane (hence transferring the controls).

So how do you do that in ATL when you don't know the runway for sure until you are 50 miles our?

This last round of recurrent, we were told that we can't really multi-task...If that is correct, then how do I fly and listen to ATC, while listening to my FO brief and make sure he is correct?....Face it, this is all an exercise in recipe flying and it is more of a distraction than anything else...

Have to agree with many of you. Too much SOP, not enough THINKING. That said, IMHO, one-engine caged and the GPWS screaming is not the time think about what the SOP DIDN'T say. Any questions?

Latest resources

Back