• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Idea of airliners flown by solo pilots gains ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
they will use the knowledge gained from UAVs to suppliment one live crewmember until they can figure out a way to have UAV passenger aircraft.

Ughh! I totally forgot about those UAV's. You're absolutely right. Why have only one pilot on board when you can have NONE?

Maybe they'll just build a lav into the pilot's seat.

Seriously, this whole idea is ridiculous. It will never happen.

It most certainly will.

In fact the 'ultimate' goal is a pilot-less airliner with an "aircraft manager" (with the qualifications of what was formerly known as an airline pilot) on board who monitors the aircraft systems and in the event of irregularities works with a "control room" to be dealt-with...with ultimate aircraft control being automated and secondary control coming from a ground based control room.

There will be no conventional cockpit up front eliminating potential hijackings all together. The "aircraft managers" post will be capable of taxi only.

A system is under development that to boil it down to basics enables an aircraft to, via computers, use any and all controls in conjunction (variable thrust of engines, aerodynamic controls, and fuel shifting to allow an aircraft to fly essentially normally given any type of control/engine malfunction) all with computers in a system a human could not possibly be capable of.

We are at the beginning of an era where the hardware and software are so proven and fail-safe it is time to start addressing the weakest link in the system, namely the human element.

Sorry kiddo's, this ain't your Grand-dads airline industry anymore...

He personally believes that with a backup pilot on the ground capable of taking control of a plane and data constantly streaming down from planes, many of which already transmit continuous data on engines and other systems, solo flight could be a reality.
What missing in all this is the risk of a cyber attack like Stuxnet. Computer systems are and will always be vulnerable, whether it is a cr@ppy Windows based system or open-source based like LINUX. If the airplane can be controlled from the ground who knows if some 14 old hacker or a team of hackers can control the fate of the aircraft?

Additionally, the older electronic components become, the higher the risk of (internal) failure. Cutting-edge technology like single-pilot/pilotless airplanes cannot predict every possible failure scenario. Software-based technology also poses a risk due to errors within the software. I know software engineers use a unit that describes X amount of (programming) errors for every 1000 lines of software code written. Just look how many times Windows freezes or acts buggy. Macs (so far) are less prone to it, but not immune. I have seen FMS freeze and act up. Software is buggy.

One example I can think of that highlights a first-of-its-kind incident is the gear-up landing/ go-around that happened to an Eagle crew @ BOS (I think). Landing gear was shown as down and locked on the EICAS, but the wheels were still up & locked. If I recall this was due to an error within the LGEU. Embraer thought their system was (fail)-safe. Guess what?

Last edited:
You'll never catch me on an airliner with a single pilot. You won't catch me on Ryanair, either, even with two pilots.

It most certainly will.

In fact the 'ultimate' goal is a pilot-less airliner with an "aircraft manager" (with the qualifications of what was formerly known as an airline pilot) on board who monitors the aircraft systems and in the event of irregularities works with a "control room" to be dealt-with...with ultimate aircraft control being automated and secondary control coming from a ground based control room.

There will be no conventional cockpit up front eliminating potential hijackings all together. The "aircraft managers" post will be capable of taxi only.

A system is under development that to boil it down to basics enables an aircraft to, via computers, use any and all controls in conjunction (variable thrust of engines, aerodynamic controls, and fuel shifting to allow an aircraft to fly essentially normally given any type of control/engine malfunction) all with computers in a system a human could not possibly be capable of.

We are at the beginning of an era where the hardware and software are so proven and fail-safe it is time to start addressing the weakest link in the system, namely the human element.

And then Skynet will become self aware and launch a massive nuclear attack against mankind. I agree it's comming,(UAV's) but it's still a long ways away. Just think "Sully"! A fully automated A320 with CAT3, would NOT have been able to land in the Hudson by itself.

The UAV's are already pricing themselves out of work in the military, and they have pretty much been under wild wild west rules. Wait until the FAA gets a hold of them HA HA! nope I'm not worried.
That being said I could see the feds being paid off to certify a 1 man cockpit airliner.

It most certainly will.

Respectfully, I must disagree with you. Although aviation technology has made great strides over the years, you don't hear about system errors often thanks to the human element. From personal experience; I can't count how many times I've had to disconnect the auto pilot because it did something uncommended, or failed to capture a loc on a parallel approach. Asides from system errors, I've also been in situations where I was damn glad there were two of us. Personally, I don't think this will ever be approved for use in the USA.

Last edited:
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]I think there will be just a dog and a single pile it in the fuuuuuture. The pile it is there to watch the plane and teh dog is there to watch the pile it (and attack him if he touches anything).[/FONT]

Boy, you botched that joke! Here's how I heard it from years ago:

"In the future cockpit, there will be just one pilot and a dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog and the dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches anything"!

Latest resources

Back