Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I was bored yesterday, so I thought I'd try something. Using my sectional chart, I plotted a course to a nearby airport. I then opened microsoft flight simulator, selected the Cessna 172, selected my home airport, and took off. Once in the air, I turned to the heading I had determined, and flew it. Minuets later, I was actually over the airport!!! Very impressive. What I thought was just a video game, looks like it might actually be a useful way of practicing...

Yeap that FS2004 is a really great learning aid. Use it to its full advantage.

Next time, make up a short flight plan, download the real-time weather into it, and then use your E6B to determine your course to be flown, taking into account the current winds.

It's also a good tool when you go to do your first x-country, especially your solo one, you can fly it before hand and make sure all your calculations and courses are correct!

Although I do agree with gkrangers, a lot of the VFR landmarks aren't there - but most lakes, rivers, roads, cities, and airports are there to use instead.

FS2004 will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars when it comes time to do your instrument rating!!

User997 said:
FS2004 will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars when it comes time to do your instrument rating!!

Ditto that, except for me it was the early version for the Mac. FS 2004 is way better than those early versions. It also helps for prepping for that interview sim ride.

Seems like this would be really good for IFR practice. Can you set it up so you are looking at the panel like a PCATD? If so and you have a yoke and rudder pedals it seems like you could really hone your scan, approaches, and holds.

I will go tomorrow pick up the stuff and try it. I was thinking of getting a PCATD, but if I can get close with the FS2004 I figure I can save about 3,500.00. Seems like a better deal to me.

It is nice to practice with.... if you have a decent computer. My laptop is a little slow for it so it glitches now and then.. but still fun!

For those of you with no life like myself, www.vatsim.net has software that you can download that allows you to connect FS2004 to a network and fly with other pilots while receiving ATC from real people who are also connected to the network as controllers. Since the flying part of it is too much like work I don't do it as often, but I enjoy doing the ATC half of it when I'm bored. Its all free to use.

Last edited:
Check out X-plane.

Supposedly it has some FAA certification to it.

www.x-plane.com

http://www.x-plane.com/FTD.html

I've personally only tried the demo (7 min limit or something). I was impressed with the Aerodynamics engine, but i didn't like the controls of the game. I prefer the 3D cockpit from FS2004.

But they say x-plane is the best flight sim out there. If someone has it, i'd like your opinion on it please.

Latest resources

Back