I think I missed the bus here.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlynChick said:
and was actually using "roger that" and "affirmative" for EVERY type of positive response....do any of you guys see these types around?

Affirmative. :D

mattpilot said:
wilco this thread...... not!
Hahaha...this tread is as much fun as renting "Van Wilder" and finding out halfway way through the DVD that that someone slipped "Tossed Salad Picnic at Joliet" in the DVD jacket as a joke.

AA717driver said:
I think it's the whole "Flight Team" thing. And they (read: many of their group) think they know it all with 500 hours under their belts...TC

Well their "backup" Aircraft ID guy whipped my ass at PCIFA SAFECON this year, but I had landings and SCAN and other events to practice... he just had ACID.

Unfortunately even though we hosted this year, we weren't officially competing, my school pulled a really rotten move one week before the competition and barred us from competing because aviation is "too risky." Sad because I judged a lot of events instead and we would have fared very well. There are days that I wish I had gone to Riddle.

We whupped up on them at Pictionary though ;)

Well, I'll give you my experience. I spent 1 (one) semester at the Prescott campus in 1995. I went in studying Aviation Business, since I already had all my ratings (except ATP). The only people I ran into doing the AS program were just...well..dweebs. Here are some examples. I flew tailwheel. I flew ag, aerobatics, landed on 700 foot strips, landing on berms and roads (you mean you didn't land on a runway?!?) etc...I was viewed as dangerous by most of the pilots I ran into in the AS program. I was just doing my job.
The thing that did it for me was in my U.S. history class. The guy in front of me was bragging, and I kid you not (I swear to God, I KID YOU NOT!), of landing in a 7kt crosswind. The kicker was the kids he was talking to were hanging on the edge of their seats and thought he was some super pilot. I wanted to grab my NO.2 Ticonderoga and stab my ears. I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry.
I finished up thru the extension campus near my home, with people who were a little more grounded (So to speak).

JWilliams, as long as you don't become one of those dudes, you will do alright.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just because I'm a newb to these forums but why is everyone so critical of ERAU?

I graduated from Riddle and here's my theory. Like any place you go to, you'll run into the "god's gift to aviation"/tools, the "mom & dad are really loaded so I can get whatever I want" kids, and also the students just looking to get their degree and start a career in aviation. Riddle puts out a lot of people into the industry...so what I'm getting at is that you have the same percentage of tools at Riddle as you do anywhere else, but since there are so many Riddle students/alumni, you run into the tools often just based on the number of people. But even as a student, I did my fair share of making fun of some of the students. Overall, Riddle was a pretty good experience for me and it just seems that a lot of people are being overly steriotypical.

kneeshoe said:
I graduated from Riddle and here's my theory......... Overall, Riddle was a pretty good experience for me and it just seems that a lot of people are being overly steriotypical.

I guess you're right, most folks are steriotypical. So much for that fancy education!

I've met 3 pilots who went to ERAU and 2 of them were pretty awful pilots (skills and book knowledge) with cocky attitudes.

This one guy who was around the local airport for a checkout could barely keep a steep turn within 200' and he was working on his commerical. At the time I was an IFR student and sat in the back during the checkout. Since I was holding my steep turns within 50' on instruments, this really surprised me at the time as I regarded the ERAU ppl as having better training and high aptitiudes.

Another guy went to three different flight schools and after 100 hours of comm maneuvers and numerous instructors, couldn't get signed off for his commerical checkride. Aside from his low scores on writtens (between 70-80), he had very poor knowledge on fundamentals.

The one that wasn't cocky acutally became something and now flies for a regional. He instructed for a while and was someone I'd considered very safe and cautious in his flying. He also had a good attitude.

Metro752 said:
7kt crosswind? Thats normal for where I fly, straight across the runway. Lol, ERAU

You superpilot, you.

Hey, you gotta bring back your other avatar, I miss the hat.

Latest resources

Back