I think I missed the bus here.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VNugget said:
Yeah, because delving into a deeper understanding of your field of interest is only for dweebs, right? Next time I go flying, I hope I don't forget that flying skill is mutually exclusive with an understanding of aerodynamics :rolleyes: Asshole

Ok, so let's assume that you don't still count your time in tenths and you're going to teach a student something useful that won't get him killed. Use the lift formula in a lesson...

Better add the Kutta-Zhukovski theorem to the lesson too and don't forget Ohm's Law to the lesson if the airplane has an electrical system.

Now you'll probably tell me it's dangerous to make downwind turns, that "The Step" is real and you carry extra airspeed when landing with a tailwind. FNG.

pilotmiketx said:
Better add the Kutta-Zhukovski theorem to the lesson too and don't forget Ohm's Law to the lesson if the airplane has an electrical system.

Let's not forget the Ideal Gas Formula for those after lunch lessons.

pilotmiketx said:
Ok, so let's assume that you don't still count your time in tenths and you're going to teach a student something useful that won't get him killed. Use the lift formula in a lesson...

Now you'll probably tell me it's dangerous to make downwind turns, that "The Step" is real and you carry extra airspeed when landing with a tailwind. FNG.
There are alot of "rules of thumbs" that should really go out the window, like never downwind or turn into the dead engine, its an over-simplification ....its much easier to teach that then to teach HOW to turn into the dead engine correctly (hard to do with a 20 hr. ME pilot that barely knows any fundamentals of aerodynamics), but it still shouldn't be done. For those reading that think in depth aerodynamics is a waste (I'm not talking formula memorizing stuff, but theories) then you're dumber than the guy that signed you for your ticket. Not to sound TOO much like a dork (too late), but in a plane, knowledge is power dude, and the more you understand WHY something happens then just memorizing results, the better pilot you are.

Its much easier to teach that when X happens, the result will be Y....but one of the points of putting money into a degree that stretches the far corners of aviation into 4 years, is to go deep into details to learn WHY ....Oh My God, what a concept....for some people to know WHY something happens!!!!!!!

Granted, like everywhere, you may have Bill Nye have every formula known to man, but couldn't start a hot engine to save him, but what can you say.....he's an idiot like that. So granted, knock Ohms and other formulas down, but if you think not knowing aerodynamical concepts and HOW this affects that, then I wouldn't be writing like the hotshots many think they are, 'cause they don't know $hit. Its sad, I bet a good majority of those knocking down formulas they can't even read might not know why Vref changes with weight, who knows....

Never once thought of any formulas or equations when turning into a dead engine. Didn't seem pertinent to the aerodynamical nature of the task at hand.

Gutenberg said:
Never once thought of any formulas or equations when turning into a dead engine. Didn't seem pertinent to the aerodynamical nature of the task at hand.

Wheew, good! Me neither, if you looked at the wording I used the "dead engine turn" as an example of rules of thumbs most pilots don't know the origin of..... (as well as, why Vx and Vy change with alt, etc) not necessarily to be used as a reason to know the L formula, sorry for the confusion. Personally, flying single engine in a twin I'm thinking cont vs perf. and wishing rudder trim was working....

pilotmiketx said:

This just in: the aeronautical engineers who designed the planes you fly, and the test pilots who test flew them, are all "poor pimply turds!"

And why would I be telling you any of that crap?

Oh yeah, and lift formula lesson... if you strike out all the constants, it boils down to Lift = AOA x airspeed. Sound familiar? Ah, who needs to know that crap anyway? It's not like it's the most basic concept to keeping a plane in the air or anything...

Last edited:
viper548 said:
Lots, not all, ERAU grads come out with a sense of entitlement. That's part of the problem

I never met a Riddler that didn't and fortunately I didn't have to attend there but honestly, who in the hell really cares?. Let them feel the need for whatever.... It doesn't have any bearing on most I know who never got one credit from the school.

VNugget said:
This just in: the aeronautical engineers who designed the planes you fly, and the test pilots who test flew them, are all "poor pimply turds!"

Don't recall saying that. All of the Flight Test Engineers that I've flown with have all been pretty humble and very professional and *GASP* they all had GOOD STICK AND RUDDER SKILLS!!! I'm pretty sure when they're flying a test card, they don't have calculus on the brain. And none ever started a sentence with "One time, at Embry-Riddle..."

VNugget said:
And why would I be telling you any of that crap?
Because you have to have the last word. And although you are in your infancy as a pilot, you think you know more than those of us who have been doing it since you were a glimmer in your daddy's eye.

VNugget said:
Oh yeah, and lift formula lesson... if you strike out all the constants, it boils down to Lift = AOA x airspeed. Sound familiar? Ah, who needs to know that crap anyway? It's not like it's the most basic concept to keeping a plane in the air or anything...

There's a concept for you...simplify the material so the already overwhelmed student can digest it and make the transition from Application to Correlation. I think you made my point for me.

I don't see anything wrong with teaching students the lift equation. Other "tool" flight schools like the Navy program will teach that one to you if you go through their program as well.

Let's not forget the Ideal Gas Formula for those after lunch lessons.

You mean, PV=nRT. ALso known as Boyle's Law where the volume of gas is proportional to the temperature and inversely proportional to the pressure. I always wondered why i had to rip one when it got really hot outside.

But seriously, when you have an emergency or failure, the last thing that goes through minds are laws and physics. The first thing should be is company SOPs and i dont think any young punk riddle grad can tell you otherwise.

Latest resources

Back