I think I missed the bus here.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
In response to one of the original questions...an aviation degree is not looked upon any more favorably than any other degree by the "personnel departments" at the airlines.

In fact, most pilots would recommend a degree in anything BUT aviation.

It's the internships that get people hired. I can count many students from the school I went to who got hired on with regionals, some with as little as 400 hours because they did an internship through their college aviation program. Some used the opportunity wisely while others took it for granted, in my opinion.

Show me a sign

Regul8r said:
It's the internships that get people hired.

Right.

When I was close to graduation I applied for an internship with FedEx in the Dispatch office in Memphis.

I was rejected. Little did I know that was a harbinger of things to come.

JWilliams said:
Maybe it's just because I'm a newb to these forums but why is everyone so critical of ERAU?

I have always thought (though I don't recall, now that I think of it, any of my friends that are pilots recommended going there) that was one of the best ways to get a job as an airline pilot.

Isn't an aviation degree looked well upon by the personnel office in most airlines?

I obviously didn't expect to get a job flying left seats for a 747 right out of graduation, maybe most graduates do and that is why people poke fun.

Please, fill me in so I can point my finger and laugh too.

You will come to understand with time...the jokes and reasons behind them...A lot of us are riddle students or alumni....in time you will understand why we joke about it

Kneeshoe, you look like this skiddish kid that crawled in my right seat one time (minus the AR-15 of coarse) and asked "So where do we start??" I told him "you need to be able to say three things to me otherwise not a peep unless were crashing... then say something.' "Ok, what do I need to know" he said. I quickly responded to him " Clear right Captian... I don't know Captian... I'll take the fat one Captian". He never laughed. Get it?? Your not him are ya?? See he was an ERAU guy. I just can't understand why they keep getting a bad wrap??

I know, hate to admit but I was one of many who fell into ExpressJet's new lower minimums (some time ago), but after the wave of job-less pilots from Delta and such took a good portion of the positions, they said "sorry not enough experience, please pass go and you do not collect $200" as I was cursing the computer screen for that blasted email, a little prick who barely knows what the wings are for is grinning from ear to ear because he finished his internship with ExpressJet and was in the new hiring class, and the kicker.....400 hours!

I wanted to kill him......mostly because I was jealous

to quote if I may.. from the NTSB...
"all fatal crashes in the united states consisting of more than one soul on board, were directly linked to having more than one ERAU grad flying the aircraft in question. Both believed they were the PIC and thus forgot to fly said aircraft while argueing about who was in fact the better pilot."
There you have it!!

Latest resources

Back