Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I just read AS may be adding SEA to Tampa, New Orleans, and Detroit!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to mention Chicago is in pretty perilous financial straits also. A cities financial situation doesn't necessarily equate to lack of passengers.

No, especially if it is a connecting hub. If it isn't for your airline, you will be hoping locals pick your airline, or you can consistently fill it with pax from your existing hub in SEA. If the city isn't doing well, that doesn't help on the DTW side.

Delta seems to be picking cities out West that will provide connections in SEA, to try to grow the hub. New domestic cities, and 3 new INTL connections starting soon (Seoul, Hong Kong, London Heathrow). I'm still trying to figure out how your airline chooses new cities. Sometimes it looks like someone might be throwing darts at a map.

Bye Bye---General Lee

5 -10 years from now Alaska will either 1 .. Merger .. Or 2 .. Start flying 787's international .. We can't keep growing any more like we have been .. There are only so many place we can fly out of Pdx and Sea .. And so-cal ...So.. Well see

I vote for 787's! Brad'll do it!! But you got to get past the bean counters and the single fleet idea.

I'm still trying to figure out how your airline chooses new cities. Sometimes it looks like someone might be throwing darts at a map.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How did you do in reading comprehension?
Yes, to you, I'm sure it is confusing. To Alaska it's buisness and data. Do you think they dropped CUN because it was too profitable? Do you think they added Detroit without looking at how many tickets they sold and put on deltas airplanes? Alaska is a money machine with a 12% profit margin. I'm sure many things look random and confusing to you. It's because you don't have the information to make an educated decision. You are in the press box giving an opinion, not on the field calling the plays.

You guys cut the Cancun nonstop from SEA a couple years ago, could have reinstated it maybe, but instead are going nonstop to.....Detroit. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Cancun was a low yield market and at the time there were better places to put the jets. If Cancun looks promising again, then you will see us go there. I'm surprised you are not in management somewhere with all your industry knowledge of yields and revenue generation. Really surprised.

No, especially if it is a connecting hub. If it isn't for your airline, you will be hoping locals pick your airline, or you can consistently fill it with pax from your existing hub in SEA. If the city isn't doing well, that doesn't help on the DTW side.

Delta seems to be picking cities out West that will provide connections in SEA, to try to grow the hub. New domestic cities, and 3 new INTL connections starting soon (Seoul, Hong Kong, London Heathrow). I'm still trying to figure out how your airline chooses new cities. Sometimes it looks like someone might be throwing darts at a map.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Alaska is code sharing beyond DTW, meaning the entire PNW can take our flight to anywhere in the upper midwest and beyond. Alaska is chasing way more than the 300ish average pax that O&D between only Seattle and only Detroit.

I'm surprised we didn't start DTW when we started the code share with Delta. We can dump all of our MVP Golds onto all of those cute RJ's running from the Delta hub out to the Styx.

Cancun was a low yield market and at the time there were better places to put the jets. If Cancun looks promising again, then you will see us go there. I'm surprised you are not in management somewhere with all your industry knowledge of yields and revenue generation. Really surprised.

No, I understand that. But, DL figured something else out, you have to reward your best customers with places that they want to take their families on vacation too. If you want business customer loyalty, a reward for that loyalty pays off in the end. Kinda like adding JNU in the Summer. You'd think CUN would fit that mold from SEA in the Winter. Oh well, maybe DL will add that next Winter....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
No, I understand that. But, DL figured something else out, you have to reward your best customers with places that they want to take their families on vacation too. If you want business customer loyalty, a reward for that loyalty pays off in the end. Kinda like adding JNU in the Summer. You'd think CUN would fit that mold from SEA in the Winter. Oh well, maybe DL will add that next Winter....

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's correct, although I don't think only Delta has figured that out. Alaska has lots of places for them to go with direct service. Cancun was always full, but the revenue wasn't there. In guessing people didn't want to spend any more to go there over the rest of our destinations in mexico that we have a lot more flights into and therefore able to keep the total cost of the operation lower. Cancun may make more sense then others for Delta for the exact same reason.

Latest resources

Back