I have a financial plan for USA Jet...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tail Rotorhead & Those Who Would Really Like To Know,

Since Pilotyip won't defend himself, I will speak up for him.

Pilotyip is most definitely NOT "sneaky, phony, nor is he a backstabbing scab". He IS however very skilled at diplomacy, an ardent practicioner of the art and skill of Positive Mental Attitude (almost to a fault at times), and will ordinarily remain silent towards you if he can't say anything "good". Unlike myself, the proverbial "bull in the china shop, tell it like it is" (which has cost me dearly many times), pilotyip is pretty careful what he says and to whom he's saying it.

When USA Jet lays off pilots, they don't "furlough" them. Rather they "terminate" them. Thus, USA Jet is NOT bound in anyway to call anyone back by seniority or anyother reason. This way the company can call back anyone they desire to, for whatever reason they choose. Frankly, strictly from the company's point of view, this is a strategic benefit because it enables them to weed out those whose "performance" leaves much to be desired.

Pilotyip will, in fact, encourage those he feels have a good chance of being called back when the company's needs require it. Those that he feels probably won't be called back for whatever reason ( It has nothing to do with whether he likes you or not. Over time, he gets a lot of feedback from co-workers, flight following, customer service, check airmen, pilot meetings, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who the performers are and who they are not.), he will do his best to refer them to who IS hiring, and I've personally observed him trying to help them get re-employed somewhere else. It is not strictly his decision as to who gets called back and who doesn't, although he may be inclined either to highly recommend one or not recommend one. This is not only human nature, but in a way, fulfilling a responsibility to the company to "advise" to the best of his ability.

It has been my experience and observation that it's not the "select few" who get called back, but rather the "select few" who DO NOT get called back. Believe it or not, it can come down to something as simple as choosing a guy because he lives in the area, as opposed to one who doesn't. (The company makes it very clear that they prefer "non-commmuters". You'd be amazed at how many will proclaim in their initial interview," Oh yea! I'll move to the Detroit area, but then never do! They'll be the very ones to moan and groan about how the schedule is preferential to those who live in the area! Irrespective of the fact that the company would reimburse them up to $3000.00 for their moving expenses, and put them up in a hotel at company expense for the first 2 weeks!)

I was one who got laid off back in 2001, I never "kissed his butt (infact, he'd probably say I could be a real pain in the ass at times), nor have I ever bought him a single beer, let alone a pitcher!" I got called back. Why? Because I made it a point to do my very best while I WAS working there, I was reliable, I had good pilot skills, I let them know that I was a "long term empoyee", whenever they needed me I said "YES!" with enthusiasm, and while I was laid off, I called every Friday and let them know that I wanted "MY" job back!

Many people, including myself at times, give pilotyip way to much credit for "power and influence" in the company. Certainly, due to his position, he has some, but not to the extent many think. However, he'll be the first to remind us that his influence only goes so far. That many things are "above his paygrade and out of his hands".

No doubt in my mind that the company felt the pain of laying off pilots the last time, and had a hard time getting them back when they needed them. No doubt in my mind that that's why they cut pay this time, and are trying to avoid laying pilots off. Again, from the company's point of view, it's the logical thing to do. Did I like it? Hell no! I'm just as pissed at the pay cut as the rest of the senior pilots! It doesn't keep me from understanding WHY they did it though! I DON'T like it, but I DO understand it.

USA Jets is not the only airline in the business that lays off people when the work slows down. The only companies that don't do that usually end up out of business! When I was laid off, I interviewed with Reliant. The interviewer took great pride in jabbing USA Jet by saying that his company had never laid off a single pilot since he'd been there. Where is Reliant now? Yes, USA Jet has laid off pilots, they may yet have to lay off pilots, but hey, they're still in business so far!

The management at USA Jet are not "rotten". Believe me, I've worked where the management was "rotten", and this management team is far from it! Are they perfect? NO! Have they made mistakes? YES! Are they immune from trying to anticipate business trends, plan accordingly, and end up being wrong or not anticipating all eventualities? NO! Honestly, look at all the "great" airlines that have "gone away". Was it because every single one of their respective management teams were "rotten". Of course not! In Fact, South West seems to be the proof that the UNIONS of those by-gone airlines was the "rotten" element that ultimately led to their demise! I wish I had a nickle for every pilot that I know who aspired and aspires to go to work for South West! Amazingly, the empoyees of South West are incredibly motivated and excited to be working there, without a union!

Let's face the facts, the aviation business is one of the most competitive industries going. (too **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed competitive as far as I'm concerned) In this business environment, it takes a real bone fide genius with a whole lot of money to survive. The fact is there just aren't that many of those around who are "crazy" enough to get involved in this industry! It kind of reminds me of rodeos. Cowboys coming from all over with their "entry fees" just hoping against hope that they got what it takes to last the full 8 seconds! Put that with an aviation business that relies "heavily" on another industry that's equally or greater "swamped" in competition, and it's boggles my mind how they survive at all!

Call me a "mental patient" if you want. In some ways, I would even agree with you. Sometimes I say to myself, "I must have been nuts to choose this career field!" Would I do it again, knowing what I do now?
Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no. Ultimately, I probably would. Why? You know the answer! It's the very thing that makes being a pilot so competitive, we're all "addicted" to flight!

Finally, pilotyip is one of the good guys, and I know that he has taken the "heat" from both sides for his efforts to keep the ball rolling, doing his best to contribute to the growth of the company and the well being of his fellow pilots. Sometimes he can indeed "go over-the-top" with his optimism, but I, for one, am glad he's there. He reminds me of just how import things like a cheerful smile, being motivated and excited regardless of the current circumstances, and seeing the glass half full is! If and when the day comes that he retires and leaves, the whole company will regretfully feel the loss!

I “know” Pilotyip as a true gentleman. Willing to help and motivate pilots all the time.

Looks likes somebody here needs to have few cold beers.

FD

Thanks for proving my points

clansinclair, Don, thanks you are really a big help in proving my point. First of all, while I don't know you personally, I was lucky enough to leave the jet before you were hired, I do know pilotyip. I do still have several very good friends at JUS and I know that you aspire to be the Chief Pilot and that you have made that know from the get-go, if that's not kissing up I don't know what is. I have also read all of your posts being a cheerleader for pilotyip, but you might want to run your post by him first before you speak for him. Putting it our there that JUS doesn't furlough, but TERMINATES their pilots when the going gets rough probably isn't the most helpful thing you can say. So, I stand corrected, they are worse than I thought. They don't have the guts to fire problem people at the time they become a problem, instead they conveniently TERMINATE them when they need to make cut-backs and just don't call them back. Now, as I said before I know people who were responsible and diligent and moved their entire families here for this job and were never called back, despite pilotyip's assurances. Why can't he face these people with the truth instead of stringing people along?

Secondly, I hate to break the news to you but Southwest has never laid off AND they have a union.

Happy hour also proved my point. Hang out at the Wedge, you'll get your call.

I, obviously, having helo time I don't care that helo pilots are hired, I mind that they are promoted and given preferential treatment and that helo time is now counted toward total time, even when the pilot has almost zero fixed wing time. When I worked there pilotyip probably didn't even know I had helo time because it wasn't something that was counted, like most airlines. However, conveniently when pilotyip had someone close to him (I am respecting yip's request not to name names) need a job, helo time was suddenly not only counted but an asset!! Hmmm...

Again, I will say, no it is not pilotyip's fault that the auto industry is slow, but it is his fault that new hires keep walking through the door when it has been slow for a year or more.

Lastly, I find it interesting that the only people willing to defend pilotyip are clansinclair, noted pilotyip lover, some guy who shared a beer at the "wedge" with him and got his call as promised, and some people who don't know him. I knew him, I never got laid off from JUS, I left for a better opportunity, and am now flying as a captain in an A320 and am glad to have YIP in the rearview. If you look at the other threads pilotyip has posted on he doesn't have much support there either. It doesn't appear that he has too many friends on these boards, thank God for Don, huh?

Rotorhead, Rotorhead...
...you're quite cranky...so be it, I' m sure you have good reason.

So you never got furloughed/layed off at USA Jet.?..left on your own terms and made a career as Airbus captain.?..not too shabby...
good for you!!! Don't know why you're so bitter, but like I said, you probably have your reasons.

By the way I left myself...was probably a good move!

I just can't sign up for your theory that YIP is singlehandedly responsible for all that BS thats going on in the On Demand Charter Business and (YES) at USA Jet.

One thing is for sure, and you got that right:
My name says it all: My glass is always at least half full!

Cheerio! Maybe that Dutchmanguy wants to slam a few cold ones?????

Anyone else???

take it easy

Tail Rotorhead,

OK. Good for you that you were able to move on to bigger and better. I really am happy for you.

I just don't get why you have such heartburn with pilotyip. You make it sound like he's THE problem with what's wrong at USA Jet, and that's simply just not true.

About South West, for some reason I was under the impression that their pilots were not union. If I'm wrong about that, then it was an honest mistake. Unlike a lot of pilots, I don't spend my spare time following airline trivia pursuit.

There was a time when I did aspire to perhaps be a Chief Pilot somewhere, but since have changed my mind about that. I realize now that it's too political to be in that position, and frankly, I'm not cut out to be in politics. I'm too apt to say the emporer has no clothes. So if you think I'm kissing up to pilotyip for that, you're wrong.

I simply spoke up for him because he doesn't deserve your degrading remarks about him.

As far as the management strategy at USA Jets, many times I don't like what they decide or do. Many times, their decisions affect me adveresly, at least in the short term, but it's unwise not to try to understand their perspective. I don't believe that the management's soul purpose is to try and figure out how to thwart the hopes and dreams of their workforce just to be able to make a few extra coins.

On the contrary, I'm convinced that they would love to be able to afford to pay the most, offer the most benefits, and be the model of how an airline could be profitable and among the best places to work.
I'm sure that they would rather not lose good people to other places.

It's my opinion that many times the management of this and many other companies get "caught up" in the "crystal palace symdrome" experimenting in "business theory", and inadvertently, forget that their most valuable asset is their people. I also understand how it can happen because human beings are more flexible than machines and tend to absorb more abuse than machines. That's very unfortunate because that error in judgement ulimately becomes the prime factor for most all business woes.

This happens everyday in Washington, D.C. Politicians get so caught up trying to preserve "the country", and tend to forget that "we the people" ARE the country! Management does likewise with "the company". They tend to forget that WE are the company, or at least the most valuable asset of the company. It's the people who make the company work, it's the people who operate the machines, it's the people who make the economy grow, and without the people, the inanimate business assets are worthless.

Hey! How about that bid that just came out for 32 passengers pilots, 26 DC-9 and 6 DA-20

I don't care that helo pilots are hired, I mind that they are promoted and given preferential treatment and that helo time is now counted toward total time, even when the pilot has almost zero fixed wing time.
Having spent a few hours in an R22, I'll never understand why helo time doesn't count DOUBLE! :eek:

Minhberg the Magnificent

Flyingdutchman said:
I “know” Pilotyip as a true gentleman. Willing to help and motivate pilots all the time.

Looks likes somebody here needs to have few cold beers.

FD

I think your not seeing people agree with you on this thread Rotor for fear of retribution. I have a bunch of friends that work for and have worked for USAJ and to listen to them talk is almost verbatum what you stated in your first post on this thread.

Latest resources

Back