I hate wearing my hat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PRIDE

There are some people in this industry (the minority) who have no pride in their job. Being an airline pilot used to carry a great deal of respect in the eyes of the public. This is most certainly not the case now, and I believe part of the reason is pukes like you who wont wear the Uniform with the respect it is due. Thousands of pilots for almost a hundred years have distinguished themselves from the general public by wearing some type of Uniform. Look that word up in a dictionary, read the meaning and then commit it to memory. It means you stand with your brother and sister pilots together as one. The bickering and infighting on this board shows why this profession is on the long downhill spiral it is. We lost sight of who and what we are.
Like any member of a team we should appear to the outside to be one, you dont see Tom Brady or Brett Farvre saying they dont want to wear socks, or wear a helmet which is a different colour from their teammates. The uniform is there to keep us together and equal in the eyes of the public.
I have heard passengers comment on pilots who do not wear their hats, in my opinion HAT= Pilot, No HAT= flight attendant. thanx for the rant, Mung. (I wear my hat)

OneTuffGuy said:
I hate wearing my pilot hat and i refuse to wear it to work anymore. ... I know jet blue does not wear hats and i have noticed more and more people not wearing them lately.
I suggest you immediately resign your position so you will no longer be required to compromise your personal integrity by wearing a cover on your empty head. Then you can apply to JetBlue, and wait for them to call. Don't throw the hat away, though. You might wanna auction it on ebay so you can afford a few vienna sausages while you're waiting for JetBlue to call.

Good grief....

It states very clearly in every airlines' Operating Manuals that a pilot shall wear the required uniform. If one can not do that simply task that most 1st graders grasp the concept of, then I agree with Tony. Please resign your position. Let a professional do a professional's job.

Hey Tuff Guy, what other rules and regs do you decide are for other people and not you. I bet you got your ATP when you were 20. You should have. That reg is in place for every other pilot.

My FOM says I can not wear earrings. Maybe I should and I think that I will tell the chief pilot that a Mesa guy told me that it was the right thing to do. I also drink within 12 hours of show time if it will help scheduling get a plane back to MSP. That rule is for pilots who drink like girls.

you want to be professional? then you should have proper etiquette also, which is very clear that no one should wear a hat indoors. so unless you all want to argue with years of people removing hats while inside from the days of the pioneers and indians then think about how it looks to wear hat around indoors when etiquette would tell you to remove it. as for the american public thinking it is professional then no one would fly on jet blue or flight options if that held true cause i guess they all must be a bunch of unprofessional pilots. Funny thing is people would fly on whatever airline is the cheapest no matter what they wore even if it was jeans and polo shirts. if there are typos on this post it is because i dont have my pilot hat on so i am stupid right now. later i will go get it sit down at the computer and type with it on that way i can become all of a sudden smarter.......

/sarcasm

Like, OMG, you're sooooo right.

I hate wearing my tie tab. I'm going to stop wearing it. You know what, I hate our whole uniform. I'm just gonna stop wearing it. Sweats and tennis shoes from here on out!

/end sarcasm

Shut the Fvck up and put on your lid.

remember that piece of paper that you signed when you agreed to employment. It says you'll wear the uniform. The hat is part of your uniform. Don't like it? Go somewhere without hats as the uniform. I'll drop some pretzels off at the employment agency. Grow up already.

Uniform Sound Off

The hats suck! They are outdated and most importantly uncomfortable, especially when rushing through the terminal to catch a flight. Worst yet when its real warm in the terminal. There are already many hat rule breakers out their, and wearing them as optional will probably appear at more and more airlines (praying). Worst offender (God bless em)...NWA pilots. Have a look around MSP or DTW. Though I did recently see a female NWA pilot wearing the classic female only hat style. That looks as Simon from American Idol would put it "dreadful".
Crews at my airline rarely match disregarding the hats: Leather jacket or blazer, blazer with or without overcoat, long sleave or shirt sleave, bus driver style sweaters or no sweater, grade school looking engraved wings or real metal wings, normal belt buckle, or Houston style am I cowboy or pilot belt buckle, different shoes.
My suggestion, Cashmere short sleave shirts and leather jacket that both have PILOT in big letters on the back and front, just like the FBI Jackets.

L-O-L

I mostly just lurk here, since I am such a noob...

At the very, very beginning of my career in aviation, I face many challenges and generally a very hard road ahead.

One of the aspects of the road I face is the intense competition for the good job.

It is such an encouragement to me to come to flightinfo.com and read the idiotic, silly crap that comes out of the minds of the types of people I will eventually be competing with for a job.

I am thinking that when my time comes, I will be just fine.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back