Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: The Rest of the Story

bobbysamd said:
The school wouldn't happen to be the 141 outfit that was publicized recently in a Chicago newspaper, would it? :eek:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Iceman21,

Your story is sad, but not uncommon. Your first duty is family. File for unemployment and seek employment elsewhere, aviation or not. Learn from this experience, employment is never guaranteed. Employers demand two weeks notice before your departure while reserving the right to dismiss without warning.

I don't want to seem callous, but everyone has a story. Pick yourself up, find work and get your house in order. These things have a way of working out.

This is just one of many speedbumps in your life. Don't let this speedbump distract you into the parked car your're passing.

I have a three-month old son and we qualify for WIC as a second-year regional FO.

I can't believe nobody commented on this statement.

Unbelievable.

Yes, indeed it is. However, it is still somewhat jarring to read that a 2nd year FO has to go on WIC.

To be eligible on the basis of income, applicants' gross income (i.e. before taxes are withheld) must fall at or below 185 percent of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines:

when i need work, driving a taxi works pretty well. I like the all night shift, picking up drunks from bars, etc.

i got fired from flying sky divers in twin otters a couple weeks ago. my boss thought he was donald trump ("you'r e fired"! (he wanted me to wash the planes on my days off).

Perhaps to you. I was eligible for that for much of my flying career, as well as welfare...and was frequently technically below the poverty level.

It's a relative, thing, however. I can distinctly recall noting the irony while spraying in Kansas as a kid that the doctor and the attorney in town lived in a like manner; barely making it, while farmers who did nothing but show a crop every few years and scam off PIK were buying a new Combine every year so sit out on rust row and depreciate, had the latest stereo or even television in their air conditioned enclosed cabs on their farm equipment, and drove new cars. The rest of us were trying to see if the rusted chassy would really make 300,000 miles, or not.

(it will)

would appear to me after reading that linked thread (thank you bobby) and reading this thread that AF up there in chicago is run by itself....lending its operations to be specific to the management team (wallet rapists) presently installed by the AF home office.

they have an interesting approach to teaching however reading the description to how their management communicatres, it would seem to me that their communication it literally 3rd or 4th hand by the time it gets to the big decision maker. ever do that team building exercise where you whisper something in someones ear and then by the time it gets back around the circle its completely something else thatn what you said before?

all that big cheese boss guy (or the head cheese?) hears is the interpretation of events from one guy who game him his interpretation of events from another guy who already had his interpretation of the events....etc..

what im most shocked about is that the bossman who fired you, didn't ask you PERSONALLY about the interaction of you and your student. all he knows is what his lackeys #2 and #3 told him. he had and has no intention of talking with the instructors about the happenings....he trusts the management first then the CFI's lastly. that embarassing in itself for any company. AF is not microsoft. it HAS to have a personal level of interaction somewhere between its boss and employees....not with the middlemen of free thinking biased and edited reporting skills. (geraldo rivera style)

advice to help: ask if you can put in a letter of resignation. now is the time to rebuild any bridge that may have caught fire and not completely burned down. a non-descript and vague letter of resignation is the way to go and therefore they cant tell anyone you were fired. you resigned! and they cant say why cause your letter says nothing about why. but you can tell your next employer any reason you want to. any bad mouthing from them about your leaving in regards to your resignation will hurt your hiring somewhere else and is cause for a lawsuit and some $$ for your kids college. when i speak of being hired...i mean anywhere. were talking non-aviation specific even. this works for EVERY place.

now speaking of lawsuits. if this really is complete bull-puckey:

you could pull a case for unlawful termination if you really believe a fault is at hand. if you go that route, get statements taken from your student that you were with that afternoon, as well as any students that you work with. even that one that left early before flying that whole blocked out saturday. and build a background showing that you have absolutely all levels of professional ability and talent. and then show how the companies organization lends itself to being completely unaware of whats going on with its workforce teaching out on "the line", as well as its unwillingness to let students acutally learn from spending its money......they get not the product theyve been buying from teh company cause of the companies actions....not yours....(that is what it looks like to me)

(3rd grade afterschool: "Now you know. and knowing is half the battle!")

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back