• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman21

Moving on up - someday
Well I got canned yesterday.

It's been a hard few months and now this. I go into my boss's office, mind you the current boss is the vice president of the company, and he is generally very approachable and willing to talk.

So as I said before, I go into his office and tell him I wanted to talk because I needed a pick me up (rent is 15 days late, cell phone got shut off last week, home phone got shut off two days ago, wife is 6 months pregnant w/ child #2 and the bills are stacked through the chimmney). He tells me that he will talk to me tomorrow late morning because he was heading out for the day and had to make an important phone call.

Tomorrow comes and I went in to work early to talk to him, however, he wasn't in yet. I get with my student for the day and everything goes well. I am on my way out the door, the boss stops me and says "Let's take 5 minutes and talk ." "Okay." I say. He grabs, the chief instructor, who is a good friend of mine, and we sit down in his office. Here I am thinking I am gonna walk out of his office feeling like a million bucks, and the next sentance that comes out of my boss' mouth is "You told me yesterday that you needed a 'pick me up', that made me say 'Wait a minute, what is going on with this guy?', so after looking into it, I am gonna put it this way. I am letting you go."

The chief instructor's mouth hits the floor and I just sat there staring at him like a deer in headlights. I seriously thought he was joking. I was honestly waiting for him to start laughing. He had me turn in my keys and that was that.

:eek: is about the way I feel right now.

So I mosey on down to the unemployment office this morning and I find out that I am elible for a whopping $51.00 a week, and that is if I qualify.

Last edited:
Iceman,

Sorry about the job. I'm not sure that I follow your story here, when you say you were looking for a "pick me up" what exactly were you asking for?

A Raise? An advance on your next paycheck? A pep talk, reassurance that things would get better? , A bottle of scotch? Not trying to make light of your situation, I just haven't heard "pick me up" used in this context and am wondering.

Red Bull. It gives you wings.

Again, I don't mean to make light of your situation. It sounds like a crappy deal to me. One thing that struck me about your post.....what state only pays $51 a week unemployment? Or is it that low because you weren't making all that much as an instructor? I guess I'm a little ignorant how it works.

Anyway, sorry about your situation. Hopefully, it will lead to something much better in the near future.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear it. You're the second time I've seen this man suddenly fire someone with a pregnant wife.

Holy crap bro! Hey if there's anything I can do, shoot me an e-mail or PM. Except money, sorry, because I hardly have any either! But hey in these tough times your friends are those you should rely on. I know all of us DT-ers will be willing to lay a helping hand how we can. Well at least I know me and JVZ would!

Let me know. :(

He said his unemployment check would be $51.00 a week, not $51.00 a month. Not a lot, but way better than a mothly stipend.

A couple of questions here Iceman.

First, what were the reasons this man fired you? Were you consistently going in and asking for an advance on your pay? If so, perhaps he got the feeling that you were not able to manage your money and therefore, how could you manage students. I am not saying what he did was right, but like others, I am trying to get a handle on what he was thinking.

Second, can you go back in and quit in lieu of termination? This looks better on your record, and you can say in future interviews that you needed a position that was more secure financially.

Third, was there any paper trail? Had you been written up for other things? Did students complain about you? You may be in an employment at will state, which means they can terminate for what ever reason they want. However, it does not mean that you cannot fight them in court. (Be careful, aviation is a small industry) I can guarantee you that they will probably try to deny your unemployment claim. Do not give up on this though. Most times the unemployment people will rule in the favor of the employee unless you have shown a history of "willful misconduct."

I would suggest that you go to your local Department of Economic Security office and get signed up for health care, food assistance and your local WIC office for your wife since she is pregnant. This is not a time to have pride. It is a time to take care of your family.

Keep your chin up. Although it may not seem like it now, I believe that everything happens for a reason.

Kathy

Give us your background. What city do you live, give us some info and mabe we can score you a new job.
FD

Latest resources

Back