• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I got canned!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off, I'm sorry about the job loss. From the descriptions of that place, I wouldn't have lasted an entire week there when I was instructing. But as others have said, you are clearly better off not working in such an unethical training environment. BTW, I was impressed with your attitude towards the student whose situation you described. You did the right thing and clearly have superior ethics.

To those who have felt the need to criticize:

It never, ever ceases to amaze me how many people feel the need to stand up in their glass house and start tossing stones. Whether it be a person's private decision to have a child or whether they choose to smoke, no one asked us our opinion on his family choices or health issues.

I suppose, intrinsically, it comes down to the human need to always feel superior to someone else. By picking apart another person's life choices, it makes us feel somehow more "intelligent," despite the fact that I can guarantee you that each and every one of us have made less than stellar decisions in our lives.

Don't want to tick anyone off here, but I was just amazed as I read through the threads (this one was just the final straw for me) at this absolute need people have to be judge and jury for everyone else out there in the world. If we were to direct just half of that energy into helping other human beings, the results would be amazing.

Ah well.....flame away....I'm sure I'm gonna catch it with both barrels for this one.....

I actually thought he got some good advice!

If you want a hug, go to Oprah..

As far as smoking...sorry, It is not an attractive habit and many WILL look down on you for being a smoker. I myself really dont have anything against it - its a free country..but a flight school owner may get a little mad if your student looks lost while you are outside having a butt...at least wait until he is outside preflighting..

and dont cry poverty and worry about feeding your kids ...and smoke $5/pack marlboros...

thats insane.

$5 buys a lot of mac & cheese - a kid favorite.

Let me just say I had to deal with his "VP" back in '95 and even back then and frankly long before and since he was doing this stuff. When I first read the story I too had the snap impression that perhaps Iceman did something to bring this on himself but please, please trust me when I figured out who and where he worked I now know he is just the latest victim of Mr. DH.

Sorry it happened, keep your chin up.

Gulfstream 200 said:
As far as smoking...sorry, It is not an attractive habit and many WILL look down on you for being a smoker....and dont cry poverty and worry about feeding your kids and smoke $5/pack marlboros...thats insane.

$5 buys a lot of mac & cheese - a kid favorite.

Ditto. At $5 pack with 1/2 pack a day, that's $75/mo. With one toddler and a baby on the way it's time to give that up!!! At least for your kids health. Plus if you want health insurance for your family, your rates just went waaaay up.

Standby 1,

To post on these forums is to invite comment. There is no other purpose. Now, you don't get to choose what sort of commentary you get. It may be sympathy, it may be advice, or it may be pointed observation about the situation. If you're not willing to accept any or all of the above, don't post.

As for commenting on someone's reproductive choices, yeah it's thier business, as long as they are able to support those choices on thier own. As long as you're having children that you can adequately care for by yourself, knock yourself out, have as many as you want. As soon as you start coming to me for monetary assistance (WIC, Welfare, whatever) because of the result of your reproductive choices, then yes, it *is* my business.

By Iceman's own account, he was unable to adequately support one wife and one child, even before he got fired. While commenting on adding another child may be "closing the barn door after the horse has escaped", it is not an unexpected nor unreasonable reaction from those who will likely soon be paying for the outcome of his reproductive choices.

As for the smoking, ignoring the health issues, not only did it play a supporting role in him getting fired, it is also a factor in dealing with the finacial aftermath. As such, it invites commentary. Av8trxx's analasys is spot on. We don't know how much he smokes, but using a half-pack a day habit as a starting point, that's over a third of the total unemployment benefits. Now, he may smoke more, or he may smoke less, but in any case, if someone is bemoaning thier financial plight, it is not unreasonable to point out that a substantial portion of his income is being spent on a frivlous habit.

Dude, that stinks, but I had a similar thing happen to me 7 years ago. The boss was a dipstick (and about 5 years younger than me), and did the same thing without warning. When I started working there they had 1 student and in a few months time I had 25 and they had to hire another instructor. I had just gotten engaged (to a women with a bunch of kids I might add), and prospects looked grim. But I am here to tell you it was the best thing that happenend. I am still at the same job I took after that one and have done pretty well. It definatley was a blessing in disguise to get fired for sure. I could have never gotten to do the things I've done if I'd never come here. As far as the boss goes he definatley is not a people person. Everyone needs a pep talk once in a while. Hopefully he will see what he has lost. As for me the company I used to work for is all but out of business. All the students left and went elsewhere and so did their renters. What goes around comes around

chperplt said:
I happen to think WIC is a great program. I am happy to have my tax dollars going to a good program. Food is a necessity and should be given to those who do not have.

Welfare is actually what perpetuates sexual stupidity and should go away. Why on earth should I work to pay for some lazy dumbass who by way of additional children, earns additional benefit.
Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself!

When I was in high school, I was a checker at a grocery store. You wouldn't believe all of the crap that people bought with food stamps. Junk food, candy gum, every kind of crap imaginable.

One time, I had a guy come through my line and check out. After he gave me the food stamps, I gave him his change (anything less than $1 in change is returned in actual coins). He counted his change, looked at the Weekly World News next to the checkstand and realized he didn't have enough to buy it. So he went BACK through the line, found the cheapest piece of candy he could find, paid for it with a $1 food stamp, then proceeded to take his accumulated change and purchase the Weekly World News.

Since the change provided was paid out of food stamp proceeds, essentially what happened was, our taxes paid for this scumbag to buy the Weekly World News. I was livid, but there was nothing I could do about it.

WIC, on the other hand, is great. The recipients are given a shopping list of authorized (healthy) foods, and a blank check. The cashier checks the items purchased against the list, then fills in the purchase amount in the check. No junk food, no monetary change, no Weekly World News, just healthy food.

I wish that Food Stamps were done away with and replaced with a greatly expanded WIC like program. It would definitely give the recipients more benefit for the money.

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back