I got canned!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
forget about unemployment.

get yourself a job at night ANYWHERE....waiting, bartending...etc....cash is needed for the family. Night jobs pay better.

This also frees up your days to look for a new job.

What part of the country you looking in? post it here!!! people here can be amazingly helpful.

I wouldntt consider fighting it in court - even if you win something - flight schools dont have any money - you wont see a dime.

I would, however, feel better myself slashing his car tires or raking him across the knees with a baseball bat in a dark parking lot....but thats just me.

anyone who fires a guy with a baby on the way deserves it. (Im assuming you didnt deserve to be let go here Iceman...)

Being suddenly fired is very rare - if not borderline illegal. Have you been disciplined before? have a file of write ups? I would find out...be sure false info didnt get you fired!

Anyhow, your next job will no doubt be better and you will laugh about this prik.

Last edited:
???

You got canned becasue you went in looking for a "pick me up?" Cmon, dude there's a lot more to this story that you're not telling us.

Last edited:
Termination aftermath

I'm not sure, also, what you mean by a "pick me up." If you mean an advance on your pay and you do not habitually make such requests, your being canned has no reason. Assuming that you had a good record in the company, the guy is an SOB and should be impaled in his groin for what he pulled on you.

Having said that, you should see if there is someone in the company who might be willing to write you an LOR. You can brandish the letter at interviews, which could obviate any bad references and/or badmouthing.

Badmouthing could happen, but, in this day and age, is not likely. As I'm sure Resume Writer will attest, employers are cautioned heavily to provide only dates of employment and salary when giving refererences. Any characterization about the person could lead to all manner of defamation and wrongful termination lawsuits. While cases like these are extremely hard to prove, it's not sound business practice to expose one's company to such risk.

(Based on the information you have provided, I'd love to see this guy suffer a wrongful termination suit! :mad: )

I disagree with previous comments about forgetting about unemployment. You don't want to forego your legal right to this benefit, especially because you have it coming. Most states provide up to twenty-six weeks of unemployment benefits, and there may be extended programs in some states. I second Resume Writer about applying for entitlement programs for which you're eligible. These programs are intended for those in your predicament.

You do want to update your resume and hit the bricks. I'd bet that once word gets around on the board about what happened to you that people will be extremely helpful and come up with leads and/or ideas to pursue.

Sorry to hear what happened. It sucks. I know. You have every right to be angry.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I think Bobbysamd said it pretty well (as usual!) My only other take is this, I have a couple of friends - Guido and Salvatore. They would be more than willing to 'interview' this loser and get the real story and persuade him to change his mind.....;)

I would not say to forget about unemployment. Of course he needs a job, but he also, as Bobby says, has a right to this benefit. Further, unemployment has some job services that could possibly help him that are only available if your are on unemployment. Unemployment takes about 1-2 weeks to kick in, so he may already have a job by then and it may be a moot point. But in case he does not, at least he has some money coming in.

Bobby is right when he says that most employers shy away from giving bad references, however, it does still happen. Do NOT put this guy as any kind of reference on an application. Either put down HR or someone who will speak highly of you.

When Iceman is speaking about only getting $51 on unemployment, it is based upon your earnings. A flight instructor job, as we all know, does not pay very well. So, that is where the figure comes in to play. My state only pays about $205 a week.

:( That is pathetic also.

Kathy

Kathy,

The advice about "quit" vs "fired" is a double-edged sword: an employee who "quits" or is "fired for cause" is not eligible for unemployment $. One who is "laid off" (i.e. no fault of his own) is. Since the workforce commission goes back to the employer for some of the money that they pay out, an employer might be only too happy to agree to a "yeah, you quit voluntarily" deal, since it saves them $ without having to prove "for cause". Of course, if they do prove the "fired for cause" deal, it's the worst of both worlds, "fired" on the resume AND no unemployment $. But one can appeal the "for cause" determination, at least in the state where my source has firsthand experience in the matter.

It's a tradeoff: "quit" looks better on a resume in the future, but guarantees no unemployment benefit now. "Fired" may tip toward "laid off" & $, or to "for cause" and nothing.

Just a thought. Crummy spot to be in.

Snoopy

Snoopy,

I totally agree and you are 100% correct. I think the problem here is that until we know what really happened, it is hard to give any advice. It depends on what the prospects are in the town where Iceman lives at to what he should do. No prospects - unemployment. Prospects - possibly resign.

Technically an employer is not supposed to be able to inquire about whether you were terminated - however, they can ask if you are "available for re-hire." Of course, if a company has a policy against rehiring former employees, that is one thing. If they don't, it's kind of like secret code for "he was fired."

Yes, there is an appeal process. In fact, the way it works is this:

1. He files for unemployment.
2. The Unemployment office inquires with the employer. (employer either fights it or accepts it)
3. If the employer fights it, (which they most likely will since in the long run it counts against their experience rating) and they provide "proof" to the UE office.
4. He will be called by a Deputy Administrator with Unemployment and gets to tell UE his side of the story
5. UE makes a decision.
6. If they decide for him, the employer can appeal.
7. If the employer appeals, it will go in front of an administrative law judge with him and the employer or employer attorney
8. Judge hears both sides in a taped courtroom appearance.
9. Judge makes a decision
10. If judge rules in his favor, employer has right to appeal again
11. Employer must show why judge made error in ruling with evidence
12. Case goes before a tribunal of judges, no hearing
13. Tribunal make a decision
14. If tribunal goes in his favor, the employer can STILL appeal. (totally ridiculous) Most times the employer will not appeal.

This tactic is used a lot because they assume that no one has the staying power to put up with the nonsense. I would say keep answering the appeals, make it hard for the employer and cost them some money. (that is just my principle talking if it is indeed a wrongful termination!)

Still waiting to hear from you Iceman....

Kathy

Last edited:
Just a little help on unemployment issues. I worked as an unemployment cost consultant on the company side many moons ago. Every state is different. Some are more conservative than others of course. Just because you were fired or quit DOES NOT mean you aren't eligible for unemployment. As an example, if you quit because you've been getting harassed in some manner, you'll probably be eligible. If you've been fired and never issued a warning, or been given one and not told the time the original warning was issued that you'll be fired for the same problem next time it occurs, you're eligible.

There are appeals processes for both sides in most all states. Typically not in a courtroom however. Some states may have them in courtrooms but most of them you're simply spending time with someone authorized to issue a decision. They may not have a law degree but you can bet they know unemployment law.

Mr. I.

Being canned v. being asked to resign

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Just because you were fired or quit DOES NOT mean you aren't eligible for unemployment.
That is absolutely correct. Being asked to resign is tantamount to being fired, and may not be cause to deny unemployment benefits.

Something like that happened in my very last avaition job. The "bosses" told me I could either be fired for "unprofessional conduct" or resign and be given an LOR. I had the presence of mind to choose the latter because I knew that being asked to resign is no different than outright termination. I wrote a two-line resignation letter stating that based on our discussion I was resigning and I understood they would provide the letter of reference. I made a copy of the letter. I had to go through a hearing before a referee, but I eventually got my unemployment benefits. The employers had blown a deadline to respond to my appeal and lost standing to appear at the hearing, but it still went. I presented my case and won. It satisfied me to no end that I beat the SOBs.

For the "rest of the story," the place lost the lucrative foreign airline contract for which I had been hired to instruct and from which the company was chisling revenue, and eventually went tango-uniform.

Be sure you know your rights and the law. Once again, a plug for Every Employee's Guide to the Law by Lewin G. Joel, III. As the expression goes, bastardus non carborundum or something like that.

Iceman, there's more to the story.

What part of the states do you live, so "we" (what's this "we" stuff) can help you get another job. Also, consider driving a limo or so; did that myself for a while; it's flexible and the tips aren't too bad.

Latest resources

Back