I Don't Know How To Ident!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DME or radar required

Mooney/U (not equipped with DME) on an instrument approach with the NOTE: DME or radar required

Atlanta: Mooney 123...cleared for the ILS 20L PDK.

Mooney pilot: Uhh atlanta, I don't have radar on board.

Atlanta: Mooney 123, don't worry I do.

:p made my day

Mike Oxlong said:
Apparently none of you have ever made a mistake...

--From the guy with ~300 hours

300 hours and this guy wants to report him to the FSDO....just wait. With 300 hours you are just starting to get dangerous. I remember a stat that said pilots with 500-1000 hours are the most unsafe. Because they comfortable flying but try stupid dangerous stuff. After 1000 hours they become more safe because they have scared themselves to death once or twice in the 500-1000 hour range.

Be safe and take your own advise (I guess) and don't make any mistakes because you all know it all and were never a new private pilot.

Cut the guy some slack...it is a certificate to learn.

I agree... I've heard worse. MUCH worse. ATC telling a student to turn the the letter "N" then the letter "W" comes to mind. At least this poor soul admitted he didn't know how to do something. It's the ones who don't admit it that scare me.

A call to the CFI the guy normally uses for a little remiedial might be in order.

I was relaying this story to a student the other night on our night x-ctry. I acquired this student from another instructor after he solo-ed, yet he had not yet done any x-ctrys. He was very solid in his knowledge, flight planning, I could not catch him off-guard on anything.

As we were taxi-ing and diligently looking at the sample light gun signals from tower, I told him about how as instructors we try to cover everything, sometimes some thing can be forgotten by either party, or taught yet there is so much information it is forgotten. As I am relaying this story from flight info, he said to me, "glad you told me, I did not know what 'ident" meant".

Glad I read flightinfo...

After flying 737s for a year, I went back to my company's L-1011s. During my absence, all of the transponders were changed to this new fangled fancy model to meet some European/ICAO requirement.

First flight back in the airplane I was asked by ATC to ident. I looked at the transponder panel, then at the captain, and said, "how do I do that?"

Moral of the story? We all wish that we know everything, fly perfectly, and never make a mistake. But sometimes stuff happens. Give the poor guy a break, and if you want to blame someone, blame his instructor. (I used to be a CFI, so I'll take some heat)

As for the controller. If he had time to chastise him over the frequency, he probably had time to tell him to press the ident button on the transponder...

ATRedneck said:
How 'bout that... I went and learned something today.

The only problem is that every time I learn something new, it pushes out some of the old stuff... like the time I took that home winemaking class and forgot how to drive.
that's hilarious! I feel your pain man.

Lrjtcaptain said:
Im just in awe that something that basic yet important goes unnoticed during flight training and a checkride. We are just outside a major Bravo and a private pilot doesn't know what IDENT means. My opinion of today's private pilots has hit rock bottom. Position and hold means nothing to them, they don't understand it. Position reporting. Phraseology, proper radio ethics such as monitoring a freq for a few seconds to see if anyone is speaking. Do the DE's these days even use a PTS or do they just collect their 350bucks and sign the ticket. Truley amazing.
I love Friday afternoons. All I want to do is get home safe and sound and I hear center is having to explain once again to some IFR guy what a "Pilot's Descretion" clearance is.

I love Friday afternoons. All I want to do is get home safe and sound and I hear center is having to explain once again to some IFR guy what a "Pilot's Descretion" clearance is.

I spend most Friday afternoons explaining over and over that the recommended cruising altitudes for VFR flight are odd + 500 eastbound and even + 500 westbound.

I realise it's not a *rule* to fly those altitudes, but if you want into the NAS for flight following, then 6200' is not an appropriate VFR altitude eastbound....:cool:

I wish someone would explain to the controllers up here that it's only when cruising above 3,000' AGL...can't tell you how many times I get "you can have 2500 or 4500 for that direction" (elevation 1200)...

Not like I want in the system...I'm just departing Class C...once I'm gone, they can boot me...fine by me. I just want to cruise at 2800 for another 3 miles to miss the tower at my 12 O clock...

-mini

minitour said:
I wish someone would explain to the controllers up here that it's only when cruising above 3,000' AGL...can't tell you how many times I get "you can have 2500 or 4500 for that direction" (elevation 1200)...

Not like I want in the system...I'm just departing Class C...once I'm gone, they can boot me...fine by me. I just want to cruise at 2800 for another 3 miles to miss the tower at my 12 O clock...

-mini
yea...while getting vectors in a B-100, my captain gets frustrated with the deal and cancels with MKE to get into UES. The controller says, "OK you're VFR...fly heading..." The captain says, "we're done with vectors, were outside of class C airspace!" She says, "Yes, but you're still insdide my 20 mile..."

Next thing I hear is, "Lady, what's your sup's initials?"

Oh boy, I thought I was going to get to go home early...Jean Claude Van Dam of the radio get's on the phone at the FBO and spends over an hour talking to some dude over at ATC. We finally get back to the plane and leave and I'm thinking I want that hour and half of my life back. But then I would have probably wasted it here anyway. :rolleyes:

-mini

They are probably entering the requested alt. in the ARTS scratchpad along with N# and type etc. We do it here too, to eliminate extra strips and coordination, but the computers don't always like digesting odd altitudes. Still, they shouldn't give you grief over it. They are supposed to remind pilots of the correct VFR altitudes above 3000' AGL.

But we pretty much terminate everyone below 3000' after 20 miles. Below 3000', Center can't reliably see you for FF anyway....

yea...while getting vectors in a B-100, my captain gets frustrated with the deal and cancels with MKE to get into UES. The controller says, "OK you're VFR...fly heading..." The captain says, "we're done with vectors, were outside of class C airspace!" She says, "Yes, but you're still insdide my 20 mile..."

Well, technically, she's right, if you only canceled IFR, she's still supposed to provide Class C service within the 20 mile Outer Area, but you can always decide to terminate all radar service beyond the 5/10 mile rings.

I'd have probably just said "Numerous targets ten to two o'clock, squawk VFR, freq change approved, buenos suerte..."

Latest resources

Back