• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I Don't Know How To Ident!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do Not Cross the Streams, thats very important. If you cross the streams, all life as you know it will cease to exist. Remember that.

*from Ghostbusters.

with the automated system, wouldnt it activate someones else's flight plan? hear it happens when changing codes. i turn to stdby when changing codes

Squawking higher digits than "7"?

How's this: Getting vectored for a PAR into El Toro (NZJ) on a hazy Saturday afternoon.

SoCal: "Ghost 21, turn right heading 340. Out of the turn, traffic 11-o'clock, 4 miles, type and altitude unknown"
Me: "Right to 340...looking"
SoCal: "Further right, heading 360...traffic 11-o'clock, 2-miles!"
Me: "360...No joy"
SoCal: "Turn right heading 370, traffic 1-mile!"
Me: "My compass only goes to 360"
SoCal: "Then give me all you got!"

The traffic turned out to be a banner-tow flying down the beach line.

dseagrav said:
Hey, question for you. What happens if two people end up with the same transponder code at the same time?

Well, (Speaking of ARTS or Terminal radar systems) several things can happen. In the case of one aircraft accidently setting the wrong code that belongs to another aircraft that's already tagged and tracked, we'll get a Dupe Beacon warning; that is, [DB] will start to flash beside the tag(s) of the targets involved. Not a big deal, except to track down the offending aircraft.

What can be much more of a problem is somebody that sets the wrong code in their Xponder, and the aircraft who IS supposed to be on that code hasn't arrived or departed or otherwise tagged yet. The computer doesn't know any different, so puts the wrong tag on the wrong target, and activates the flight plan in the NAS. That can get real messy IF the controllers don't recognise right away what's happened. The controller could be issuing vectors and traffic to the wrong aircraft. Usually we do recognise the situation, but it's a PITA at times, especially for IFR flights. Sometimes we wind up having to drop and re-enter the flight plans with new codes because it's too much trouble to get the computers involved to swap tags.

Kream926 said:
with the automated system, wouldnt it activate someones else's flight plan? hear it happens when changing codes. i turn to stdby when changing codes

That's not really necessary. The computer won't "act" on a wrong code until it sees the same code reply 3-4 times in a row. So if your transponder sends 2340 once while you're in the process of changing to 2345, nothing happens.

Latest resources

Back