I didn't know this about GVs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
I think these aircraft are too much for a owner KA or Baron or even a Citation pilot to just transition into. Those swept wings, speed, and not truly understanding the systems operations are going to get a lot of those guys in lots of trouble. When coming out of altitude and you pull the power back on a KA or Baron, it slows down, not so on these slippery jets. You can go down or slow down, but you can't do both. I think these VLJ pilots are going to be too dependent on the Avionics, and when the A/P signs off in IMC, they'll be too busy trying to figure out why and how to get it back on line instead of flying the airplane, and it's going to rain VLJ.

I agree but you can bet your a$$ they won't be marketed like this. The salesmen are gonna hit the Doctor's conventions and Bar Assoc. meetings like a ton of bricks. The "my penis is bigger than your penis" mentality is more prevalent than ever among the monied in this country and they are licking their chops. JMO.TC

HawkerF/O said:
"Adam Aircraft's A700, for example, sells for $2 million and has more sophisticated avionics in the cockpit than a $40 million Gulfstream G5, said company president Joe Walker. "

It's statements like these why they tell you to put the CRACK pipe down.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_on_bi_ge/little_jets_1

God bless Joe. I always enjoyed working with him and I've been out to his factory at Centennial several times. With the assistance of VP Flight Ops Bill Watters, they're making a quality product.

You have to parse Joe's words carefully. He said the $40 million dollar "G5" (which Gulfstream hasn't made since October 2003), not the $48 million G550 with Planeview, Cursor Control Devices and enhanced MCDU's which is Gulfstream's current offering.

As an aside, there are many avionics devices offering sophisticated features that have been rejected by Gulfstream because they cannot pass the company's rigorous EMC testing. During development the G550 went through extensive Multiple-Burst and Multiple Stroke Lightening testing and High Intensity Radiated Field Testing and is engineered to meet RTCA/DO-160P/E standards as well as Mil Std - 461E/ 462D standards (because governments and militaries are the largest purchaser of Gulfstream jets).

GV

I just got in from the NBAA regional in BCT today and had a chance to looke at the Eclipse and Phenom. The Exclipse reminded me of a Cherokee Six with jet engines. Avionics looked great and has side-stick controls. Folks in the backseats better be on the small side. I was disappointed in the interior as it really did look Piper-ish. I've seen turbine Malibu's and Caravans with much better interiors. You won't believe how freakin small that engine is. I swear a hummingbird would FOD out the engine.

The Phenom 100/300 looks great for a small jet. Again, avionics are superb. The 100/300 retain the EMB "rams horn" yoke. In both aircraft, a lot of time and energy are going to have to be spent learning and keeping up with them. For the guy that flys 50 hours a year, he's either in trouble or won't use whats in front of him to its fullest extent. I really hope the FAA mandates something along the lines of a type rating style school for the pilot's who fly them.

I agree with most opinions here that the doc's and dicks (lawyers) are going to have their hands full as any low experience pilot would in a sophisticated jet.

Off to La Bella Macchina to check out the Ferrari's!

2000Flyer

Last edited:
1,000 gulfstreams

GVFlyer said:
(because governments and militaries are the largest purchaser of Gulfstream jets).

GV

Are you sure about that?

Or do you mean that they are the largest SINGLE purchaser of Gulfstreams. I can't believe that they have half of the units built. That would be alot!

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
Are you sure about that?

Or do you mean that they are the largest SINGLE purchaser of Gulfstreams. I can't believe that they have half of the units built. That would be alot!

Ace

You are right in your assumption and rethinking my statement, even that isn't correct anymore as NetJets has purchased over 50 large cabin Gulfstreams.

GV

has anyone used the Honeywell GNS? It is the most worthless gns out there. we changed ours to universal a couple of years ago, it alot more strait foreward and simple. If GV's are all honeywell, more power to ya.

blzr said:
has anyone used the Honeywell GNS? It is the most worthless gns out there. we changed ours to universal a couple of years ago, it alot more strait foreward and simple. If GV's are all honeywell, more power to ya.
The GNS and NZ series of FMSs are at in 2 different playing arenas. It's truly like apples and oranges. I do not even think a GNS would be compatible with anything newer than a GIV. It's my understanding the SPZ suite is required to use Honeywell FMSs. For the most part, I think people think of GNSs as GNSs and not Honeywells.

Looks like we have to replace "Bonanza" with "VLJ" :

If it wasn't for the VLJ, this country would be overrun with doctors and lawyers!

When I was part timing I flew a GIV (with SPZ8400) that had a Global GNS installed in the #3 position. It looked to me like the installation would work in a GV. It has to be better then that losertrack that Gulfstream offers to those who don't purchase the third FMS.

Last edited:
Hi!

The VLJs have much better avionics and weather stuff than the Bonanazas. THe VLJs have much more reliable engines. THe VLJs can climb much higher than the Bonanzas, getting them out of most weather.

Avionics+:
THe Eclipse is VERY integrated, and the avionics work very well together, according to what I've read. If u have an engine failure in an Eclipse, the Eclipse HQ will no about it in about 30 secs. via sattelite downlink. The electronic monitoring in conjunction with preventative MX is going to be awesome. None of the VLJs have artificial vision stuff in them like the Gulfstreams do.

Cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back