• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I didn't know this about GVs.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't doubt it. GVs have Honeywell products in there cockpits. Honeywell is a frustrating conglomerate of redtape, and often time prohibitive in forward progress in technology. They are being sued right now by Falcon. I beleive the VLJ for the most part are going to be using Garmin. Garmin, I beleive has recently gotten a stake in some military contracts which Honeywell has had locked up forever. Garmin's stock is on the rise and has been for awhile. I have again, only heard, that the units in the VLJs and the new Garmin Glass products are a single unit, able to pull and replace. The Honeywell on our computers have all kinds of auxillary MAUs FWCs NZs PZs that all incorporate into the small units on the center console. It is a pain in the @ss to work on them. From what I can tell the new Garmin will be able to be pulled out of the airplane in a few easy steps and replaced with a loaner unit. The broken unit is sent back to Garmin, and you go on about your business. BTW GVs are 1980s technology. The Honeywell Epic in the Soveriegn we fly is a joke, of course until Phase Three fixes everything.
TXGold

VLJs are being discussed on the General board. So what do you guys think about the VLJs that will be coming out soon?

1. They will revolutionize the small mom/pop 135 industry. Companies will be parking 25 yr. old Aztecs, King Airs, and 310s for modern, quieter and safer VLJs. The public will love them and Air Taxi outfits will pop up all over the country. This will also allow the young eager 1000 hr CFI a chance to fly a modern jet powered a/c and gain experience for the next step in his career. Also, professional type operators/ owners(Drs. lawayers, business owners) will be running to VLJ salesmen to be the first person to own a VLJ at their country club. No more Bonanzas, Barons, or Malibus for them.

Or option:
2. There will probably be a rash of accidents and incidents w/ low time VLJ pilots and the insurance rates will sky rocket. Plus, these aircraft will be a log jam at the lower FLs.

Your thoughts,

SCT said:
VLJs are being discussed on the General board. So what do you guys think about the VLJs that will be coming out soon?

1. They will revolutionize the small mom/pop 135 industry. Companies will be parking 25 yr. old Aztecs, King Airs, and 310s for modern, quieter and safer VLJs. The public will love them and Air Taxi outfits will pop up all over the country. This will also allow the young eager 1000 hr CFI a chance to fly a modern jet powered a/c and gain experience for the next step in his career. Also, professional type operators/ owners(Drs. lawayers, business owners) will be running to VLJ salesmen to be the first person to own a VLJ at their country club. No more Bonanzas, Barons, or Malibus for them.

Or option:
2. There will probably be a rash of accidents and incidents w/ low time VLJ pilots and the insurance rates will sky rocket. Plus, these aircraft will be a log jam at the lower FLs.

Your thoughts,

A lot of both options will happen. Doesn't anyone remember why the Bonanza was nicknamed the Doctor killer? Not to mention the 1000hr CFI getting into the same mess (in over his head)>

The Honeywell-Dassault suit was settled last month.

There are supposed to be a few VLJ's in BCT at the regional conference tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing a few of them.

HawkerF/O said:
"Adam Aircraft's A700, for example, sells for $2 million and has more sophisticated avionics in the cockpit than a $40 million Gulfstream G5, said company president Joe Walker. "

It's statements like these why they tell you to put the CRACK pipe down.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_on_bi_ge/little_jets_1
Actually this is true, the SPZ-8500 in the G-V certainly isn't leading edge technology... However the PlaneView system in the G-350/G-450/G-500/G-550 is quite revolutionary... www.gulfstreamplaneview.com

Just wondering what the next step would be for the CFI to VLJ would be. If they are successful, they would probably replace a lot of other flying. I personally think insurance rates will make it hard for the 2500 hour flight instructor to get in one, and the 135 companies will be buying up the cheap Citations, King Airs, Cheyennes, etc. that the VLJs will make worth a whole lot less.

I disagree with you guys. I have yet to hear of a VLJ with Auto-throttles, EVS, HUD, WX Radar that can be set for 2 different displays (Sweeps for the LH side, then Sweeps something completely different for the RH side) etc. The EFIS displays might be a little more advanced, but an all around avionics package: No way.

The Honeywell makes you think. No doubt about it. SOmetimes you even have to dig a little to find the info you are looking for, but at the end of the day, that's a pretty good all around suite. My Honeywell experience is in the Hawker 800A/XP, not the GV, and I'm sure it's watered down compared to what the GV has.

AS for the CFIs in the VLJs, it's not going to be as easy as some might think; for several reason, the main one being the type rating they will not possess. Here are the mins in order to just supervise a pilot getting "time in type" like these guys do now in a new Baron, KA, etc:
  • Type rated in at least one jet aircraft
  • 5000 hours total time
  • 3000 PIC
  • 1500 PIC turbojet
  • Previous experience as a flight instructor, check airman, or designated pilot examiner in turbojets
  • Able to work with pilots of all levels of experience
  • Operational experience into high density terminal areas
  • Knowledgeable and experienced in the use of aviation resources
  • A record of outstanding airmanship
  • A willingness to support Eclipse Aviation operating policies
  • Satisfactory training performance at Eclipse Aviation and United Airlines Flight Center
The manufactures are trying to keep a tight reign on who operates their aircraft even after they are sold. I think a loophole is going to be a guy that buys a Eclipse then sells it right away. Unless there is a "1st right of refusal" in the buyer's agreement, the guy that just bought the jet 2nd hand just needs to go get typed (if he is already typed in a jet their will be no restriction on his ticket) and then he is free to go do as he wishes with the aircraft and legally wouldn't be bound by the manufacture's training/supervision restrictions. I think these aircraft are too much for a owner KA or Baron or even a Citation pilot to just transition into. Those swept wings, speed, and not truly understanding the systems operations are going to get a lot of those guys in lots of trouble. When coming out of altitude and you pull the power back on a KA or Baron, it slows down, not so on these slippery jets. You can go down or slow down, but you can't do both. I think these VLJ pilots are going to be too dependent on the Avionics, and when the A/P signs off in IMC, they'll be too busy trying to figure out why and how to get it back on line instead of flying the airplane, and it's going to rain VLJ.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back