I demand first class when Jumpseating on AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly2Scuba

OK now that I got your attention just kidding...well sort of. Anyways, wondering if American Airlines typically offers First Class to Jumpseaters. I would be grateful to recieve a ride in the first place and don't want to come across is greedy$$$ However, my reason for asking is that I am thinking about riding on a 4 1/2 hour flight that on AA.com shows mostly just middle seats in coach left, yet almost all of first class is open. In addition, for a little less convenience I could catch a Continental flight using a vacation pass with an almost guaranteed first class seat. Not going to work, going on vacation (surfing and possible SCUBA). Anyways, should I bring a box of chocolates for the FAs or other bribery or does AA have a policy generally forbidding 1st class jumpseaters like my mother carrier, Continental. Thanks in advance.

Fly2Scuba said:
OK now that I got your attention just kidding...well sort of. Anyways, wondering if American Airlines typically offers First Class to Jumpseaters. I would be grateful to recieve a ride in the first place and don't want to come across is greedy$$$ However, my reason for asking is that I am thinking about riding on a 4 1/2 hour flight that on AA.com shows mostly just middle seats in coach left, yet almost all of first class is open. In addition, for a little less convenience I could catch a Continental flight using a vacation pass with an almost guaranteed first class seat. Not going to work, going on vacation (surfing and possible SCUBA). Anyways, should I bring a box of chocolates for the FAs or other bribery or does AA have a policy generally forbidding 1st class jumpseaters like my mother carrier, Continental. Thanks in advance.

Good luck. I would say that less than half of our CAs typically offer First to j/seaters. Why, you ask. Well, typically when our F/As leave the training academy they are taught that the cabin is theirs... much to the ire of our cockpit crews. So a lot of times when the CA asks the lead F/A if it's all right to put a j/seater in First, they get an attitude. We're talking CAs that don't have a pair, here. So these types of CAs, instead of standing up for safety and courtesy, avoid the whole scenario and don't even bother.

Now, we do have quite a few that, quite simply, tell the lead F/A that "this pilot is from So and so, and will be sitting in First for safety reasons. Just wanted to let you know..." and end of problem. Some F/As get pissy about it but it's the CAs aircraft in the end.

However, 90% of the time the F/As have no problem with it. It's just that it's not in AAs culture to really "pamper" non revs, like it is at other airlines. Sorry... if it was up to me I'd change it in a heartbeat. In fact when I'm on a trip I go out of my way to convince CAs and F/As (if they forget) to put jumpseaters in First. And I will always be that way as a CA. (when I upgrade in 30 years...)

Never hurts to come bearing gifts! That just might do the trick.. Good luck.

Go to costco, not sams or walmart because they are the spawn of satan. Buy several bags of chocolate or better yet a few boxes of their truffles. Prior to every trip make two bags filled with enough treats so each fa gets three or four pieces.(if you commute more than one leg to and from work eat all of the chocolates yourself and then quit aviation). After you introduce yourself to the lead and meet the flight crew give the lead the bag-o-chocolate. If she doesn't blow you right there in the galley (the truffles seem to have this affect) you are at least guaranteed a first class seat.

You would also be listed D6 at AA. After all the rev upgrades get sorted, any positive space employees, employees (D1 & D2), buddy passes (D3) get sorted out then the captain could request a 1st class seat for any D6. Gifts for the fas will never hurt.
Usually 1st is filled after rev upgrades and a couple of D1s (especially to vacation destinations). Good luck though. BTW I am offered a 1st class seat while jumpseating on NWA more than any other airline.

aa73 said:
Never hurts to come bearing gifts! That just might do the trick.. Good luck.

You want more Donuts, don't you? To lazy to walk from the crash pad to Dunkin' Donuts? I kmow it's cold, but jeez!

LowlyPropCapt said:
You want more Donuts, don't you? To lazy to walk from the crash pad to Dunkin' Donuts? I kmow it's cold, but jeez!

I think you've finally cracked the code!

Thrown in a few glazed ones too, Beotch!

:beer:

I recently rode on an AA 767 from LAX to JFK. The FO asked the FA's to put me in first, which they did. It was a great experience. Cabin crew was awesome as was the flight crew. Thanks AA!

Oddly enough...the lead FA was pleasantly shocked when I introduced myself prior to going to the cockpit. She said most pilots don't.

-Neal

I got a real kick out of jumping on Continental the other day. Showed up at the gate about 1:15 prior to the flight and spoke with the agent. She said that my ride needed to be approved by the Captain and then she would do the paperwork. Well I asked her if she could hold a seat and there was no problem with that. The flight was delayed and pushed against another one so a few people jumped to the earlier flight. The baby 737 had about 40 seats open with 3 seats open in the front. When I finally got my seat, of course it was a middle seat and I was in uniform. This looks pretty bad when a guy in uniform is squashed between two people, when virtually every middle seat is open and you obviously didn't get a seat earlier. It was almost like the people at CO are making a point. As I strolled by those open seats in first and all the folks sitting nicely with a seat open between them, I wondered about how we treat jumpseaters. Our Captains bump company people on business so that they can accomodate guys from other airlines. They even cater extra meals if they know others will be on the flight deck. Sure the ride may not be so nice, but a middle seat on a 737 is torture.

I know some of you will now raise the whole "privilege" issue, but we reciprocate an awful lot, too. And we always try our best.

Brown Cow said:
I got a real kick out of jumping on Continental the other day. Showed up at the gate about 1:15 prior to the flight and spoke with the agent. She said that my ride needed to be approved by the Captain and then she would do the paperwork. Well I asked her if she could hold a seat and there was no problem with that. The flight was delayed and pushed against another one so a few people jumped to the earlier flight. The baby 737 had about 40 seats open with 3 seats open in the front. When I finally got my seat, of course it was a middle seat and I was in uniform. This looks pretty bad when a guy in uniform is squashed between two people, when virtually every middle seat is open and you obviously didn't get a seat earlier. It was almost like the people at CO are making a point. As I strolled by those open seats in first and all the folks sitting nicely with a seat open between them, I wondered about how we treat jumpseaters. Our Captains bump company people on business so that they can accomodate guys from other airlines. They even cater extra meals if they know others will be on the flight deck. Sure the ride may not be so nice, but a middle seat on a 737 is torture.

I know some of you will now raise the whole "privilege" issue, but we reciprocate an awful lot, too. And we always try our best.

CAL management recently changed company policy prohibiting jumpseaters from being placed in first class.

-Neal

"It's just that it's not in AAs culture to really "pamper" non revs................"

You said that right buddy!!!!!!!
I have been jumpseating on AA for more than 4 years and has been for the most a nightmare. From the unfriendly agents in ORD to the jerks in DFW not to mention few crews.....
I am about to publish a nice and easy airport reading. It' s small booklet full of stories (mostly embarassing) in wich AA folks are the main characters.

Sorry not a flaimbite,nothing personal against AA, just the truth!!!

Latest resources

Back