• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I demand first class when Jumpseating on AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my limited experiences jumping on AA I've been given First a handful of times. I even turned it down one time because I felt bad since the back was so open and it was a short flight. AA pilots always treated me well and for the most part the gate agents haven't been bad. I've probably jumped on them maybe 50- 60 times over the past 2 years.
I used to always bring some kind of bribe at first but no one would ever take it (usually candy). The pilots would balk and then the FA s would too, so i just stopped bringing anything.
I always try to list.
I always introduce myself to the FA. Sometimes they seem surprised or even put off by it. Sometimes they also seem put off when I ask if I can meet the crew when they are standing in the door.
I always try to state my name and shake hands with both crew members in the cockpit and have my ID out and ready for inspection.
I always wait to board last and get off last if possible .
And I always try to thank the crew after the flight.
Not a 100 % success rate but if you follow those suggestions your most likely going to be treated well.

Fly2Scuba said:
OK now that I got your attention just kidding...well sort of. Anyways, wondering if American Airlines typically offers First Class to Jumpseaters. I would be grateful to recieve a ride in the first place and don't want to come across is greedy$$$ However, my reason for asking is that I am thinking about riding on a 4 1/2 hour flight that on AA.com shows mostly just middle seats in coach left, yet almost all of first class is open. In addition, for a little less convenience I could catch a Continental flight using a vacation pass with an almost guaranteed first class seat. Not going to work, going on vacation (surfing and possible SCUBA). Anyways, should I bring a box of chocolates for the FAs or other bribery or does AA have a policy generally forbidding 1st class jumpseaters like my mother carrier, Continental. Thanks in advance.

I rode on AA twice..1st time (in ATL)I was new and was going through training when I got on with CHQ, ticket agent said I had to pay 15..20 bucks for a "zone fair" whatever the fuk that means to get on....I argued with her, the manager came over and said I had to pay to get on.... I was new..didnt know I could use my badge to get through security...my fault I guess

now over a year later.... 2nd time was 3 months ago in ORD
Asked the gate agent for a ride home to ATL, she was a little rude but I blew it off..I asked if their were anymroe seats in first class..she said they dont put jumpseaters in first class if coach is "not full"...I didnt know what to say after that..I waz confused..anyways I blew that off too and was going to ask the captain when I got onboard....Captain and F.O. didnt care, weer very nice...Lead FA said the same thing to me as the gate agent..if coach is not full, you have to sit there.....:(

During the flight, I asked the lead FA what kind of screwed up rule that is...havent you heard of professional courtesy..she laughed when I said that...I asked if she was a commuter, she said no

I guess it just boils down to people who do commute who understand, then the a$$holes who do not commute who will never understand

EMB170...I'm surprised you got a ride at all by getting demanding and 'tudey with them.

If the gate agent seems a little pissy, I wouldn't be demanding a first class seat. I have had a lot of sucess simply by saying that I would just like a ride home if there is room. I don't ask for first and I sure as hell don't demand for or argue about it. More often than not, I got it. If I don't, it's not a big deal.

Going to the captain and whining that the mean lady at the counter wouldn't give you a first class seat is a guaranteed coach seat in my book. Professional courtesy goes both ways.

I will second the previous comment regarding the AA gate agent nazis... This b*tch put out a 80 with 2 open seats in 1st class and left me behind because "you can not occupy a seat in 1st class" I thought she was joking at first, but alas, she turned to close the flight. I asked if she could call a supervisor, and in the meantime if I could please just talk to the captain about it. She said the captain doesn't control that, SHE does.

Latest resources

Back