• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I demand first class when Jumpseating on AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What ever happen to the good ole days when the Captain was in charge of his ship! It used to be the Captain would go out of his way to help a fellow pilot have a compfortable ride. The times, I guess they are changing.

Post 9/11 I was flying freight world wide with Dead-Head tickets back in the tail of many NW's whales.

After talking to a NW Captain in Narita, telling him about my furlough saga, etc...

He advised me to talk to every Captain on every dead-head.

I did and I've never rode in coach across the Pacific since.

That's the way it is supposed to work!

AA Cpt. "that is your lucky day today if you have a seat in the back,because if you had to ride the JS you would have missed work"
That' after I even brought 2 starbucks coffeee in th A/c.
When i asked the reason of his statement (in a polite way) he stated that twice my airlines allowed someonelse before him in the J/s.

Atlanta airport. AA Agent: Sir do you have a pass? Me:hum .. I believe I am a d6 rider.

AA ag: No you MUSt have a pass given from your company.

Me: Ok let me check w/ our J/s coord. maybe something has changed.
Me again: well he said that I should be fine by listing as D6.
AA Ag.(now on the edgy edgy side): I am not putting you on board without that form...

And so on...( I have 35 more of those if you want, like the crossing the cabin to go to the restroom.......that was plain embarassing in front of pax...)

I always acted respectfully, introduced myself to the crew F/A first. stayed outside the A/c handed over the paperwork never said an akward or stupid comment, never said an extra word that would compromise me.

Luckly not every experience was negative.
I was just pointing out few situations.
Oh by the way I wasn' t the one calling AA skynazi.....................

BluDevAv8r said:
I recently rode on an AA 767 from LAX to JFK. The FO asked the FA's to put me in first, which they did. It was a great experience. Cabin crew was awesome as was the flight crew. Thanks AA!

Oddly enough...the lead FA was pleasantly shocked when I introduced myself prior to going to the cockpit. She said most pilots don't.

-Neal

Neal,

Excellent idea! I have been doing that lately. I extend my hand and introduce myself to the number one, or all FAs up front. It makes them feel part of the process and more inclined to get a better seat. Not to mention it is a polite gesture.

To the original thread post. I have seen people bring chocolate. I don't eat sweets, but the FAs will be very receptive. As for other non-revs, keep an eye out on this. Anything over 2.5 hours and I pay to fly up front, many non-revs have a but limit in coach.

When are you going, and what flight. PM and I will look at the list for you.

AA

Now that I think about it, the lead FA on AA has told me to sit in First on her own authority a number of times.

shindler said:
Luckly not every experience was negative.
I was just pointing out few situations.

And there is the jist of your point. These are all situations I have experienced jumpseating on just about EVERY airline in the US. There are always bad experiences here and there, but for the most part everyone is pretty pleasant.

radarlove said:
Rudest pilots: United (old United). Rudest gate agents: AA. They hate jumpseaters. Twice I've had AA gate agents simply not give my paperwork to the crew or let me board and I got to watch a not-full airplane push back. Thanks for the ride...not.

I fly for Eagle and the AA agents hate us worse than anyone. Jumpseaters from other airlines get treated like royalty compared to the rudeness, snide looks and lousy treatment we take. Believe me. In most cases there is NO WAY we will get anything but a middle seat if they can help it and usually we are not given a boarding pass until 3-5 minutes before departure time. I non-reved last month and the last passenger boarded a full ten minutes before I was given my boarding pass (three minutes before push back) even though there were many seats open. There are exceptions of course but this is the norm in my experience.

IHF

I Hate Freight said:
I non-reved last month and the last passenger boarded a full ten minutes before I was given my boarding pass (three minutes before push back) even though there were many seats open. There are exceptions of course but this is the norm in my experience.

IHF

That is what I HATE about AA. Here you are, with your Travelpro and paperwork, given the boarding pass two minutes prior to push...the crew is doing the checklist, the overhead compartments are full, or at least closed so you have no clue where to put your bags...what a drag. It's so much nicer to go down first when nobody is rushed and they're not trying to close the door.

In the last decade, I have commuted from Texas to: Detroit, Myrtle Beach, Newark, Cleveland, Phoenix, and Fort Lauderdale. I've begged rides from: American, Delta, Continental, Southwest, Northwest, AmericaWest, United, AirTran, American Eagle, ExpressJet, Colgan, Skywest, ASA, Comair, and others that don't come immediately to mind.

Prior to September 11th, I routinely was given a seat in First by AA. Subsequent to 9/11, the only carrier to give me first was Northwest. One AA Captain did apologize for being unable to do so. AirTran sat me in business.

But I DON'T CARE. I'm just looking for a ride to work/home. I appreciate any seat, period.

Now to continue the hijack, I've had less than happy experiences with all carriers. And I've had wonderful experiences with all of these carriers. But in all of my years commuting, I've only had two experiences that I still shake my head over. One Major/Legacy Captain (pre 9/11)saw me waiting at the gate and proceeded to come over and assure himself that I knew who he was, and that I knew that the seat belonged to him and that I knew that he didn't have to give it to me. Mind you, I was standing at the gate counter, waiting for an agent and had not spoken one single word to anyone within a quarter of a mile. I was so astounded, I could only stand there and agree with him. Then after he left, I changed concourses and carriers, and found a different way to FLL. The other was twenty years ago and the first Captain of a multi-leg commute told me to stay in the back at the first stop. He noted that he was getting off, but that he would brief the oncoming Captain about me. I was sitting in an exit row and was able to see the crew exchange. The first CA spoke to the oncoming CA and I even saw him wave ing my direction. Shortly later, the oncoming CA almost ran down the aisle so that he could chew me out about not coming up to introduce myself. I stayed on, it was an intermediate stop with no other service, but my behind was sore for a week.

I learned from both experiences. First, I needed thicker skin, because getting a free ride to work is worth putting up with petty people. Second, never take anything for granted in the JS game. and Third, don't ever ride on a Captains airplane without asking him for the seat. Period.

In general:

With rare exception, every pilot I've ever asked for a ride went out of his way to help me out.

The Texas based CSR's are the best of the ones with which I deal.

AA's agents treat me real well at DFW-DTW-FLL, but MIA_LGA-ORD do not measure up to these other stations.

All of the Eagle CSR's are easy to deal with.

For that matter, almost 100% of all regional/commuter CSR's are easy going.

SWA agents act like you work for them :)

Let me end on a happy note.

Once in early 2000, I was boarded on a legacy/major carrier and found out after the door was closed that they didn't have a seat for me (the CA had instructed me to wait in the aft galley until all of the revs were seated, then take an open seat.) After they closed the door, the FA realized that no seats existed. It seems that the agent forgot she had boarded me. The cockpit js's were occupied as well. The Captain and the lead FA had a short conversation and he decided that he would let ride on the aft FA extra jumpseat. His carrier didn't allow me to sit there, but he couldn't bring himself to kick me off. I don't want to say his name, but you can be sure I never pass up a chance to give one of his guys a ride.

Finally, In 1990 when I was a lowly Beech1300 FO based in FMN, I was jumping from ABQ to AUS and I had the pleasure of riding with a SWA Captain who treated me like I was a long lost buddy. I imagine that he treated everyone that way. So, if anyone here knows Captain Tye Gregory, say that his kindness and acceptance made a huge and positive impression upon a lowly Mesa boy.

enigma

Jeez: I deadhead all over the place with a ticket, and I've only been offered an upgrade to first class maybe twice in 2 years. If I was jumpseating I would shut my piehole and sit in the lav if that is where they told me to.

FJ

it's amazing hearing these AA horror stories. i had heard DFW agents were the worst, but they have treated me golden.

a simple "hello <insert name>. i hope your having a lovely day. do you have the time to list me as a ....." followed by a simple "thank you. do you need anything from mcdonalds/<insert local food>/etc?" will do wonders.

Latest resources

Back