Hypocrisy at its finest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fletch717 said:
I guess because I don't sit around and count numbers on the seniority list it does'nt bother me. It goes along with the big airplane, international thing that I really don't think about either.

Snake is that you?

No it's not Snake.

Not if, but when, harder times fall on AirTran, those seniority numbers are going to a bigger deal to you.

If, for some reason AirTran hits financial hardship due to a recession, increased competition, or some other combination of factors that always hit the airlines, look out.

If that causes AirTran to park some airplanes and subsequently displace and furlough crews, those 80 numbers could be the difference between you being a "highly paid" AirTran captain and being an FO for $79/hour. Worse yet, it could very well mean the difference between you hanging on to the bottom or ending up on the street. How would you feel if you took a paycut because of 80 numbers? How would a smaller paycheck because of some SCABS make you feel?

I know, I know. "Not AirTran, it would never happen here. We're like the new generation of UAL's, AMR's, NWA's, etc, etc. We're immune to bad things and we all make 100 grand a year."

If you guys would stop congratulating yourselves on being the next generation of major airlines and commit yourselves to striving to be like the old generation airlines, your fo's would be making 100 grand a year and your captains would be making 150 grand a year; WITHOUT WH*RING YOURSELVES OUT ON YOUR DAYS OFF to make that much.

Keep lowering the bar, the rest of the industry is counting on you.

if if if

If worms had guns birds would'nt f**k with them. We can "what if" all day, I guess I'll deal with whatever happens when it happens. Until then I'l just keep on doing my thing.

For the last time I have never said AirTran was Immune to hard times or that we are the best out there. We are doing well and expanding in a very difficult enviroment. I hope we continue to do well because I love my job, I guess I don't relate to the sense of entitlement you feel that you deserve just because you work for xyz.

For the record I have 16 days off and 93 hours of pay. Thats pay not actual flying. I don't intend on working my days off.

Vabb if you feel that you deserve so much more, why don't you get out there and get it? That has always worked for me.

fletch717 said:
I know Ty, probably better now since he's been swinging in the crew room...
From what I hear, some people are never the same after their first probation.

fletch717 said:
As far as the pay thing goes, If you understand how we get paid. We make a very respectable wage (Me, 6th year capt will earn right at 150,000 plus 10 1/2% to my B fund which is not endanger of disappearing. And 14-17 days off per month)

Fletch,
sit back, because you are about to be humbled.

Source: airlinepilotcentral.com

6th year AirTran captain is making $124/hr with a 70 hour per month guarantee.

$124*70 = $8,680.00/month. $8,680.00*12 = $104,160.00 as 6th yr. guarantee.

You claim $150,000.00/yr in your 6th year. You need to fly $45,840.00 worth of extra flying to make your $150,000.00. Oh yeah, I forgot. You are also going to have 14-17 days off per month.

Just for the benefit of the doubt, lets say you earn an extra $1,000.00 per month for per diem, extra trip credit, etc. That would still leave you with $33,840.00 to fly just to get you to the $150,000.00 you claim AirTran is going to reward you with. Oh yeah, plus the 14-17 days off per year.

Well fletch, kiss your 14-17 days off per month good-bye. For you to earn $150,000.00 as a 6th year captain, you will probably have 14-17 days off the entire YEAR. Hmmm, what a bargain.

From the same website, here is what Southwest pays a 6th captain.

$170.00/hr with a 78 hour guarantee.

$170.00*78 = $13,260.00/month. $13,260*12 = $159,120.00 in a year.

Wow Fletch, did you see that?!?!? A 6th year SWA captain is going to make $159,120.00 without even leaving the house!! That's $9,120.00 more than you are going to make wh&ring yourself out. I'll bet the 6th year SWA captain will be really enjoying his 14-17 days off per month.

I know, you're going to tell us all how a SWA guy flies more legs in one day than you do. He also has more days off than you for the same amount of money.

Here's a couple more.

6th year 737 captain at American: $151.00/hr on a 64 hour guarantee. That equates to $115,968.00/yr, or $11,808.00 more than your guarantee.

6th year 737 captain at Continental: $137.00/hr on a 72 hour guarantee. That equates to $118,368.00/yr, or $14,208.00 more than your guarantee.

Fletch dude, you are getting jipped. You need to at least apply to SWA and try to get a job over there. That's the only way you are going to make $150,000+ as a 6th year captain AND have 14-17 days off a month.

Good luck staying awake on the job.

fletch717 said:
if if if

For the record I have 16 days off and 93 hours of pay. Thats pay not actual flying. I don't intend on working my days off.

Vabb if you feel that you deserve so much more, why don't you get out there and get it? That has always worked for me.

So basically, you are spreading 93 hours into 14 days, and it's not all actual flying. What is it then, sitting in the hotel or the airport all day??

You're flying your arse off dude. AirTran is one of the last places to pay their guys 93 hours for working 14 days out of the month.

Fletch,

Remember...you don't work at a Legacy so you have no right to enjoy your job. Why don't you just wake up and smell the coffee. Just like me....I work with great people, fly neat planes to neat places, but heck...I'm just a freight dog, right? Maybe AA will re-open their app window in a few years and we can finally move on to a better operation. FWIW...I've helped a whole bunch of legacy guys get ready for interviews at jetBlue, Southwest, and FedEx, and I don't see any of them pining for "what might have been..."

AirTran will survive as long as the website is the easiest in the industry to book tickets on (it is in my opinion), it has the nicest business class and easiest upgrades (again...my opinion) and remembers to take care of its customers. My biggest complaint about them is they stopped service to VPS a while back and are too scaredy cat to come land the 717 on 6k runway at PFN!

FedEx has 3% non-union. That is certainly NOT the same thing as being a SCAB, but when I go to work I chose not to let what I cannot control bother me. I don't think Ty, Fletch, or any of the Airtran guys have a darn thing to do with who was on the property before they even got there.

And one more point--the LCC's didn't destroy the legacies. Fletch and Ty didn't wake up and along with other pilots at LCC decided to try to ruin your job--in fact they wanted the same thing. The legacies squandered years of goodwill by punishing their highest value customers with ridiculous walk up fares. The internet revolution of the 90s made fare info aviailable to everyone, and suddenly travel agents and ticket offices lost a lot of pricing power. The fact that companies like JetBlue and Airtran treated even the "backpack" customer with value is why they have inspired such a loyal following. The majors are trying to catch up, and IMHO doing much better now than even 3 years ago in customer service--but for some it may be too little, too late.

You guys are responding to an idiot who has no afiliation with any airline, and is probably not even a pilot. Put him on your ignore list and quit wasting your time.

He really must be an idiot if he actually believes all those BS numbers he came up with and can't figure out how to get 93 hours credit without actually flying it. Or maybe he is just pissed because he CAN'T figure it out.

Jackass.

Oh, and I DO work for SWA and know just how much I can make by never leaving my house.

VABB said:
You're flying your arse off dude. AirTran is one of the last places to pay their guys 93 hours for working 14 days out of the month.

It's called trip and duty rigs, maybe you've heard of them? They add a lot of soft pay every month.

I just happen to have my past crewtime reports in my desk. This is my actual/credit hours for the last few months.

Apr '05......71/85
May '05.....62/93 (1 week vacation)
June '05....79/88
July '05.....72/87 (4hrs for checkride)
Aug '05.....79/86 (current projection)

After the bids are initially awarded we have the ability to swap with opentime. I usually swap out trips on my awarded line for open trips that fly less and pay more without giving up days off (usually 16-18). It's pretty easy to do

Vabb, Someone once said "you should never miss an opportunity to keep your mouth shut"

For july I flew 78.02 hours got paid 102.83hours 15 days off + 515.25 per diem

our contract has many pay overrides like a major, the average line for july was 85 hours of credit which is much more than a major. instead of flying 30 hours and getting 75 hours of pay. we fly more therefore our credit is much more.

If you knew more about our contract you would be able to understand how this works.

Here's an example 1 leg to dca block 1:44 dept 2020 arr 2204 RON
1 leg to atl block 1:51 dept 1405 arr 1546

block 3:05 pay 8:00

I have a bid sort program, I have it set up for 3day trips but I want max time when I work so I set my parameters for 6+ hours a day of credit . I usually get one 4day on my line which brings my credit up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back