Hulas' Forked Tongue Scrapes Bottom of Barrel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

We just had a new guy come in (going straight to the DC-9 w/ me later this month).

He could have gone capt at Pinnacle, but decided not to because he didn't want to fly with really low time guys.

cliff
YIP

Doubt it.

They should have started falling out of the sky by now if that was the case.

No, it's different now. For the last few years there were just some low-time guys here and there. It wasn't widespread, and most of the Captains had several years in the left seat due to stagnation after 9/11. Now all of the Captains are leaving and being replaced with new upgrades that just barely meet upgrade mins, and they're being consistently paired with guys with 250 hours. Add in some winter wx and you've got a real problem on your hands. I don't think the regionals will be able to keep up their safety record for much longer.

Yeah scary, as pilots get scarce your going to see alot of 1500 hour F/O's in the left seat paired with new 250 hour comm-multi in the right. With no captain in sight. Hope the guys at the NTSB have their overnight bags packed

anyone thinking of applying...do yourself a favor and go get a 135 gig for 500 hrs. If you dont hurt yourself then sign up to fly an RJ.

"GoJet sucks - Trans States sucks - We all suck" - Above urinal, A concourse mensroom STL

On the other hand, many out there will jump at the chance to fly a new jet............regardless of the wage and work rules.............
Just wait until you fly 801,802,803,804.

I can't say I'm surprised. Personally, I think some regional will start an ab initio program in the next few years. There'll be a cognitive test and you'll have to sign some sort of heavy-duty training contract, but they'll pay for applicants to get their ratings with an affiliated training school. Heck, they can work on flows/calls/SOPs from day one so they don't learn any bad habits.

Crazier things could happen...

I don't think the regionals will be able to keep up their safety record for much longer.

Well there is truth to what you say. Only time will tell, and for the time being we'll keep fingers crossed I suppose (pretty bad when were just relying on keeping our fingers crossed, eh?).

Latest resources

Back