• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hudson Ditching Left Engine Running at 35%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
" I for one think that they DID NOT follow procedures flawlessly, ...does the Safety Information Card show people standing on a wing in the ditching diagram? "

Key Word: " perhaps flawlessly." There is no such thing as perfection, or being without flaw.

And people standing on the wing....?

Maybe we had a plane load of Mensa geniuses that thought to themselves..." Why jump into that freezing ass water and die of hypothermia and drowning when I have this perfectly nice wing here to stand on.? "

And Burgundy, it takes a Springer Star to know one. Why are you always posting at 2 or 3 in the morning? Maybe you need to get back to the lab two trailers down.

Now, who's gonna' start the chair throwing?

Oh, and take those false teeth out that the state paid for before we go at it. I don't want my taxes going up. And tell that Wife of yours to "get back in the truck". No fair, two on one.

YKW

Last edited:
I for one think that they DID NOT follow procedures flawlessly, and the survival of their passengers may have depended on not doing so.

Checklists cannot be created for all conceivable situations and are not intended to preclude good judgment. In some cases deviation from checklists may, at the discretion of the captain, be necessary.

A big bravo zulu to the entire flight and cabin crew - these crew members should NEVER have to pay for a tab again; like one pilot blog author has written, he (A320 captain) doesnt even feel qualified to carry Sully's crewbags.

Bravo Zulu....

Bet ya won't see this guy on Matt Lauer.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/NEWS/901270312/-1/NEWS

var isoPubDate = 'January 27, 2009' By Patrick Cassidy
[email protected]
January 27, 2009
A Cape Air plane that made an emergency landing in Naples, Fla., Thursday may have run out of gas because of a mechanical malfunction between one of its fuel tanks and its two engines, according to preliminary findings from the National Transportation Safety Board.
A valve that supplies gas from the plane's left tank to its left engine was stuck so both of the aircraft's engines may have drawn all of the fuel from the right tank, NTSB senior air safety investigator Tim Monville said yesterday.
Flight 9399 was en route from Key West to Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers when it reported the loss of power in its engines and was diverted to Naples Municipal Airport on Florida's west coast, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said.
The plane glided to a safe landing. There were six people and the pilot on board the Cessna 402C, Bergen said. Nobody was injured and there was no other damage to the plane, she said.
Cape Air flies the nine-passenger Cessna 402C planes out of several locations around the country, including between Cape Cod, the Islands and Boston. The company's planes fly daily between Key West and Fort Myers in Florida. They also have flights out of Guam and nearby Pacific islands.
Cape Air mechanics and investigators replicated the valve problem and continued to investigate the incident over the weekend, Monville said.
"We proved repeatedly that the left tank was not providing fuel to the left engine," he said.
Although there were 12 gallons of gas in the right tank, Cape Air personnel suspected the gas had transferred from the right tank overnight after the plane landed, Monville said. There were 275 pounds of gas in the left tank, he said.
Aircraft fuel is measured by both volume and weight.
After the valve was lubricated both engines started and ran normally, Monville said. The plane was flown to Fort Myers and the NTSB asked that the suspect parts be removed and preserved, he said.
"It reflects very well on the training and the experience level of the pilot," Cape Air CEO Dan Wolf said yesterday.
The pilot would have been able to bypass the stuck valve to draw fuel from the full tank but seeing the nearby airport decided to land the plane quickly and troubleshoot on the ground, Wolf said.
With more than 25 years flying Cessnas the pilot, who Wolf declined to name, did the "smart and prudent thing," Wolf said.
The pilot told investigators that he had noticed a decrease in fuel in the right engine but believed it was a problem with the instruments that read fuel levels, Monville said.
A preliminary report should be complete within the next week and a final report within the next six months, the investigator said.

Most likely the left wing was 'slightly lower' when the a/c impacted the water. If You take notice of the pics of the a/c, the left outboard slats were completely torn free from the a/c. And, the first pics of the a/c in the water showed it turned to the left in the water, the nose facing NYC. The pics of the a/c, after removed from the water show the right slats still attached, and the right engine still attached but canted slightly downward, from the impact with the water. All of this info is probably consistent with the possibility that the left wing took the brunt of the impact with the water, and thus no real mystery....
PD

Not that I believe any of this cover up BS...
But the left wing slats were just fine until the FDNY tugs started hauling the aircraft to shore. I watched live video of the left wing getting beat to crap while hoisted up on the side of one of the tugs. I wouldn't be surprised if the left engine was knocked off by one of the rescue boats as well. There are many holes all over the front of that 'bus from being rammed by the rescue craft. (rescue and keeping it afloat was more important than scene preservation)

If it were some sort of non-bird caused flame out then "Sully" was in on it and had a pre-concieved excuse to transmit on the radio to ATC when both engines lost power? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

No wonder some of you maroons have been turned down by the majors you've interviewed at. You're lucky that the regionals you fly for really needed pilots at the time you were hired or you'd still be fish spotting...

Last edited:
I said NOTHING about maintaining altitude. I said it may have been enough residual thrust for sully to extend his glide in order to make it to TEB or LGA.

What would you know about it? You're not a pilot. But you are one of the more entertaining flamers here. You and instructor dude should date.

Latest resources

Back