HR5449 (ATC contract)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hold West said:
Together with a few overly-weary, underexperienced controllers in the wrong place at the wrong time, and I think it's easy to see the potential for disaster in convective weather is being steadily increased.

Let the flaming begin but I resent that statement. I've been with the FAA for only 4 years now, and was lucky enough to finish CTI, and get picked up 2 months after graduation back in 2002. After a lot of hard work and a complete personality makeover, I made CPC at NY TRACON.

The new bodies in the FAA may be underexperienced in terms of time, but from what I have seen, its those new bodies who are pushing the traffic, not going into holds, and are constantly thrown into the fire day after day. SOME of the more "seasoned" controllers appear to go into a hold when one little thing goes wrong, or put way too many miles between airplanes, and work long, stretched out finals at 160 knots. Management has now put the "new guys" into the fire, meaning, I have more time working final vector than most people in the sector--spacing is always good, nobody is slowed down too much, none of the feeders go into a hold. During SWAP and convective weather, us newbies are also constatly left on position for 2 hours and things generally run smoothly. This is just an observation and does not apply to everyone.

atcloser said:
Let the flaming begin but I resent that statement. I've been with the FAA for only 4 years now, and was lucky enough to finish CTI, and get picked up 2 months after graduation back in 2002. After a lot of hard work and a complete personality makeover, I made CPC at NY TRACON.

Bravo to you for checking out in one of the more difficult facilities in the world! No flaming is required. It's a simple fact though that I have more tricks up my sleeve after 22 years (or maybe just more appreciation for my weaknesses) than the average joe with 4 years in the agency. We play a safety game here, not "Top Gun". When things are going rotten, it's not how tight you can pack 'em, it's how well you can preserve the ever-thinning margin of safety and operate within the system that counts.

Keep up the good work back east and don't let the FAA lies grind you down!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Just sayin'.

Hold West said:
It's a simple fact though that I have more tricks up my sleeve after 22 years (or maybe just more appreciation for my weaknesses) than the average joe with 4 years in the agency.
Tricks? Who are you kidding? All you old head socal dorks know is to "SPIN 'EM" when more than one enters your sector at the same time. Try doing your job. Hold, you sound like one of the weakest of the weak tits out west.

You want competent air traffic control? Study under the Germans. Those guys are top-notch.

Good luck on your Wal Mart Greeter job there, Hold. Buh-bye.

BBB

Big Beer Belly said:
Tricks? Who are you kidding? All you old head socal dorks know is to "SPIN 'EM" when more than one enters your sector at the same time. Try doing your job. Hold, you sound like one of the weakest of the weak tits out west.

You want competent air traffic control? Study under the Germans. Those guys are top-notch.

Good luck on your Wal Mart Greeter job there, Hold. Buh-bye.

BBB
Do you ever have anything good to say? What's your issue with Hold? Get over yourself BBB.

3. CONUS centers dependent on a flight data system (URET) that has no effective backup

Hey Hold West, those words could have come right from the mouth of Don Brown! (Soon to retire ZTL NATCA safety rep, AvWeb columnist and all around good guy) He fears that controllers will lose the ability to "see" the air traffic picture and be helpless without URET. (no backup plan) Besides, he loves his strips! I liken this to a pilot relying totally on a single GPS with no charts or ground based NAVAIDs. Works OK 'til something unusual happens. I'm no controller, but I know I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. No system is so reliable that it requires no redundancy in the aviation business, no matter what any manufacturer or senior official with an agenda might say to the contrary.

I feel sorry to see so many jobs in the technical/operational segment of the aviation industry suffering such a loss of career earning potential. People who know how to do things are losing their value. Future pilots, controllers, mechanics and other technical professionals will not enjoy the same stability and standard of living as the retiring generation until or unless the current trend is arrested and reversed. Seems to be the end of an era unless things change. Those new controllers will not stay when their efforts don't pay off enough to live indoors. Pilots may be a different matter.

I have no idea what that guy's gripe with SOCAL could be. I've never done a hold in SOCAL airspace since it opened for business! ZLA might make SOCAL meter our releases from VNY and BUR for in trail spacing over PMD or GMN sometimes, but in the air, speed control, vertical separation and vectors seem to negate the need for holding. VNY, BUR and even LAX are about the easiest busy airspace to fly in anywhere. I guess you can't please everyone!

Best,

Last edited:
Big Bitter Bloviator came back? Still looking for a hug, BBB?

Hold West said:
No mass resignations - but a whole lot of retirements over the next three years or so. Mine included.

RETIRE ALREADY! Buh-bye.

Hold, you're sooooooooooooooo DRAMATIC!! :crying:

BBB

Latest resources

Back