• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How will 65 effect hiring at Atlas/Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BTW, a new base bid is out, and there will be some new hires going to LAX on the -400.

Won't everyone over in STN try to bid into LAX? I don't see how newhires could get LAX with people wanting to come back. Any idea if STN will ever go away... I think that would be the best for everyone.

Won't everyone over in STN try to bid into LAX? I don't see how newhires could get LAX with people wanting to come back. Any idea if STN will ever go away... I think that would be the best for everyone.

Yep, it is true. New hires in ground school hold LAX. They will probably be in LAX this time next year though after all the new hires behind them are trained.

Simple math. We are hiring 55 to 60 pilots. STN only has 49. Some of the STN guys are there because they want to be and/or didn't bid LAX.

Yes, STN going away would be a good thing, but look at FedEx, with their new bases, CDG, HKG. It's a sign of the times.

Yes, STN going away would be a good thing, but look at FedEx, with their new bases, CDG, HKG. It's a sign of the times.

True, but isn't that because they are building sort hubs there? Their flying will ACTUALLY take place in and out of those places.

From what I understand, the not much Atlas's flying at all goes through STN. Usually a commercial to AMS, FRA, MXP, LGG, etc. Is that not true?

First off, the STN guys, European or otherwise are not SCABs, so no, you would not be. There has to be a strike for there to be scabs, and Atlas has only had one chance to strike, and didn't in the last minutes for a multitude of reasons.

The STN base was originally a union busting tactic. It has serviced its purpose, has been neutralized and is only being filled with ALPA represented pilots.

BTW, a new base bid is out, and there will be some new hires going to LAX on the -400.

Sorry for the poor choice of a word... Just finished reading another thread where they were mentioned as such... anyways, I know better.

What kind of trips do you guys do? How many days in a row are you out? How is QOL? Could you live somewhere else in Europe and be based there? Would you wanting to be based in Europe be attractive to whomever does the hiring? Thanks.

What kind of trips do you guys do? How many days in a row are you out? How is QOL? Could you live somewhere else in Europe and be based there? Would you wanting to be based in Europe be attractive to whomever does the hiring? Thanks.

If you decide to live in Europe, QOL is much better than commuters, obviously. You can live anywhere in Europe, and if the ticket to get where they need you is less than a ticket from STN, they will buy the ticket. No flights begin in STN, so you would have to work with travel to begin your trip. Your standby would be at home, since you'd already be in Europe. And no, I don't think it makes a difference in being hired.

I have not been based in STN, so if anyone has better info, please jump in.

Hi!

The basing in STN is complicated.

Technically, US citizens can NOT live in England, like some of the Atlas guys are doing, but Atlas and the gov't have worked something out. There is a bunch of info on that on this site-other threads.

The key is you don't have to live there anymore-you just get flown their by Atlas.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back