• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How will 65 effect hiring at Atlas/Polar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a friend who is trying to get into Polar and they told him that now there are 30 Polar guys sticking around since they can due to the age 65 ruling. No word on Atlas my guess is that it would be simular to Polar.

Atlas has recently done a union coordinated preferential hiring of the recently furloughed guys from Kitty Hawk. I think they hired a class of 12 for a Jan 7 class. Age 65 has allowed a few not to retire and a few F/E's to come back as pilots. So it has stagnated hiring some.

Polar also has an arbitration going on on how they were downsized and that will affect hiring pending it's outcome. Recent hiring at Polar was over reserve requirements for the recent DHL deal.

I have a friend who is trying to get into Polar and they told him that now there are 30 Polar guys sticking around since they can due to the age 65 ruling. No word on Atlas my guess is that it would be simular to Polar.

Who is this mysterious "they". There hasn't been a survey by the Company to determine anyones future plans. I don't think any Company is going to predict how long any one is going to stay around. You can do one scenario by assuming everyone eligible to stay till 65 does so and manages to not lose their medical. It's any ones best guess, if you want to work somewhere apply and try to get the job. Predicting when you will get off reserve, hold a certain base, upgrade etc was impossible for the past five years, it will be beyond impossible now.

Atlas has recently done a union coordinated preferential hiring of the recently furloughed guys from Kitty Hawk. I think they hired a class of 12 for a Jan 7 class. Age 65 has allowed a few not to retire and a few F/E's to come back as pilots. So it has stagnated hiring some.

Polar also has an arbitration going on on how they were downsized and that will affect hiring pending it's outcome. Recent hiring at Polar was over reserve requirements for the recent DHL deal.

Good for those guys. That's a nice X-Mas present. Will they be put on the 747 200s or 400s?

At Atlas, they originally planned to hire 100 this year, but 65 has changed all that. Now, they may hire 60.

Both A/C on the Atlas side

I'm a little out of the loop so I apologize. Does that mean the newhires will start out of STN (commute to Standsted)? Or have things changed where newhires can now bid bases in the US?

How many Kitty Hawk pilots were picked up?

Happy holidays.

Commute to STN: As I understand it, Atlas pays for you ticket from your gateway city out to STN and then pays for your hotel on reserve or until your first assignment. So, it is comuting, but without the jumpseating or sleeping in a crashpad bit.

Latest resources

Back