How USAPA's futile stand exacerbates the AA bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

USAPA Formed to oppose a binding arbitration award- they had pay raises and re-establishment of work rules on the table in 2007- and in one of the dumbest financial moves ever by a pilot group- set those aside in a futile attempt to renege on their binding award. Now they undercut every major airline and even Virgin America has a case to say they are held down by usair mainline wages- only allegiant pays worse- without mentioning the regional rates the e-190 pays.

Our system is dependent on pattern bargaining and each group raising the bar when they get an opportunity. Now, usair is weaker, lower paying because of this feud, when they could have been stronger and helping to raise the bar.

I am confident the APA will stand strong and show greater character and strength than most- but usapa has made the job of these 8,000 pilots much more difficult- and that ought to be called out.

At long last- usapa- have you no shame?

Interesting take on things. It would be hard to disagree with you.

Binding arbitration is just that. When UAL mgmt recently offered the MECs of CALALPA and UALALPA an expedited negotiation cycle (60-90 days) in return for binding arbitration on the remaining open issues (thereby taking our right to vote on a TA). We balked at their offer. Simply because we understand and fully know exactly what binding arbitration means.

The pilots of USAir agreed to binding arbitration when, after exhausting negotiations, they couldn't settle their issues internally. They didn't like the outcome and want to turn back the clock. It does't work that way. Yet they still feel it does and it should.

The Easties are complete wheenies. They have "sullied" themselves because they agreed to something, didn't like the outcome, and then turned into complete turds. A handshake from them or a signature means NOTHING. They deserve their low pay.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Good day in Federal Court in PHX for USAPA , 0 for 4 on request for motions. Hopefully a ruling by 4/12 and then the appeals of course.

USAPA Formed to oppose a binding
I am confident the APA will stand strong and show greater character and strength than most- but usapa has made the job of these 8,000 pilots much more difficult-

Are you making a "majority rules" argument? That these 8,000 are more important than what US Air has?

In other words furthering what east did to west -- "majority rules?"

No- I'm saying that USAPA has made it harder on every airline group to raise and keep the bar up- bc the RLA can be slowed to such glacial paces, opportunities for improvements are rare and need to be taken advantage of.

What makes it stupid is that east pilots won't win, and are operating under a severely concessional contract to fight that fight. My opinion is that east pilots would be better off accepting Nic today than continue to drag it out in futile protest-

The west could slander your character about refusing a binding award- I don't care about that- I just think it's dumb- and since it is- it is irresponsible to continue-

Just know that your fight is hurting the rest of the industry in pattern bargaining bc you have such a poor contract

Again, agreed. The Pickleballers are no better than Virgin pilots in that respect. They're dragging us ALL down to their level.

Its far worse than anybody ever imagined. New reports show that ****************************** is not only responsible for the the bankruptcy of a once great company named AA, but they are also responsible for global warming, word hunger, and child labor. :eek:

Oh, wait, ALPA gave away the pensions at the competition (the single largest cost that burdened AA), and oversaw the other wage concessions that put AA at a disadvantage.

No- I'm saying that USAPA has made it harder on every airline group to raise and keep the bar up- bc the RLA can be slowed to such glacial paces, opportunities for improvements are rare and need to be taken advantage of.

What makes it stupid is that east pilots won't win, and are operating under a severely concessional contract to fight that fight. My opinion is that east pilots would be better off accepting Nic today than continue to drag it out in futile protest-

The west could slander your character about refusing a binding award- I don't care about that- I just think it's dumb- and since it is- it is irresponsible to continue-

Just know that your fight is hurting the rest of the industry in pattern bargaining bc you have such a poor contract

East pilots know that seniority is everything. They have been through many mergers that hurt their progression. By default they're done giving seniority to younger pilots. They're just wired that way. Yes, the pay rates for the East would be higher if they had agreed to the arbitrated list. However, under that list they would be demoted to smaller planes, pushed to right seats and suffer losing their schedules! East stood their ground on the principle of West asking for too much.

A merger with AMR will end this stalemate. USAPA knows that the arbitrated list will be used in a merger as the only official reference point to seniority integration. The East pilots will be satisfied having held on to their seniority until retirements kick in and the merger is complete—"Mission accomplished."

Both East and West are equally responsible for where LLC is now. West is not innocent, they asked for too much and ironically have gotten nothing yet.

An LLC/AMR merger will provide enough positive incentive for everyone to move on and enjoy the seniority wave. :beer:

Well, that's one version of history-
From my sources- the biggest loser has been SWA- who was poised to pounce on the remains of USAir before the west rescued them. (Followed by AA and DAL who were going to pounce on the Intl routes) Which, AWA had to do in order to stay competitive w/ swa in PHX & LAS. As it is, the west lost Vegas- they'd have been done themselves if they didn't get the economies of scale of USAIR. But it's not a chicken and egg thing. AWA only needed USAIR bc USAIR was going to go ch7.
The point is, the BK contract USAPA operates under is what makes it dumb- I get your point, but as you state- the Nic will hold- and your BK contract doesnt pay well enough to make the short term upgrades you got for a very few worth it.
It's just emotional. You know what's more unfair than Nic?: going ch7 and looking for a new job, that's what. None here are unsympathetic to that- I very much understand that (more than you know) but often, moving on and forward is the wisest option. (kind of like getting over a divorce- )
The pilot career would have been healthiest if east and west had both failed and better paying airlines picked up the pieces- but I get fighting and not wanting to fall on your sword- since Parker pulled the trigger - the pilot career would be healthier than now, without question, if east and west would have moved on immediately to a joint contract- the healthiest option every day, is to join up- get over it- and get a joint contract.
The AA BK ought to concern every airline pilot. I assume you saw the Gary Kelly statements- post 9/11 rates were supposed to be temporary -if AA loses too much ground, I think we'll see that post 9/11 rates will be permanent and Swa might have to come down- which will put pressure on everyone
I'm not saying AA BK is usapa's fault- but it doesn't help

Latest resources

Back