• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to whore myself out?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is a list of some proven practical ways to build your flight time.

Get Your MEI And Fly Right Seat
You can fly right seat and log it as instruction given.
Become An Instructor
One of the easiest ways and the quickest to build time is to become an instructor. That time is all loggable, and you will learn something at the same time.
Fly As A Safety Pilot
Many IFR students need to build time under the hood. Offer to be a safety pilot in turn for a little flight time. If you are an instructor, offer to fly that seat for free.
Find A Friend Who Owns An Airplane.
Don't abuse this friendship
Offer To Help With Annuals
A lot of the cost in an annual is the time it takes to open up the airplane. Offer to help with opening and closing the airplane in turn for some flight time. This builds friendships.
Go Through The Hangers To Find Out Who Is Not Flying
Many times you can go through hangers and find airplanes that don't fly, only to find out that the owner doesn't want to fly alone and has trouble finding others to go along. Offer to ride along. This may lead to some PIC time.
Tow Banners
Banner towing can be a lot of fun, and is a great way to build time.
Fly For A Radio Station
Many local radio and TV stations are in need of a pilot for traffic reports.
Networking
Throughout your life you will find out that people get jobs because of who they know. Build a good network of people who can help you in your career. Make friends and have a good time.
Flight Cost
Split flight cost with another instructor to build flight time.
Establish A Breakfast Trip
Once a week at your local airport, gather as many pilots with airplanes as you can and offer to ride along .
Work For Someone Who Owns An Airplane.
Buy Your Own Airplane
This can be cost effective if you are able to do the maintenance yourself.
Partnership
Buy an airplane with another person. If you are an instructor, fly with them, and you can log the time.
Buy All Your Time
Very costly!!
Practice Approaches
There are many IFR students who need safety pilots who will let you fly an approach or two for helping them out.
Find VFR Pilots
Find VFR pilots that own their own planes and offer to fly trips with them to show them what IFR flying is about.
Currency
IFR pilots need to keep current. Offer to fly with them to help keep them current.
Wash Airplanes
Trade washing an airplane for flight time.
Corporations
Many corporations fly single pilot operations. Ask if you can ride along. Who knows, later down the road they may offer you the job. An instructor I know received three part-time twin jobs time this way.

This is from the main page of flight info. I'd say that in some ways it advocates flying for free. While I do not agree with the practice I think alot of people forget how difficult it can be to build that first 100 hours or so of multi-engine flight time at Job Bob's airport. <I'm now putting on my flame suit>

Flying an owner in owner's airplane is a Part 91 operation. Think corporate flight department. (Unless we are talking bona fide fractional; still Part 91, but subpart K). Flying a third party for compensation or hire (with the 3rd party providing said compensation or hire) is, at least prima facie, a 135 operation, and doing so under the guise of instruction could still subject one to a violation. The posts here have been concerned with carrier/entity issues. If an operation is a 135 operation--not only is a 135 operator certificate required, but the PIC (and, if required, SIC) must also have the required 135 training and endorsements properly recorded within the previous 6 months, 12 months, etc. This is often overlooked in these forum discussions. Most freelance commercial pilots in light pistons are not likely to have 6 month or 12 month 135 endorsements from a qualfied check airman, let alone a Part 135 operator certificate.
It has been a while since I worked a case in this area, but I do not recall "holding out" to be so pivotal. The inquiry was more on whether the flight was for compensation or hire, involving a non-owner third party, and whether it fell within one of the exceptions enumerated in Part 135. The case involved a single flight with a CFI flying someone someplace, for compensation, under the alleged cover of an instructional flight.
The original poster said he was going to approach local pilots. As a practical matter, I doubt it would work. The owners apparently don't know the poster, and the poster likely would not qualify under the insurance policies, anyway, at least not for complex/multiengine aircraft. And there is no evidence that the idea has any appeal to the owners, anyway. Who is paying for fuel, etc.? Most airplane owners I have known are looking, if at all, for people to contribute to the cost of the airplane, not (inexperienced, to boot) freeloaders. As for instructing, rather than the instructors here taking offense, it appears that the poster would be a detriment as an instructor, anyway. So, feel better that no student will have to endure him. As for myself, teaching instrument students was a productive endeavor many years ago.

Last edited:
Flying Ninja said:
Look, this isn't some flame bait. I don't have any money left to fly after paying big dollars to CAPT's flight training and not landing a job. I don't have money to get my CFI. My loan payments are already near $1000 per month which I still have to figure out how to make on a monthly basis.

What's wrong with wanting to provide a free service in something I enjoy doing?

P.S. I'm no longer interested in pursuing aviation as a career.

go get a job at walmart and act like an adult. btw, this is flamebait based on your title. grow up and stop killing the industry

lawfly said:
It has been a while since I worked a case in this area, but I do not recall "holding out" to be so pivotal.

It's not. Somehow all sorts of meaning has been assigned to "holding out". Like you said, it's really of very little consequence, at least with smaller airplanes. If you're conducting carriage for hire, you need a 135 certificate. period. All "holding out" does is determine if it's common carriage of private carriage for hire, which doesn't change anything, You still need a 135 certificate for either common carriage, or private carriage for hire.

With larger aircraft, the "holding out" issue becomes more relevant as it may determine whether an operation may be conducted under a Part 125 certificate or needs a 121 certificate. There's a substantial differnce between operatiions under those parts, so the holding out issue becomes important.

bump..

great thread.

preparing for my commercial ride and searched "common carriage" to hopefully find a good thread about all of this stuff.

Flying Ninja said:
Does anyone have any information or clarification on FARs regarding someone who is interested in whoring himself out as a pilot? Basically, I'm looking to fly on the weekends (out and backs) but I don't have any money to do so. My credentials:

Private ASEL, AMEL
Commercial ASEL, AMEL
Instrument
459TT/101ME

I was thinking of putting myself out there around the local airports to let people know that I'm willing to provide free pilot services. Would the FAA look at this type of flying as "compensation" even though I'm not looking to make a penny? If someone asks me to fly their airplane from point A to point B, would I fall under the "pro-rata share" regulation even though I'd be exercising my Commercial privileges but hire for free? It never occured to me to ask back in the training days if you can exercise your Commercial privileges but being compensated for free. I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm just looking for creative ways to go out flying for someone for free. Thanks for any responses.

prostitution is illegal in most places

sorry but i gotta say it ....with your attitude ..........please don't go away mad ,,,,,,,,,,,just go away ..... leave the flying to the ones who are willing to "pay" their way thru the ranks by working and scratching their way up the ladder.......................

Thanks, I gave up on aviation so you can sleep tight now.

Flying Ninja said:
Does anyone have any information or clarification on FARs regarding someone who is interested in whoring himself out as a pilot? Basically, I'm looking to fly on the weekends (out and backs) but I don't have any money to do so. My credentials:

Private ASEL, AMEL
Commercial ASEL, AMEL
Instrument
459TT/101ME

I was thinking of putting myself out there around the local airports to let people know that I'm willing to provide free pilot services. Would the FAA look at this type of flying as "compensation" even though I'm not looking to make a penny? If someone asks me to fly their airplane from point A to point B, would I fall under the "pro-rata share" regulation even though I'd be exercising my Commercial privileges but hire for free? It never occured to me to ask back in the training days if you can exercise your Commercial privileges but being compensated for free. I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm just looking for creative ways to go out flying for someone for free. Thanks for any responses.

Umm from what I gathered with the FAR's, you can't advertise your services as a commercial pilot...However if somebody happens to 'know' you're a commerical pilot, and has some work, then that's perfectly legal :)

Remember, holding out is a bad thing :D

Now by telling people you're a commerical pilot by 'bragging' to them is a big overzealous, and you might look like a jackass...and some people might want to do this ----> :uzi: to you, however it is legal :)

DJRobbioRobbio said:
Umm from what I gathered with the FAR's, you can't advertise your services as a commercial pilot...

OK, Specifically which FAR did you gather this from?

Latest resources

Back