How to save the Airline Industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ABXbooger

I don't fly people, but I just got off a pax carrier flight...oh my god how are you guys not making more money than god?

People everywhere, carriers giving away seats...30+ people in line at the Starbucks and the gate agent announcing we should go and buy food in the terminal before we get on board because there isn't going to be enough.

Amazing...

Last edited:
It's simple, the price of a ticket from NY to London in the early 70's is the same as it is today. Meanwhile everything else costs 5 times more. Since everything else costs more and is fixed, the only place to cut costs is labor. It doesn't take an economist to figure it out.

What caused the downfall of the industry? In my opinion, "Deregulation" in a quasi-regulated industry.

Last edited:
boeingdriver213 said:
Not just management, but maybe a little bit of greed on the part of some pilots of previous not so distant times...(here it comes)

LOL,,,what, you dont feel that a guy should get paid $240,000 a year to work 8 days a month? If your an exec at a corp and you make 240 a year your a$$ workes 80 hours a week and you probably graduated from Harvard. Well good news,,,neither does natural economic forces. A re-alignment BACK into reality is underway for Legacy pilots as we speak. Your comment is probably gonna get ya blasted by some crusty, clockin a quarter mil, but livin off 30k of it because of the train reck a career in this industry leaves behind. I mean come on guys a quarter mil to yank and bank? We're not brain surgeons. If you need proof just read any thread in here.

WillowRunVortex said:
If your an exec at a corp and you make 240 a year your a$$ workes 80 hours a week and you probably graduated from Harvard.

Is that so? How many lives is that "exec" responsible for when he goes to work? How many approaches to mins in pouring rain and howling winds with 400 people sitting behind him does he do each year? How many medical exams and checkrides does he have to do each year to hang on to his livelihood? How many years did he have to make $15k/yr while "paying his dues" while he waited for that executive job?

The comparison just doesn't work. That exec may work long hours, but he does it in the comfort of his big corner office at a computer monitor all day making decisions that probably aren't really going to affect much of anything (I wonder whether we should stick with the pretzels or switch to peanuts? Hmmmm, such tough decisions.) :rolleyes: He left Harvard or Yale and probably went straight into a job that pays $50-75k/yr with full benefits and a company car. If he loses his job he'll get a severance package worth a year's salary and benefits and he'll probably pick up a job that pays even more than the previous one. Sorry, no comparison to the wide-body Captain making $200k.

I mean come on guys a quarter mil to yank and bank? We're not brain surgeons. If you need proof just read any thread in here.

You're pathetic. What's it like to go through life with such a low opinion of yourself and your profession?

Mr Zog said:
It's simple, the price of a ticket from NY to London in the early 70's is the same as it is today. Meanwhile everything else costs 5 times more. Since everything else costs more and is fixed, the only place to cut costs is labor. It doesn't take an economist to figure it out.

What caused the downfall of the industry? In my opinion, "Deregulation" in a quasi-regulated industry.

So our tax dollars are supposed to "prop-up" unprofitable business? Thats what regulation was,,,,NO THANKS!

Edit: ps: I have a hard enough time swallowing that I am now going to pay for some United guys pension.

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
Is that so? How many lives is that "exec" responsible for when he goes to work? How many approaches to mins in pouring rain and howling winds with 400 people sitting behind him does he do each year? How many medical exams and checkrides does he have to do each year to hang on to his livelihood? How many years did he have to make $15k/yr while "paying his dues" while he waited for that executive job?

The comparison just doesn't work. That exec may work long hours, but he does it in the comfort of his big corner office at a computer monitor all day making decisions that probably aren't really going to affect much of anything (I wonder whether we should stick with the pretzels or switch to peanuts? Hmmmm, such tough decisions.) :rolleyes: He left Harvard or Yale and probably went straight into a job that pays $50-75k/yr with full benefits and a company car. If he loses his job he'll get a severance package worth a year's salary and benefits and he'll probably pick up a job that pays even more than the previous one. Sorry, no comparison to the wide-body Captain making $200k.

You're pathetic. What's it like to go through life with such a low opinion of yourself and your profession?

I used to use the "Im resposible for peoples lives too" thingo, seriously. But the fact is that an exec for a corp has little ol ladys as share holders that depend on him for their profit share for groceries that week,,,,same thing. and as far as the drop your pencil theory goes (office). We basically have a better office now than most execs. and no its not all we can do to keep the plane in the air. AND after 1st yr probation were Dam_ near 50,000, way more by year 5. Face it we're spoiled brats and the whole world has finally realized it.

Please tell me you are kidding......

There are not many 200K guys out there......all of that compensation is just loaded on the back end of their careers. Countless years of being away from their family......responsibility of passenger's lives and conract negotiation after negotiation...plus the whole cough routine and checkrides every six months.

You my friend are a TOOL

Latest resources

Back