Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

From a June 2007 aviation interviews.com gouge:

To fill you in, the 'her' is a Mesa lady captain, asked this applicant a question:

You loose GS inside final approach fix what do you do? I told her I would continue the approach till 100ft above TDZE and if I had the req...in sight I would land..she didn't lke that. But honelsty I don't think she knew! She first said the MDA changes..but I don't think that is right if you are already inside the FAF. Then she said, I should go missed! I asked some people after the interview and they agreed with me..so double check what you would do.

Wow. Lose the Glideslope and you're gonna descend to 100 ft above the TDZE lights?!?!

Seriously?!?!?

"She said the MDA changes and go missed"

Duh! The lady captain is absolutely correct. You have to now use the LOC mins, since the glideslope is out of service. MDA changes, you must use the higher LOC only mins. Go Missed, brief the LOC-only approach, and then shoot the approach again.

Check his attitude: "I don't think she knew" LOL!

The scariest part is not just the fact this applicant responded he'd go down to 100 feet above the lights if he lost the glideslope... the scariest part is that his OTHER friends ALL AGREED with him.

Man, the money I would pay to see the look on the face of a Mesa IOE captain if his/her new hire FO said to continue to 100 ft above the lights if the glideslope went out. :eek:

. . . and shortly after asking his fellow "knucklehead" interviewees what they would do, our would-be Mesa pilot slapped three people with one swipe. One nearby pilot was able to duck and say, "Nyuck nyuck nyuck," but was quickly poked in the eyes.

From a June 2007 aviation interviews.com gouge:

To fill you in, the 'her' is a Mesa lady captain, asked this applicant a question:

Wow. Lose the Glideslope and you're gonna descend to 100 ft above the TDZE lights?!?!

Seriously?!?!?

"She said the MDA changes and go missed"

Duh! The lady captain is absolutely correct. You have to now use the LOC mins, since the glideslope is out of service. MDA changes, you must use the higher LOC only mins. Go Missed, brief the LOC-only approach, and then shoot the approach again.

Check his attitude: "I don't think she knew" LOL!

The scariest part is not just the fact this applicant responded he'd go down to 100 feet above the lights if he lost the glideslope... the scariest part is that his OTHER friends ALL AGREED with him.

Man, the money I would pay to see the look on the face of a Mesa IOE captain if his/her new hire FO said to continue to 100 ft above the lights if the glideslope went out. :eek:
You wanna hear some stories? I got some stories for ya!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted that interview gouge as a joke. After all, there is no way to verify the accuracy of it.

Ooh ooh ooh, they should ask the TREADMILL QUESTION at the Mesa interview.

What was the website, again? Aviation whatywhats?

(muahahahahahah!)

I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted that interview gouge as a joke. After all, there is no way to verify the accuracy of it.

Well, here's the full gouge. It actually sounds like a real interview experience, and not a joke:

Interview experience:
The shuttle did not provide service to the Raddison bc it was out of their range. I was told they did, but Mesa moved to a different Raddison. Cost about 10 dollars for a cab. when you check in ask if there are any other pilots going to the interview and they will help you contact them so you can split the fare. I suggest staying at the Raddison. There were about 8 people there to interview with different levels of experience. Started off with some paper work for PRIA. Then they gave us the ATP 50 question written. Very simple, and I don't think anyone failed. We didn't get our score. After that they gave a little presentation on the company which was brief since they didn't have the projector for the power point. Then they asked us to go downstairs and they would call us up three at a time. There were three female captains, and one male captain doing the interviewing. When I went it was pretty lad back. She asked me some general questions like what was your most memorable experienice flying? wwyd if the captain at altitude got up to go to the bathroom and when he came back brought his daughter up to sit in the cockpit? Then she asked me to tell her three good qualities about myself. Then we went to a high enroute..be able to distinguish that from a low. ASke simple things like MEA, MOCA, MORA-why is it green instead of maroon? What does an MEA give you? What does a MOCA give you? What does the "D" mean in the NAv box? What about the "H"? and I didn't know what the frequency and distance ranges were for high and low? Look that up. Then we went to approach plates/ Briefed Chicago ILS and a Charlotte ILS. She wanted here me say what the visibilty mins were..I didn't brief that so I had to tell her where to find them[lower left cornere RVR...] Question about vis being lower than RVR..RVR takes presedence...Is Radar req for approach? Is DME? Look in the description it tells you! You loose GS inside final approach fix what do you do? I told her I would continue the approach till 100ft above TDZE and if I had the req...in sight I would land..she didn't lke that. But honelsty I don't think she knew! She first said the MDA changes..but I don't think that is right if you are already inside the FAF. Then she said, I should go missed! I asked some people after the interview and they agreed with me..so double check what you would do. Then I had to read METAR and a TAF..she stopped me after a couple of lines when she knew I could do it. Then asked if I needed an alt in DTW? the WX req an alt. 123 rule. That was it! She asked me what class date I prefered and if I wanted the CRJ or ERJ. Looks like Washington Dulles and Chicago are the junior bases, and upgrade time is less than 2 years for CRJ. Double occupancy while in training. Paid 70hr gurantee while in training. Which is 4 weeks of ground in PHX and then 2 weeks sim..somewhere there is a vacancy, and they pay per diem if you sim other than PHX. PHX is a senior base..but you really don't know what you will get. I think pilots in training are staying at the sleep inn btw. Good luck. Phone call good...email bad!

This is waaaaay too detailed and complete for it to be a joke.

My guess?

This interview was for real.

Latest resources

Back