• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How these guys got hired at Mesa, I have no idea

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I mean, when they said "Failure is not an option" during Apollo 13, that was somewhat heroic leadership.

When the chick CA goes into an airport in the ERJ and says "go around is not an option," well, you get what you deserve.

Yeah, that one was legendary for a while. :)

I wonder what happened to the crew that flew it in the morning. Nice preflight.

Well sir, Wonder no longer. All were fired.

ALPA was able to get all of the jobs back with back pay except the woman who crashed it. Still talk of her around the crew room. Never heard any story about her end with anything other than she was the single most scary pilot I have ever encountered. And I would call in sick if I had to deadhead on a plane that she was flying. And some did for that reason. Folks close to her said that they knew long before ROA that she was an accident looking for a place to happen. She also had been fired from two 121 carriers before Mesa.

The Aircraft was flown from ROA to somewhere with passengers. Then a maintenance repo to have it inspected and that is when it was grounded. They replaced everything from the trailing edge of the wing back. It is in the Delta system now. I don’t know the tail #.

We were shown the data recorder in GS and the plane stalled with the pusher 2 times in 300 ft. No go around because that was apparently not an option.

Last edited:
Whoa at ROA.

We were shown the data recorder in GS and the plane stalled with the pusher 2 times in 300 ft. No go around because that was apparently not an option.

Are you quoting someone else? I hope so.

I don't understand.

Go around was an option, the captain just didn't understand that just because maybe she couldn't take off on that runway, it didn't mean that a go-around was not available.

Anyone with more info back me up?

Oh, and I have flown in ROA many many times,

Go around was an option, the captain just didn't understand that just because maybe she couldn't take off on that runway, it didn't mean that a go-around was not available.

Anyone with more info back me up?

Oh, and I have flown in ROA many many times,

O.K. I was being Sarcastic. I thought you meant the FDR. O.K. They showed us a lot of stuff concerning the whole event in CRM.

I asked one of the guys who was upgrading to CPT. why a go around was not an option. He laughed and said that a go around was always an option. I whispered it to him because I was embarrassed that I had never heard of that procedure. He set me straight. We ended up flying on multiple occasions. Great guy. We did discuss the captain. He knew her personally.

Whew. You had me scared, man. ;)

Good study case for a CRM lesson.

He laughed and said that a go around was always an option.

Exception for fuel emergency, right?

If you have you have less than 450 lbs* of fuel in each wing (CRJ200), then a go around is not an option.
* Different number for different airlines.

Exception for fuel emergency, right?

If you have you have less than 450 lbs* of fuel in each wing (CRJ200), then a go around is not an option.
* Different number for different airlines.

Yeah, yeah.... if you only have 5 minutes of fuel in the airplane you probably shouldn't attempt a go-around. We get it.

Latest resources

Back