• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long is training at the Big-Boys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A large commitee is currently deliberating (while on full time trip pull) the use of the "tokyo drift".

They will begin meetings with an even larger commitee from Air Japan to determine how to best impliment this new procedure without actually having to do any training.

The short course for the "Tokyo Drift" around here is six months:laugh:

SWA:

High Speed Taxi practice: 2 days (In LBB*)

*Now 1 extra day in GEG (with emphasis on fading)

Asking every controller for direct: 2 hours

Carrier type landing practice: 1 day(MDW)

1,2,3 Rule: 4 days (to be completed on IOE)

Does this include interpretation and compliance with uniform signaling devices and signs outside of the airport ops area?

Seriously, if you have to ask this question by now wtf?

I read the article in the Feb 7 USA Today and got curious, that's all. I've been at one major and frankly, training was far easier, less stressful, and shorter, than any of the regionals I was at. I'm just curious what other majors require.

BTW .. the SWA comment was great! Well done!

Still looking for UAL and DAL if anyone cares to respond.

Well.....two days to learn how to work the french fry cooker. A week on how to use the grill. A couple of days to learn short order lingo....oh..you don't mean Shoney's Big Boy.....you mean Airlines than fly big airplanes. Then I guess I don't know....just kidding. Of course if you ever work at Mesa then you might have to take a second job at the Big Boy.

I suppose it varies. I did 737 training at two different airlines. Both took about two months to complete. Both used CBT heavily. About 7 or 8 full motion sim sessions and a check ride followed by a line oriented flight training session. oh and 25 hours of IOE.

Don't forget the half day on radio usage! Ask every controller on every busy route you fly "how's the ride" every time you check on with 30 planes in front of you and 30 behind you all asking the same question. And don't forget that all important prime message of reporting light chop and frantically asking for ride reports from any plane in the area within 30,000 feet of your altitude and insisting on a report from each useable altitude. Then saying you'll just stay where you are and tough it out.

Well.....two days to learn how to work the french fry cooker. A week on how to use the grill. A couple of days to learn short order lingo....oh..you don't mean Shoney's Big Boy.....you mean Airlines than fly big airplanes. Then I guess I don't know....just kidding. Of course if you ever work at Mesa then you might have to take a second job at the Big Boy.

I suppose it varies. I did 737 training at two different airlines. Both took about two months to complete. Both used CBT heavily. About 7 or 8 full motion sim sessions and a check ride followed by a line oriented flight training session. oh and 25 hours of IOE.

Darn you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing only it took me 2 weeks on the grill!

I guess great minds think a like, eh?

Big Boy ....oh you mean the restaurant with the all you can eat buffet. I think it is about 4 hours of video watching followed by some OJT.

Well, in many ways, the Big Boy never left, sir. He's always offered the same high-quality meals at competitive prices.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back