• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How far would you go for jet time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Personally, I wouldn't care to drive over 2 hours for jet time. I do some contract work on the side, and the farthest I've ever driven was 3 hours (to pickup an aircraft). Don't care much for that personally.

I know a guy that drives from Little Rock, AR to Oklahoma City just to ride right-seat in a CJ every chance he gets.

Nothings wrong with that I suppose, but he was even going to fly a trip down to Mexico that was going to overlap his wife's time of giving birth to their second child. Once the Captain found out about that, he promptly took the guy off the trip - and the guy was furious about it.

I also know a girl back home that flies commercially from Arizona to Iowa so that she can fly right-seat from time to time in a King Air 90. I don't get the impression that she's getting paid for it, and nevermind the whole logging time issue! She's a flight instructor with about 2,000 hours, so atleast she's building some real world experience and knowledge regardless.

Ahhh to each their own I suppose!

Ace-of-the-Base said:
Oh no. Now you're sounding like me. You're gonna get your a$$ chewed for that one. Just remember, leave English alone, she's under my protection.

Ace

Wow, I have protection now? COOL!

How much flamebait can I get away with?

CorpLearDriver said:
This guy may well be as you say "weird." But unless you know him personally, you can't say it is a certainty. And as far as people flying around in Cessnas for 30,000 hours, in the 70's when I learned to fly, there were a lot of folks that fit that mould. It may seem odd now, but it wasn't then. Deregulation of the airlines hadn't taken place yet and movement in the pilot ranks was dead slow if not non-existant. So instructing paid the bills.

CorpLearDriver .... The guy in HMR's post is flippin WEIRD. I do not even know but him but he definately WEIRD. Like you stated in the 70's corporate jobs were few and far between and the airlines would not even look at you if you were over 29.

Now days though ... 15 year instructor??? WTF? WEIRD! Now he goes to Clay Lacy??? Is that all he can find? Not only is he WEIRD but he probably lacks a few skills (whether it is interpersonal or flying wise) I wonder how many times he was turned down by Great Lakes and Mesa? Yes it is a broad brush to paint with, but we all have met this type of guy and he is most likely not the type of guy who want to go out with and have a few beers. If anything you ask him about some obscure reg because he sits around and reads FAR's in free time just in case some guy asks him how and where he can fly VFR at FL355 within the US or where he can fly at 300 knots below 10,000. (try and figure that out ... English I am waiting for your reply :))

Last edited:
G100driver said:
If anything you ask him about some obscure reg because he sits around and reads FAR's in free time just in case some guy asks him how and where he can fly VFR at FL355 within the US or where he can fly at 300 knots below 10,000. (try and figure that out ... English I am waiting for your reply :))

You mean besides Alert Areas and MOA?

aeronautic1 said:
You mean besides Alert Areas and MOA?

And more than 12 miles offshore.

G100Driver: Well, I don't (are hardly ever anyway) make those kind of snap character judgments. But then again, I'm probably weird to many folks as well. Never bothered me before and it won't bother me now or in the future. I do what I enjoy and don't answer to anyone else's call. But I do acknowlege your viewpoint.

Last edited:
Snap yea probably :) But it does raise the red flag that was why I mentioned. Let me put it this way he would not be my 1st choice and yes it would prejudice me. I know that there will be EXCEPTIONS to this generalization, but that is what they are, EXCEPTIONS.

Correct on the 12 miles, but how about the VFR at FL 355? Where can you both of these within 15 minutes of each other? (this was a CFI question for me when I took my checkride. The examiner was nice enough to call me the night before to get an answer the next day)

No the markets not really that bad, all of the replies pretty much sum it up. Guys who make the long commutes usually have good reasons... family quality of life (an apt in VNY vs nice place in Prescott) etc... some have wives who won't relocate.. he probably got word that his trip cncld then they sprung it on him about the 6p... who knows... hopefully there's some logical reason as to why he didn't just get a room. Hopefully he's not one to go around the block when he could have just gone across the street, ya know what I mean?

Latest resources

Back