Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How far east are you willing to go for an airline job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
China is the next world superpower, once the US drags itself down the oil wormhole. More and more news articles are pointing to the great advances that China is making in education, finance, industry and medicine, as well as exports to, you guessed it, the US.

The US can't continue being nothing but a service and consumer based economy.

It wouldn't suprise me if China has a active hand to play in the cost of Oil and the US's ultimate demise.

I think the Japanese figured it out, as is China, if you can't beat the US in a conventional war, buy them out.

sigh...

sb

Personally, I wouldn't go East, West, North or South for an airline job right now. I don't believe that any of them are worth it.

scubabri said:
China is the next world superpower, once the US drags itself down the oil wormhole. More and more news articles are pointing to the great advances that China is making in education, finance, industry and medicine, as well as exports to, you guessed it, the US.

The US can't continue being nothing but a service and consumer based economy.

It wouldn't suprise me if China has a active hand to play in the cost of Oil and the US's ultimate demise.

I think the Japanese figured it out, as is China, if you can't beat the US in a conventional war, buy them out.

sigh...

sb
Hahaha...when the aliens invade and start eating people...they are going to be hungy for Chinese. You think they came 190 million light years to eat McDonald's eatin' mo fo's? Nahhhh...they are going to be hungry for Cream of Sum Yung Gai.

bizicmo said:
Are my U.S. certificates good there or will I need to transfer them to something else?

The instructors from spartan that got "hired" from chinese airlines all had to convert their licenses to chinese ones. As far as i remember, it was only a checkride.

TransMach said:
BUR, no further. LAX, SMO, VNY, CMA, OXR and SBA are all west of there.

TransMach

more ditto....

Kingairrick said:
Personally, I wouldn't go East, West, North or South for an airline job right now. I don't believe that any of them are worth it.

and the best ditto....

You guys are misssing out HUGE!!

I went from a Texas military flyboy to a 744 FO living in Hong Kong. Cathay is hiring bigtime and has had double digit growth for years and is in the middle of an huge expansion.

Pluses:

Cathay made over 5 Billion USD last year and turned a 500 Million USD profit while most US carriers slide even more downhill.

Hong Kong is an absolutly AWESOME city. Red China?, this place is more free then New Orleans.

I fly the 747-400 as an FO for my first airline job.

My pay is around 80K USD a year, including my pension in CASH!!! Not in some fund the airline can dip into or take away. My pay can be as high as 280K as a 15 year captain not including benifits.

I can chose to be based anywhere in the world. I picked LAX and am going to be living in San Diego when I leave here next month. YOU NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE THE STATES IF YOU DON'T WANT TO!! but you can live in Austrailia, Europe, or Asia if you choose and the airline will pay for your mortgage and children's private schooling if you move to Hong Kong.

You have 19 Cabin Crew on the airplane that will feed you non stop and you don't have to pay for it!

I have 15 days off this month while topping out my flight hours!

The training is great, not to demanding and very straight forward. Very good instructors

Minuses:

I have been away from home for months.

There is a little anti-North Americanism here both with the airline and population, but it seems to be more towards Canadiens then Americans and it's from the Aussies and Brits, not the Chinese.

That's it!!

If you meet the minimus from the Cathay Pacific websight you should seriously consider this move. The Chinese economy is BOOMING and the Chinese people are getting more travel freedoms on a daily bases. Cathay has made a profit every year for the last 59 years except one. No US carrier can match thoses numbers.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back