Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Effective is the Bags Fly Free Program?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember, Frequent Fliers dont pay bag fees.

Winner, big chicken dinner! Bag fees only get charged to the expedia crowd who fly once a year. Anyone with any FF status due to a couple of flights no longer pays for the first couple bags. In fact it may build loyalty, because once you attain even the lowest standing at the airline, you get free bags where others don't, so even they feel like a VIP.

25 dollar bag fee and you dont have to stop in amarillo then Denver then Boise then back to Denver to get to Vegas. Sorry couldnt resist.

Frequent fliers do not pay the bag fee because of their loyalties.

SWA is full because all airlines are full on reduced capacity waiting for the next big drop off of traffic caused by all the future unknowns.

SWA has a good marketing campaign charging its hidden bag fees in the higher priced ticket. SWA's leisure travelers will not pay the bag fee if they are aware of it but hidden in the ticket price is fine.

I think the fare Southwest charges is fair. Besides if the ticket price is within a couple bucks either way and Grandma (travels once every 5 years) and is charged $20 for her back, she'll be upset and travel SWA next time.

I think the fare Southwest charges is fair. Besides if the ticket price is within a couple bucks either way and Grandma (travels once every 5 years) and is charged $20 for her back, she'll be upset and travel SWA next time.

Trust me, if grandma flies once every 5 years, she'll forget who she even flew on last time let alone any bag fees. The best thing SWA has going for it is that you have to go to SWA.com to get your fare, they always tell everyone they are the cheapest so most just go there and assume they are. Also, if you want to go point to point for two cities in the midwest for example, no one would chose to go through a hub if a nonstop was available. It's funny that they think bag fees are keeping their jets full, but everyone's jets are full. You know, everyone is a investment genius during a bull market.....

They don't go to London, Beijing, Tokyo, Paris ETC. Bag fees who cares, no First Class and business select is a joke. What everyone want's you to believe is the SWA love fest. Trust me it's not.

Last edited:
They don't go to London, Beijing, Tokyo, Paris ETC. Bag fees who cares, no First Class and business select is a joke. What everyone want's you to believe is the SWA love fest. Trust me it's not.

Don't be a hater stu. Go give brian some luv.

It will be interesting...

To see how long it takes for DL to go to "first bag free" for all customers if the SWA/AAI merger is approved and SWA gets a foothold in ATL. My understanding is that SWA's CEO believes ATL may become SWA's most profitable city once the merger is fully complete and SWA has setttled in.

And before you start flaming, the foregoing observation is made by a very loyal DL customer who has flown 100,641 air miles this year on DL, nearly 100k last year (Platinum status in DL's SkyMiles program), and about 450k, lifetime as a NW/DL customer.

On the other hand, I wonder how profitable southwest would be if they didn't own two airports with little or no competition. Force Love and Hobby to open up gates for competition and it might not be so lovely.

Latest resources

Back