• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you survive?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My wife quit her $35/hr Flight Attendant job to be home with our new baby when I was hired at a regional, at $18/hr, seven and a half years ago. We braced for impact & we've survived, even after having a second (and final!) baby just after my post-9/11 downgrade from Captain to FO. It has not been pretty, but we've maintained good credit & we're pulling out of the financial death spiral. As has been mentioned here, there are many options for 'side' jobs . . . I worked at a funeral home for a while. That was interesting!

A few months ago, I came upon a concept that completely amazed me. It's called a Money Merge Account, or MMA. It's a way to pay off your mortgage at a greatly accelerated rate without ever paying any extra. It's not a bi-weekly payment program, a refinancing scheme, or anything like that. It's basically a calculator on steroids. If you visit the website in my signature, you can learn all about MMAs. There's a great video that explains the system if you click on the "MMA Video Tour" link. The best way to get your head wrapped around this is to click on the link titled "Free MMA Analysis" and take the time to fill out all the info it requests. When you click "Submit", your info comes directly to me . . . noone else. I'll run an analysis on your numbers, email you the report, and give you a call. With a copy of the report in front of each of us, we'll go over every detail of what an MMA can do for you, specifically. The results are guaranteed and noone ever has any access to any of your accounts. This program has changed the way I look at money management and, if you have a mortgage with at least a few years left on it, I'm certain you'll feel the same. If you're looking for a way to supplement your income, you can do that, too. I'm almost evangelical about MMAs because I know that, for every dollar I'll make in commission, my client will save hundreds. Every American homeowner needs to know about this program, but few do . . . the market is basically untapped. Please visit my website & email me through the link you'll find there. Free yourself from the burden of a mortgage and/or help others do the same!!

Here's my question....how do you survive first year regional pilot pay.
quote]

When I first got hired flying turbo props at a regional, I was making $1120 a month (including perdiem) after taxes and other dedections.

Here's how year one went: I counted every penny I made. I lived with 5 other people and rented a small room in an attic of a house. I had "bunny ears" on my tv, my furniture consisted of a bed, a night stand, a clothing rack, a folding table (used as a tv stand), a computer, and several boxes to hold my clothes. That's it. For food I ate lots of ramen noodles, PBJs, pasta, and anything else that was cheap. I brought my food with me, in a small cooler, when I was at work bc I couldn't afford terminal food everyday. I needed to use my per diem as supplemental income. I didn't own a car, and used my bicycle and public transporation to get around.

Year two: I made about $200 more a month and was able to have cable TV! That was a big improvement.

Thankfully I was single and only had to support myself. If I had a family, I hope my wife is a "sugar momma" with lots of money.

Boy, do I have some soap for you!! You can pay off your mortgage while you clean your floors!! :D

Here's a novel idea....DON'T GO TO A REGIONAL!

There are plenty of better paying jobs that will hire you with your flight time.

Last edited:
All right . . . I had to be quick in that response to the Amway comment, now I have time. Typing doesn't allow me to stress strongly enough that my BS flag went straight up the pole when I first heard about MMAs! Two main reasons: it sounds too good to be true, and the banks have us trained. We're the customer, yet we allow them to dictate mortgage terms that favor noone but them. In Europe and Australia mortgage products have been available for decades that work like an MMA. In the U.S., the banks have gotten us all trained to pay them the highest possible total interest . . . they don't offer anything like this. An MMA is simply a work-around, allowing you to use the very rules and structures the banks have created to your advantage. I've been up for 20 hours, commuted & flown three legs with TS, so I won't bore you & I both with the details here & now. Please visit the website. Call me out . . . here, in 'public', with your skepticism. Of course, PM or email if you like, I just want everyone to know that there's nothing fishy about MMAs. I'll answer anything you want, privately or in public. Break the habit your mortgage lender has created for you!

Hi!

The last job advertised for USA Jet now says that you "have to move to YIP....and at least establish a CRASHPAD."

So, basically, the moving to YIP thing is over. About 1/3 of us commute, so you do not have to move to YIP. There is no "commuter clause" in our contract (there is no contract) so you just have to get there when you're supposed to, just like with any job.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back