How do you survive?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dharmesh1231

Here's my question....how do you survive first year regional pilot pay. Most of the pilots are single and for the married ones who are just getting into the regional market, how can you support your family with less than $1500/ month.
I am currently a US Marine...about to get out soon...have 1000TT 100 multi CFI, II, MEI and an A 320 type ...right now if I look at my lifestyle....I have a huge house on base with a 2 car garage (by the way housing is free) and unlimited use of ac in summer and heat in winter. Even after having a free house I still bring home 1000 every 2 weeks. I am looking into getting into the regional market, but can't figure out how to support my wife and kid with that kind of pay....scary...a cousin of my mine told me...just bite the bullet the first 2 years and it'll improve after that....any advice...

Last edited:
My wife makes alright money.. and we have learned to really skimp.. essentials only.

The one redeeming part of being short staffed is lots of 100+ hour lines... helps a little bit.

Its a tough year.. and I'm about to start it again(hopefully) for a big QOL improvement..

Good luck!!

cale

Dude, I did it and it sucked. It was the only gig hiring in late 2002. Luckily I got furloughed after five months. I basically got a free introduction to part-121 flying and didn't have to quit later. I went and got a higher paying non-flying job while I also worked at the Guard. Go on terminal leave for as long as you can to keep insurance. With only 1k hours nobody except a regional will touch you. Stay in until you get more time or a decent corporate job. Your standard of living is about to plummet unless your wife can get a job. Plus you have to get housing. Try getting a mortgage with what you are going to make at a regional as an FO. Good luck

Just move in with your parents!!

Pony...I hear you man...that's what scares me the most. My standard of living will plummet like crazy. Top ramen for the wife and kid for the first 2 years. Are you allowed to instruct part-time while having an airline job??? Or I guess you just won't find the time with all the 2-3-4 day trips.

You don't NEED a new cell phone-
You don't NEED a car payment-
You don't NEED to eat out-
You don't NEED to have the big screen TV-
IPOD
Hair gel
$360.00 Leather jacket

It's not that hard. you just don't get to live like your friends. You can't HAVE IT ALL.

My niece.......26 years old.
$220,000 interest only mortgage
$400/month car payment X 2 (for boyfriend)
every cable channel available on her 42" flat screen
600 pairs of shoes
Just bought a Coach dog collar for her puppy "cause at 40% off $50 is not much for this collar"

She is a hairdresser
Live-in boyfriend is a landscaper but a really "talented artist" She constantly complains about having no money

Where is the fiscal responsibility?

It's really not that hard

Last edited:
It's not that hard. you just don't get to live like your friends. You can't HAVE IT ALL.

And who would want to? People spend money on the most rediculous things, things that they don't really need, things that they don't really use, things that they don't even really want themselves--just that they think they should have for whatever reason. Unfortunately I think I've learned this the hard way, but making CFI wages has helped me prioritize and learn what I really want, and what I really can do without. Isn't the simple life the good one anyway? Who wants to be bogged down with all this "stuff?" Not me.

-Goose

Go to the club and be a stripper. Works everytime, and for the overweight they have heavy night wednesdays too.

Last edited:
I had a new baby and a mortgage and 2 car payments etc... when I started here. OUCH!!! Delivered pizza part time while sitting reserve.

Now, when I sit around bored, like at the hotel for a 20 hr layover in GTR, I take surveys online and make a couple hundred bucks extra each month. Thats about what I was making delivering pizzas a couple of nights a week.

Click my signature for info.

Latest resources

Back